Software recommendations for my new PC

I've been doing my research on all of this freeware and You guys have saved me quite a bit of money. Thank you.

Also, Gorath: I had no Idea Google collected information like that. Going to try opera or firefox by the end of the night. Now I am pretty peeved that my phone is running Android.

Destroy it! Destroy it before it gets to you!!!

Cell phones! Gadgets from hell!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh! *strangeling noises*

just wait until google software drives your car ( is is already driving some cars out there ) it will collect information about where you go so you can get custom adz based on that….

Last edited:
I type : toyo in the address bar, then it comes up with 5 or so suggestions including toyota.com.au, google search for toyota and so on…

It just makes things much faster and easier.

Even takes away the step of going to google.com…

Might sound lazy of me, but it really is nice and are features I would miss if I'm on IE or FF now.

Doesn't really sound that special to me. Other browsers also have pre-defined Google search fields you can drag&drop onto one of the menu bars. Some of them are also "intelligent". Plus Opera assumes you want to do a search if the stuff you typed into the address bar is no valid link.
So I doubt the gain in useability in Chrome is big here, if there is any.

I've never tried Opera to be honest, I've usually stuck to the most mainstream browsers except for MyIE2 and Netscape (which then became mainstream before disappearing).

I wouldn't mind trying Opera out if you recommend it as faster and more secure than FF and IE. But for me as a casual user, speed and responsiveness is more important than security, until Google helps whichever I live in to arrest people…

EDIT : Gorath, do you think I should try Opera then ?
Opera is not more secure than FF.

Maybe 3 months ago I've read a review comparing all relevant browsers for PC claiming that Opera is the fastest browser ATM. Improving speed was indeed a priority for the last couple of releases. Especially the JavaScript engine received a massive boost. But it really needed it, TBH. ;)
Now they should stop and clean a couple of things up. I think they've lost some compatibility on the way, after ramping it up to ca. 99%.

I'm also a sucker for speed, responsiveness and comfort. So yes, I think you should give it a try for a day or two. See below.

IE9 is acctually pretty good……
I heard that too, but I could puke whenever I open the options menu. Total chaos. ;)

Also, Gorath: I had no Idea Google collected information like that. Going to try opera or firefox by the end of the night. Now I am pretty peeved that my phone is running Android.

I didn't mean to turn this into an Opera commercial. As I wrote before, Opera or FF is just a matter of taste.

For those who want to try Opera, make sure to try the following things:
1. Mouse Gestures.
If you want to click the "Back" button (usually on the top-left), press & hold the RMB and move the mouse to the left. There are other gestures too, but this is the one I use all the time. A huge time-saver. (FF also has an add-on for mouse gestures. Highly recommended, this stuff saves 1 second every time you want to return to History-1.
2. Load site in background tab.
I'm using this for the review floods. I collect the bookmarks in a folder. When I want to create the newsbit I have the RPGWatch editor open and open the whole folder with a right-click and the mentioneed option. 3 mouse clicks (RMB, choose option, confirm) are enough to load dozens of sites comfortably in the background while I continue to write the newsbit. (I'm not aware of similar functionality in FF or IE. Maybe they have it, but it's not obvious.)
3. Cookie handling:
Set the cookies to "Accept Cookies from site only" "Refuse 3rd Party Cookies" "Confirm Each Cookie". Then you have to confirm it once for every site you visit. Select "Remember", select "Refuse" unless there is a reason to accept, for example the RPGWatch Login or your online banking. Of course you can also use an automatic, but this manual confirmation is an Opera specialty. More control. (Unfortunately they went a step back. Not too long ago you could even allow only cookies from the same server. Now it's only site.) If you make a mistake you can manage the sites somewhere deep in the options menu.

just wait until google software drives your car ( is is already driving some cars out there ) it will collect information about where you go so you can get custom adds based on that….
Movement profiles FTW! ;)

@Gorath: Greetings from Opera...
Well, initial reaction. Very similar to Chrome in speed and responsiveness. Can't notice a difference, but I've not opened up my usual 15 tabs yet. I will give it a go for some more time of course for a fair evaluation.
Like I said, Google's search is phenomenal, I already missed it on my first try. It's the address bar. You should go on some computer you don't use very often somewhere and just try it out for a few days, you would see :)

Opera's address bar is like the other ones, it just remembers your history...
Also, the mouse gestures thing isn't so important to me since my mouse has multiple function buttons (which I don't use actually so much), but one of them is to go back and the other is to go forward.
These buttons work on all browsers I have used until now and saves even more time than having to click and move :p

Well, it basically has everything I was looking for and I guess that if I had switched from Firefox to Opera I would have probably not bothered so much with Chrome. (speed)
However, in the one hour of use of Opera, I haven't seen anything better than there is in Chrome except that they don't collect all of my search history.
Like I said, I would give it some more time of course.

Any plugins to recommend ?

Browser wars? While I like Firefox, I find it starts slowly, and (worse) there are some websites that are not displayed correctly (doesn't really matter who's fault that is, its just a fact. So I still use IE for some stuff. I don't care enough to make a big deal out of it.

I recently tried out this Wista/7 services optimizer:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vsoptimizer.html
It really helped my aging laptop to regain a lot of speed. Even has a game mode. While your rig probably doesn't have to rely on such tweaking, maybe its still useful.

This is what I use:
Browser: Firefox (free)
Antivirus: Microsoft MSE (free)
Defragger: Pfft, what a joke, defragging is obsolete, in fact, not recommended.
Backup: no need for me, but if you do need backup, Microsoft's backup/restore should be more than enough.
Password manager: Lastpass (free). Totally recommended.

Total cost: $0

Back
Top Bottom