Richard Garriott - Most Game Designers Suck!

What does that mean? He delivered some really great games a long time ago and after that he is entitled to say what he wants and we should just bow and accept it?
He has some good points about game designing and that not everybody who is a designer is actually good at it. I'm sure that to emphasize that point, he mentioned that he virtually never never met any good designers, at least not any that are on his level. Just to make clear that there aren't that many good designers.

In my opinion that was a dumb thing to say, but he said it and is not taking it back either. Good for him. At least he stands by what he believes in.
I think there are plenty of good game designers that are as good or better than Richard
Garriott, especially compared to anything he created after the Ultima's. They just don't share his vision to game design.

Rune, I respect what the man has done for RPGs.But his current attitude is just abrasive and it really irks me.

You seem to put RG up upon a pedestal. Do you think the man is infallible and every word he utters is golden?

If you do, then so be it. You are entitled to your opinion and I can respect that. But I only ask for a mutual level of respect for my own view of him. I am sorry I cannot like him as much as you do.

Ultimately, regardless of our views of him as an individual, we all want his game to be great. And thats all that matters.

Myrthos, if you think all he his contributions were the games he made that long ago then I'm not sure what to say, other then look at what we have out there today and you can see a lot of his visions in other games. Games build apon the accomplishments of other games and he is one of the visionaries of computer RPG's and not to mention how much he was involved in pushing forward the pc gaming world in general with Origin.

And Dr A., not he is not out on some pedestal, but you look at the letter he put out further explaining a situation that was written one way by a magazine with a further explenation and it doesn't sound nearly as bad...matter of fact it sounds pretty much bang on

How high are you going to make that pedestal? Yes he contributed a lot to the genre, but to state that the games out there are what they are because of Richard Garriott is an insult to the designers of those games as it implies lack of originality on their parts.
What's next? He did everything himself? There were no other people working on the Ultima games? There were no other people in Origin who had bright ideas? There was no team effort?

How high are you going to make that pedestal? Yes he contributed a lot to the genre, but to state that the games out there are what they are because of Richard Garriott is an insult to the designers of those games as it implies lack of originality on their parts.
What's next? He did everything himself? There were no other people working on the Ultima games? There were no other people in Origin who had bright ideas? There was no team effort?

I'm pretty sure he stated that he had a lot of help and good people working at Origin. If you want to go to the extreme and make this a pedestal thing...which is a little extreme don't you think? To say he had no "effect" on the current games is completely wrong. Think of it this way, in order to make a cart someone has to event the wheel first. Your attitude about this is rather confusing.

Do they have Warren Spector with them on this project?

I brought it up...but nothing so far...would rock though. Star Long is somewhere out there, apparently works for disney.

You mean some of you guys don't know about LB?

He coded every one of those titles by himself. He also designed the box art and wrote and printed the manuals. He stitched each of those cloth maps by hand and formed all those ankh amulets by himself. Then he personally delivered each and every copy to stores.

You mean some of you guys don't know about LB?

He coded every one of those titles by himself. He also designed the box art and wrote and printed the manuals. He stitched each of those cloth maps by hand and formed all those ankh amulets by himself. Then he personally delivered each and every copy to stores.

You forgot that he also personally installed the games on everyone's HD(or in my case switched out floppys when I was playing u4 on the C64). My parents thought it to be very strange this man would show up all the time to do this though.

Back
Top Bottom