Was 2013 A Good/Not Bad/Great Year for RPGs?

Was 2013 A Good Year for RPGs?

• Damn Right it Was

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I Have No Clue

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Hell No

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • 2014 Will Be Better

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, I never got why Bioshock was considered an RPG. You might as well call the Batman games RPGs, or Duck Tales, since Scrooge can upgrade his health. :p

Well, it all depends on personal preferences when it comes to RPG qualification.

My own private "system" is quite lax - and it's essentially about what features dominate the experience. Bioshock had enough RPG elements to potentially qualify - but ultimately, the action dominated and the RPG elements were clearly secondary.

That's even more true in BI or so was my experience.

In System Shock 2 - the obvious spiritual prequel to BS - the RPG elements were such a big part of the gameplay, that I'm comfortable considering it an RPG.

Same goes for Deus Ex: HR.

There's very little doubt 2014 will be better, as it simply can't get much worse.

SS2 and the DX games are definitely RPGs imo. The Bioshock games are "RPGish" shooters. Although that sounds demeaning for some reason.

You might as well call the Batman games RPGs, or Duck Tales, since Scrooge can upgrade his health. :p

Joke all you want, but Duck Tales was fucking awesome.

2013 was not a great year. One game saved the year from being a total disappointment for me. Eador Genesis. I played this game so much the past few months. Just a fantastic gem and the mod New Horizons, just makes it one of the best strategy games I have ever played.

Was it not supposed to be a great year?

Where is that thread that, to establish that rpg as a genre was going strong, lists 2013 releases to show what great year it would be?

Dont worry though, 2014 is going to be awesome.

Well cheers to 2014:beer: Should hopefully be a good year.
We got Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2, Blackguard, The Stick of Truth, War for the Overlord, Witcher 3, Deep Down (this could possibly be the working title for the next Dragon's Dogma), Dragon Age and hopefully some indie gems showing up. I think we will enjoy 2014!

Bad year, but not really. Yes, there were few and far RPGs *released* on 2013, but there are many that were supposed to be released in 2013 (kickstarters mostly) that will be released in 2014 so, technically yes it was bad, but I see it more like the calm before the storm.

The year was very bad for RPGs.
It's not that there wasn't any RPG released, just there wasn't an epic one. And as coach shown on his list, instead of standalone RPG titles we had a year of spamming out DLC and FPS with RPG elements - and that certainly did not help to make the year better.

There are some really good games on that list, but they aren't really games that I traditionally view as RPGs. I think Avadon 2 is the only game on that list that I liked that really stands out as a true RPG.

So yeah I guess it wasn't a particularly good year for RPGs, even if it wasn't a bad year for games in general.

2013 had some good original RPGs. Avadon 2, Shadowrun Returns, and X-COM are the ones that jump out to me, but Driftmoon, Expeditions: Conquistador, and Realms of Arkania, have my interest. We also got a couple of good classic re-releases, with the enhanced editions of Wasteland 1 and Baldur's Gate II. Still it has nothing on 2014, at least for what is currently scheduled for Release.

If you're a fan of old-school PC RPGs, then we've got Wasteland 2, Blackguards, Eschalon: Book III, Might & Magic X, Grimrock 2, Pillars etc….then Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 for your open world action itch :) Of course, half of these could end up as 2015 releases, but even then, 2014 is the year of the RPG. It's actually an overwhelming number of good-looking RPGs. I will have to be very selective about which ones I put a priority on, because no way will I have time to play all of the good ones :).

2013 was pretty weak. Haven't played a single 2013 game, but lots of older games from my backlog.

Of course, 2014 looks much better. But every year looks better than the last because of the bow shock caused by delays. So it's not really saying much of value.

I think that Bioshock, Driftmoon and Avadon 2 were my faves ... Drox was an expansion of a 2012 game, so I am iffy on inclusion (though it was very good). Was Neverwinter REALLY only this June?

There where some good games with RPG elements in 2013, but I kind of missed some more fully dedicated RPG games.

Back
Top Bottom