Lefty corruption....again

Harassment of people who are responsible for the sorry state of affairs of our country, and aren't willing to do anything to try to fix it, except harass their political opponents? Yes.

Harassment of decent folks. No.

I assume you can happily document for me your evidence that this person is materially responsible for the sorry state of affairs? Otherwise, your "decent folks" determination is absolutely no different than that of the KKK Grand Wizard.

A Republican whose job it is to create corporate Republican policies? Good enough for me. Since it's such policies that are responsible for the economic meltdown and gulf disaster.

I assume you can happily document for me your evidence that this person is materially responsible for the sorry state of affairs? Otherwise, your "decent folks" determination is absolutely no different than that of the KKK Grand Wizard.

Why are you actually bothering, dte?:p

I'm either stubborn or tremendously stupid, Rith. I'm not sure which it is, but I'm sure several folks here would help me decide. ;)

I'm either stubborn or tremendously stupid, Rith. I'm not sure which it is, but I'm sure several folks here would help me decide. ;)

You forgot to offer the alternative of BOTH!! :D

While the oil spews in the Gulf, Obama fundraises for the midterms with the Getty oil heirs in California:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/26/MNOJ1DKAIQ.DTL
After the Fairmont event, which was expected to raise at least $1.7 million from supporters who paid $250 to $2,000 for tickets, Obama was whisked to an exclusive VIP dinner at the Broadway mansion of wealthy oil heir Gordon Getty and his wife, Ann.

Inside the lavish home of the philanthropist son of oil tycoon J. Paul Getty, some 80 donors wrote checks for $35,200 per couple to meet the president and have their photo taken with him. Boxer's campaign raised $600,000 from the two events, while the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee took in $1.1 million, organizers said.

Last edited:
And the other issue Obama's looking at seems to be a screw up by the Big Dog, who was said to have lost his mojo during the 08 campaign, and seems a little less than adroit *if* this story is true.
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...use-no-impropriety-in-discussions-with-sestak

Sestak, despite his tendency to grandstand about how sterlingly honest he is compared to the usual DC dirtbags, says it is, and he's not exactly Obama's best buddy atm, so perhaps it's the way it went down:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/sestak-i-said-no-when-clinton-offered.php

I love the comments over at TPM. Nothing to see? Barack admits that they sent somebody to buy Sestak off (after denying it ever happened for a few months, let's not forget…so much for his credibility) with a presidentially appointed position. Let's look at the text of the federal law, shall we?
Whoever, directly or indirectly, promises any employment, position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit, provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress, or any special consideration in obtaining any such benefit, to any person as consideration, favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party in connection with any general or special election to any political office, or in connection with any primary election or political convention or caucus held to select candidates for any political office, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both
Somebody's got to hang for this. Obviously, Barack will come thru with nothing more than another smudge on his already fuzzy record, but somebody's got to hang. If not….ho boy.

I wonder how the media will present this little hiccup. After Dan Rather's fiction over Dubya dominated every news outlet for weeks, I'll be a bit disappointed if they let this one drift by with barely a comment.

I'm wondering if this story will get any more traction with everything else that's going on. It puts another nail into the 'change has come to Washington" coffin, but it's a common political practice and that law you quoted has apparently never been used to prosecute anyone because it has a lot of loopholes. I'm also not sure if all the furor from the right and shouting about impeachment doesn't actually push public opinion the other way. I guess we'll see a few dozen polls about it next week.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that Joe Sestak is not going to be invited to the WH for a beer anytime soon.

The lefty media is giving this whole topic the "30,000 feet treatment" (fast fly-by with no real detail) so as not to embarass Barack and the dems overly much, but I think you've got it pretty much in a nutshell. The repubs won't be able to stir up much froth among the unwashed since this whole thing amounts to "meeting expectations" for our government and it will rebound if they overplay the hand. I think Rendell gets a "help that doesn't help" frowny face from Hopey Change, though.

That or the Joe Biden "This Mouth Never Closes" award.

The mainstream media is showing a little bit of foam here and there about it all
(Meet the Pres and so forth,) but it just doesn't seem to have its heart in it. The true lefty media is not happy—there's a big segment of them that hate Emanuel and all the dirty politics they never expected to see from their favorite unicorn rider( here's some stuff from Huffpo, for example.)

I'd say the usual post-election period of discontent and disillusion with any given president since Eisenhower has set in on all fronts. Helped along of course, by the oil spill debacle and stories like this. It's an uphill trek for Obama from here on, and I think he's going to have a hard time speechifying his way out of it.

I feel soiled. Filthy. I'm right on board with a HuffPo article. :puke:

I'm here to tell you that the media game would be different if a repub was in trouble over this. But let's ignore the whole legal/illegal question since it will never be pursued against this administration, and would probably not result in a conviction even if it was. If the repubs have any brains, they run a split-screen: On the left, Rahm (from February) stating that absolutely nothing happened involving Sestak; on the right, Rahm (from now) doling out the explanation of what happened involving Sestak. It speaks for itself and doesn't open the repubs up to any witchhunt accusations.

I feel soiled. Filthy. I'm right on board with a HuffPo article. :puke:
Don't worry, it washes off—with Dr Bronner's Organic Biodegradable Peppermint Soap.

I'm here to tell you that the media game would be different if a repub was in trouble over this…
Yep, then instead of FOX being peeved and MSNBC brushing it off it would be the other way around. Huge difference. (/optional eyeroll) ;)

Speaking of Huffpo, not sure which side this corruption belongs to, but it sounds rather like a scam to me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/31/detained-immigrants-census-money_n_595464.html#comments

(Detained Immigrants Slated For Deportation Being Counted For Census Money)

"Mr. Romanoff was recommended to the White House from Democrats in Colorado for a position in the administration," White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton said. "There were some initial conversations with him but no job was ever offered."

:rolleyes:

Shall I drag out quotes from Rahm stating there was absolutely no job offer made to Sestak? How honest did that turn out to be, eh? But this time is different, right? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom