Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

Well, I think it is a good thing to play games on as a mobile. What we need to see is some devs out there willing to make those deep games. And no, they won't be as detailed as a pc game in graphics wise, but that's not as important as gameplay for what it is being used for.

Personally, I don't understand why people get religious about these things.

It's a really cool gadget (or small extra computer if you prefer) - with a lot of cool uses. But that's it - so let's stay in the real world, whaddaya say? ;)

*sigh*

I totally agree ... no clue why people get such religious feelings (which, of course swing both ways on this issue) and a need to misrepresent reality to meet their own narcissistic viewpoints ...

The best computer ever was the Amiga - and I'm close to religious about this … errr fanatic rabid religious :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• amigalogo.jpg
    amigalogo.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 148
*sigh*

I totally agree … no clue why people get such religious feelings (which, of course swing both ways on this issue) and a need to misrepresent reality to meet their own narcissistic viewpoints …

I wouldn't call you narcissistic.

More like obsessed to the point of being slightly delusional ;)

Replace PC as the "centerpiece of computing" - come on, txa!

Sure, a lot of casual users have a tablet as their primary - but casual users are pretty far from having the PC as a centerpiece of anything already. So, if - by people - you're talking about a number of casual users, maybe you have a point.

You've embraced the iPad as your main computer - as one of the few "core" gamers I know - and that's cool. But I suspect even you know how rare that is for a core gamer.

As much as you want to come off as realistic and level-headed - you keep coming back to a point that's just not reasonable.

Subtle agendas can be hard to spot - but you simply don't strike me as neutral. You're invested in this - for whatever reason.

I'm particularly interested in tablets because of their potential, rather than their current limitations. It may never come to be, other tech or form factors may replace it, but I see tablets as eventually being powerful enough to replace desktops. I imagine a scenario where you could dock your tablet and use it like a traditional computer. Much like how the Ubuntu tablets are supposed to work. Of course, it would take much better hardware to get anywhere near replacing an average desktop. I have doubts that they could ever replace gaming desktops, but to the average person that wants generic computer applications -- web browsing, word processors, spreadsheets -- it wouldn't take much.

The current tablets, even Surface Pro, still aren't quite there yet. I think it would take syncing with a larger monitor to be usable as a desktop.

I'm particularly interested in tablets because of their potential, rather than their current limitations. It may never come to be, other tech or form factors may replace it, but I see tablets as eventually being powerful enough to replace desktops. I imagine a scenario where you could dock your tablet and use it like a traditional computer. Much like how the Ubuntu tablets are supposed to work. Of course, it would take much better hardware to get anywhere near replacing an average desktop. I have doubts that they could ever replace gaming desktops, but to the average person that wants generic computer applications — web browsing, word processors, spreadsheets — it wouldn't take much.

The current tablets, even Surface Pro, still aren't quite there yet. I think it would take syncing with a larger monitor to be usable as a desktop.

Powerful tablet docked with keyboard is basically a laptop, isn't it?

Laptops have already replaced "workstations" a long time ago for the vast majority of casual users - and even many mainstream users.

Sure, in the future - tablets will be powerful enough to do all desktop work, and they very nearly are already - but for actual work, the practical implication is that you're using a laptop. If the word "tablet" is important because you can separate it from the keyboard and the larger screen - then I'm ok with that. I'd agree we're headed in a direction that's more mobile and convenient - regardless of what we choose to call the computers.

But holding a small device in your hands and interacting only in that way will never replace PCs - at least not until voice recognition or brain signal interpretation is perfect.

Besides, it will take quite a leap to get the gaming industry to move away from the Windows platform - though I suppose it could happen if the incentive was there.

But even laptops suffer from being very inferior in performance to a workstation of a similar price level. Which means they'd have to target lower performance hardware - and that'd mean less impressive games. Nah, there's always going to be a market for games that take advantage of high-end hardware - but it might not be all that big in the future. It's already been heavily reduced from the 90s - where companies like Origin always pushed the envelope - because they didn't need to worry about consoles.

Last edited:
Yeah, the emphasis, in my mind, is on a fully functional computer that you can bring with you while still being much more convenient and portable than a laptop. Then, when at a desk or workstation, seamlessly taking over a full sized monitor for serious work. Although, I've been realizing that the "limitless power of the cloud" essentially already does that. So maybe in the end tablets will remain the amusing trinkets that they are.

Regarding tablets as main computer for work, that depends on the type of work. In hospitals it may very well become the main tool for doctors going from patient to patient, updating their health record (EHR) on the go. We have a project at work looking into that.

And when I was at the radiology conference in Chicago last year, I saw several image viewers for tablets. On a retina display, images are of diagnostic quality. I don't see the tablet as a radiologist's tool, as a standard radiology workstation usually has 3 monitors. But for clinicians it's definitely good enough.

When I'm attending a conference I now mainly use my iPad for viewing handouts and taking notes. In the near future I should also be able to use the pad as a terminal services client to access my at-work computer from far, far away, so I don't have to take a laptop with me for that purpose.

There are a few high quality, complex games methinks, games such as Avadon, Magic, dual of the planeswalkers (didn't bother to check the spelling), but they are far between. I think this has more to do with the market than the capabilities of the tablet (however, I don't see a game like skyrim being ported to a pad). When I'm home I use my desktop (or rather floortop) computer. When I'm travelling I use the pad, but I mostly play games like Tetris, Go, Mahjongg -I'm definitely more casual. Part of that is due to the fact that my journeys are months apart (correct English?) and I'm seldom away for more than a week. That, and the user interface, which I find cumbersome for RPG's (at least those I've tried) makes me stay away from rpg's. Point and click adventures and strategy games seem more adaptable to touch screens (those I've tried).

Pibbur who wrote this on his iPad

Sixteen pages of whatever under the title:
"an example why iPad can handle complex PC games".

Sixteen pages of something that doesn't need any answer as the answer is already in RPGwatch games database.

No iPad, iPhone, any tablet or any smartphone can handle this PC game:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/images?ref=0&id=136
And I don't even think it's a complex one.

Now guys, you really want to make 16 more pages? To prove what?

Sixteen pages of whatever under the title:
"an example why iPad can handle complex PC games".

Sixteen pages of something that doesn't need any answer as the answer is already in RPGwatch games database.

No iPad, iPhone, any tablet or any smartphone can handle this PC game:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/images?ref=0&id=136
And I don't even think it's a complex one.

Now guys, you really want to make 16 more pages? To prove what?
Nothing to prove Joxer this whole thread is nothing but a joke. The only positive thing about this thread is it keeps Apple Intimidationin one place.

Sure I could ban him but whats the point.;)

The only positive thing about this thread is it keeps Apple Intimidationin one place.

So true ... we had suggested (s)he post in different places or new threads, but this containment policy seems to work better!

I ought to open a separate thread but then again, better to keep some stuff in one place.

In the thread about DX iphone game I've said I'll never buy it as I think it's scandalous and instead I've deliberately installed something I'd never install on my iPhone - a free game.
It's called Paradise Cove. And it's actually not free but is very expensive - you get bombarded by popups buy this and buy that.
However, for that one and all such obviously false advertised games there are hacks that allow you to really play it for free, the whole game. Now a question.

If someone, not me because I don't care for smartphone frauds, hacks a game that's advertised as free and gets everything inside for free, what would happen if that one was sued by the publisher/developer? Would court punish the "hacker" who has a "free" game completely free, or would drop the charges because of false advertisment? Or something else?

Although this might be an odd question from someone who pukes on mentioning any smartphone game, the answer could be important. Because frauds like these on smartphones, so called free2play, are not uncommon on PC. Haven't heard someone hacked f2p PC game and made it completely free, but in case it happens, what would the court do?

Well the case wouldn't get thrown out for false advertising (because it's technically not) but it's incredibly unlikely that you would ever get prosecuted for individually hacking the game to make it free for yourself. If you ran a website where you provided that hack to other people then you might be more of a target for prosecution, especially if you made money from the website in some way. That's a big part of why piracy is so rampant, because there is very little risk to the individual user (other then whatever viruses or malware you might get on your own system).

I ought to open a separate thread but then again, better to keep some stuff in one place.

In the thread about DX iphone game I've said I'll never buy it as I think it's scandalous and instead I've deliberately installed something I'd never install on my iPhone - a free game.
It's called Paradise Cove. And it's actually not free but is very expensive - you get bombarded by popups buy this and buy that.
However, for that one and all such obviously false advertised games there are hacks that allow you to really play it for free, the whole game. Now a question.

If someone, not me because I don't care for smartphone frauds, hacks a game that's advertised as free and gets everything inside for free, what would happen if that one was sued by the publisher/developer? Would court punish the "hacker" who has a "free" game completely free, or would drop the charges because of false advertisment? Or something else?

Although this might be an odd question from someone who pukes on mentioning any smartphone game, the answer could be important. Because frauds like these on smartphones, so called free2play, are not uncommon on PC. Haven't heard someone hacked f2p PC game and made it completely free, but in case it happens, what would the court do?

In the thread about DX iphone game I've said I'll never buy it as I think it's scandalous

You repeat this with an emotional level as if the developers raped your puppy or something ... but without any context or explanation. Because it isn't the game you want on the platform you want it is a 'fraud' and 'scandalous'? If you have a point I would love to hear it ... seriously.

smartphone frauds

'Free 2 Play' is *real*. I haven't paid anything for Neverwinter or DDO or The Old Republic or freebie games on iOS or Android. I am not a huge fan - particularly the smartphone games, but that is because I think most of them suck rather than some inexact claim of 'fraud'. The only time I have paid for in-game stuff was when I was reviewing G5's 'Secret Society', and only then because I was gifted App Store credit to see how the system worked. And it works like a siphon on your wallet ...

Ah, ok, sounds like another example of how crappy the platform can be.

Back
Top Bottom