What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I just watched Conan the Barbarian (the Jason Momoa version).

It was kind of fun to watch Stephen Lang playing a role outside his comfort zone, but a great premise and excellent cast was completely ruined by a bad script and terrifically uninspired vision on the part of the director.

They really should have spent a bit more time polishing the script before rushing to production. It was laughably bad. Then again, Avi Lerner is not a producer known for his sense of storytelling so perhaps more development time would not have helped.

Had no idea that del Toro was still trying to make that film, that is great really!
I'll keep my fingers crossed (but alas, not hold my breath)…

I gather that project is completely dead at this point, sadly. Even with James Cameron on board as producer, he was not able to get it greenlit.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/03/guillermo-del-toro-madness-has-gone-dark.html

I gather that project is completely dead at this point, sadly. Even with James Cameron on board as producer, he was not able to get it greenlit.

It might be dead as far as Universal Pictures is concerned, but del Toro is pitching the idea to other studios. Hopefully one of them is willing to take a risk.

Well, I'm not a big fan of Del Toro - but any Lovecraft project that doesn't come through is sad.

Now, if only we could get a director like Aronofsky or Darabont to take it on….

Still on my horror kick… I watched REC 2 and Quarantine 2 last night.

I've never seen the original REC, only Quarantine, which was the American remake. From what I gather, Quarantine was pretty faithful to the original, and I thought it was a decent movie. Quarantine 2 however has nothing in common with REC 2, which is one reason I rented both movies.

Anyways, I found both movies to be disappointing. I didn't like how the plot went from being about infection to being supernatural in REC 2. The production values were decent enough, and there were a few tense moments, but overall I thought it was more silly than scary.

Quarantine 2 was even worse though. They threw away the original setting for an airport terminal, and just about every aspect of the film was bad, imo. I did prefer Q2's explanation for the infection over that of REC's, but everything else was inferior.

I assume you've seen Pandorum?

Not all that great, but it's worth a watch - I found.

Actually saw that one at the theatre. I thought it was ok but mostly forgettable in the end. I've never been impressed by Dennis Quaid though, and I think that movie could have been better with someone else in the lead role.

Actually saw that one at the theatre. I thought it was ok but mostly forgettable in the end. I've never been impressed by Dennis Quaid though, and I think that movie could have been better with someone else in the lead role.

Not a big fan myself, though I think he's ok. I thought the movie suffered from being overly dark and having too much style-instead-of-substance - but as you said earlier, it's hard to be too picky when it comes to this genre :)

I find it particularly strange, because I think sci-fi (horror or otherwise) is the genre with the most potential. Yet all we get is the same crap over and over and over.

Loved him in Dreamscape ... of course, that whole thing was cheesy and mediocre ... so I guess that says something. ;)

For those who watched The Dragon Tattooed girl Hollywood version- hit or miss ?

*I liked Pendorum for what it was , entertaining action movie .

Still on my horror kick… I watched REC 2 and Quarantine 2 last night.

I've never seen the original REC, only Quarantine, which was the American remake. From what I gather, Quarantine was pretty faithful to the original, and I thought it was a decent movie. Quarantine 2 however has nothing in common with REC 2, which is one reason I rented both movies.

Anyways, I found both movies to be disappointing. I didn't like how the plot went from being about infection to being supernatural in REC 2. The production values were decent enough, and there were a few tense moments, but overall I thought it was more silly than scary.

Quarantine 2 was even worse though. They threw away the original setting for an airport terminal, and just about every aspect of the film was bad, imo. I did prefer Q2's explanation for the infection over that of REC's, but everything else was inferior.

Quarantine is shit , original REC is much much better, unfortunately REC 2 was not equally good but it did gave out some more "lore" .

We had my brother and his daughter here for Christmas and finally watched Christmas Vacation full through - it is one of their faves, but we've only seen snippets. Funny stuff, think it is actually better than the original.

Grabbed a ton of stuff in the BestBuy / CinemaNow giveaway, and last night watched Harold & Kumar go to White Castle with the boys (wife is sick). Dumb but entertaining ...

The GF and I watched Aliens and Alien 3….

Aliens remains my favorite sci-fi film, and the "Special Edition" Bluray version of Alien 3 is better than I remember. Not particularly great, to be sure, but rather good in terms of atmosphere and such.

I'm STILL pissed the doctor gets killed during the first half. He's the single most appealing thing about the whole movie.

I really need to watch Alien 3 again. It's the one I've seen the least number of times, and it's been a few years since I've watched it.

I'm currently trying to track down a copy of the Alien Quadrilogy collection. It's also been quite awhile since I've watched Alien, and I want to see it again before Prometheus is released.

Got the Alien Q collection :).

Never watched it, though.

Bought myself today -

- "Gnomeo & Juliet"
- "The Padawan Menace"

Plan to watch both next evening. ;)

That will be fun ! :) - At least for me ! ;)

We watched 'Logan's Run' (1976) last night - free on Amazon Prime - and really enjoyed it. My 13 year old liked it quite a bit in spite of the laughably bad effects and sets ... My wife hadn't seen it in ages, either. The pacing varied, but was overall a decent flick.

Back
Top Bottom