Dark Souls II - Preview @ PCGamesN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamesN has a new preview for Dark Souls 2.

The new engine is rather lovely, as this time there’s no artificial resolution cap. It’s still not going to test even a modest PC, but at least on a nice monitor you’re not going to have to rely on a hack to get it looking any better than a smeary mess.

Minor tech improvements aside, the big stories with Dark Souls II include the decision to no longer offer prescribed character archetypes: From Software realised that players tended to spend their souls to essentially "multi-class.” Now players use a character generator, intended to allow players to instantly start tailoring their character to their play style.

Dark Souls II however offers some interesting twists for veterans looking to mix-up their play style. Characters can now carry up to three weapons and shields at one time, and may dual wield weapons — no longer will a weapon held in the offhand be useless. Oh, and if you were bloody sick of only being able to warp between certain bonfires, you can now warp between any that you’ve already found. So actually, it is getting a bit more accessible.

Namco Bandai are still holding their cards pretty close to their chest. While they’ve revealed that there will be multiplayer for up to four players, they haven’t gone into detail with how it will work. It’s not likely to be too different from before, but they are having fun with it. Take the Mirror Knight, the enemy at the very end of the demo and which the QA man hadn’t managed to beat once by the time of our appointment (and he didn’t during it, either.) A huge lumbering, almost mechanical monstrosity (looking rather Greco-Roman, unusually) could slam his huge, ornate mirror shield down from which enemies could appear. Excitingly, however, when played online these enemies could take the form of other players who have chosen to invade your world.

Well, I say exciting: the Mirror Knight is hard enough without that twist.

If there was one big disappointment with Dark Souls II it was Namco Bandai’s lukewarm response given to questioning on how well they’ll respond to the stability of the PC version in the face of the original title’s struggles with hackers, paying merely lip-service to doing what they can. As a series that relies heavily on a sense of fairness, more’s the pity some players are never going to want to play fair. But I hope that Namco Bandai makes sure they do.
More information.

How well did mouse and keyboard work for DS?

Depends who you ask. Some people were apparently able to play comfortably with K&M, but I found it to be a smoother experience with a gamepad, and I'm a K&M guy 99% of the time.

How well did mouse and keyboard work for DS?

Straight out of the box m&k support was pretty much nonexistent, with mods if became barely passable after a lot of configuring.

If you don't mind controllers play with one, if you have to have m&k ( like me) I'd say pass on it.

Hopefully they will spend more than 10 min. On m&k support for ds2 otherwise I won't play that on either.

Honestly, it was designed for controller, so it just makes sense to use a controller. Of course, I'm generally of the opinion that every PC gamer should own a decent controller for certain kinds of genres. M&K is necessary for, say, shooters, strategy games, and all manner of PC-only titles, but there's still a place for a good d-pad and decent little analog sticks.

The mirror knight…
could slam his huge, ornate mirror shield down from which enemies could appear. Excitingly, however, when played online these enemies could take the form of other players who have chosen to invade your world.

A boss that summons PKers? rofl, that's brutal! I wonder if people will be nice and let you win sometimes.

Now, that info is pretty awesome on it's own…. But I think I've found some secret teaser info hidden in there, dark souls style.

See, a big part of the previous Souls games was how all the weapons and armor from every enemy the player could acquire. Your "item find" stat, which scaled with humanity up to 10, would raise the chance that enemies would drop 1 piece of their equipment. For bosses, though, you got a Boss Soul and, in the example of the Moonlight Butterfly, you could forge into a Spear or Shield.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the player can get this Mirror Shield!

If the boss can summon players with it, what can you do with it? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom