Arcanium Fast Travel

Cormac

Sentinel
When travelling I try to reach my destination without using the fast travel option, but since it's rather boring and I never encounter anything I always end up using it. Am I missing anything by doing that, that is if I keep walking to my destination shall I encounter places, stuff, quests, etc., or is the world really a rather empty place and I should continue to use fast travel because the manual says so ?

There are places you'll never discover by only fast-travel. What I tended to do was pseudo-fast travel to in-between places and explore some ...

Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind. I suppose I was out of luck every time I ventured out.

Is it Arcanum you mean? If so, you can discover all locations by fast travelling if you just walk near them - they'll pop up on the map. When searching for different locations you can create a zig-zag pattern that covers all locations, and it will find virtually all locations.

Yes, it is Arcanum. I hadn't noticed the typo ! Thanks, Maylander.

I heard about a lot of bugs and balance issues in this game. Did those things ever get cleared up? I actually have a boxed copy of this game but have never installed it.

Certain things got fixed, such as the lower level summonable ogres being far better than the demons and such(now it's the other way around), but not all. Fun game though, very interesting RPG because it has a different take on a lot of things.

Get the Co8 patches for the game and it's pure bliss!! I loved the entire concept of Arcanum and wished Troika had followed it up. Sadly, that was not to be and now neither are they!! :(

Corwin, I didn't know that the Co8 folks also did patches for Arcanum -- of course I knew about the ones for ToEE. I'll definately check those out, I was planning to start over anyway as I wasnt much happy with the character I created. Frankly, I dont know what sort of character I want to play and I ended up with some sort of melee fighter with somewhat good diplomatic skills -- but not good enough -- and some magic healing hability. . . a paladin, in other words.
Thanks to all for replying.

I think it was Co8, it was certainly one of the main fansites and that's the only one I know!! Do a google check.

I find it odd that noone ever picked up some of the great ideas in Arcanum. The industrial fantasy setting worked well, the world was good, and the way you could affect it was amazing - you did something one day, and you could read about it in the newspaper the next. Also, an incredible amount of sidequests can be solved in many ways with different consequenses (i.e the halforcs rebelling at the factory).

Yep, it was a game before its time and it tried to take the genre to new places and obviously not enough people wanted to go!! Strange that these are likely the same people criticising NWN2 for being generic!!

I always wanted to play as a techno-melee or gunslinger type character, but the reason I never started a game was because of the balance issues I heard about. Everyone complained that the game was a breeze for magic users, but very difficult if you tried to go the tech route.

Yep, the tech was much tougher. Not sure if they patched it to make the balance better, too long ago for me to remember!!

Everyone complained that the game was a breeze for magic users, but very difficult if you tried to go the tech route.

I heard the same thing ... after I played through as a magic user and was wondering what the complaints were about ;)

The biggest issue is the healing - high tech means you can't get healed by regular healing spells, as friendly magic won't affect you anymore, and that severly hampers you. The tech way of healing, various potions and such, just can't hold a candle to magic healing. Also, guns didn't have high enough damage to be any real competition to the most powerful magic.. still, being tech is a lot of fun though, creating all sorts of guns and other inventions - "Elephant Gun" anyone? :D

Back
Top Bottom