Tyranny - Dev Diary #5 - Combat System

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new dev diary from Tyranny and this one is focused on combat mechanics.

...Our combat is real-time, with the ability to pause at any time to issue commands to a party of up to 4 characters, including your own. In addition to the spells and abilities each character can use, we've also added companion combos - abilities that allow your character and a companion to work together in concert to create a powerful effect. Abilities use a cooldown system, allowing you to use most of your abilities multiple times per encounter. Combat is based on your character's skills, and the more you use those skills, the more experience you'll gain.

With that overview in mind, let's dive into some specifics!
[...]

Attack Resolution

When you perform an attack in Tyranny - whether it's a basic weapon attack, casting a spell, or using an ability - your Accuracy is compared to the target's Defense to determine how well the attack does. As with Pillars of Eternity, each attack can have one of four possible results: Miss, Graze (attacks deal less damage, status effects are applied for a shorter duration), Hit, or Crit (attacks deal greater damage, and status effects are applied for a longer duration).

Your Accuracy is determined by one or more character skills. A basic attack will use the skill associated with the weapon you're attacking with. A spell will use the magic skill for that type of spell and the character's Lore skill. If more than one skill is used, their values are averaged together to produce the final skill value. Accuracy bonuses from weapons or abilities are added to that base value to determine the final Accuracy for the attack. The skills used to determine Accuracy are also the skills you gain experience in for that attack.

Each attack targets one of five possible Defenses: Parry, Dodge, Endurance, Will, or Magic. Enemies and party members have different strengths and weaknesses in these defenses, making some attacks better options against one type of enemy than another.

Accuracy is compared to Defense, and the resulting difference is used to modify the combat result table. Higher Accuracy results in a greater chance to Crit or Hit, reducing the chance to Graze or Miss. A lower Accuracy has the opposite effect, making you Graze or Miss more often.

Taking Damage

Damage in Tyranny works similarly to Pillars. We have multiple damage types based on the armor a character wears: Slash, Pierce, Crush, Burn, Shock, Frost, Corrode, and Arcane. Different enemies have strengths and weaknesses against different types of damage. To maximize the pain you inflict, you'll want to target your enemies with damage types they are weak against.

Armor is still important to mitigate damage, but we also wanted to give more options for different character builds. Heavier armors (bronze or iron) provide Armor, which reduces damage dealt down to a minimum of 1. We've also added a new stat to lighter armors called Deflection. Deflection provides a chance that an attack will be downgraded one level (IE: a Crit becomes a Hit, a Hit becomes a Graze, or a Graze becomes a Miss). Deflection can be increased by the Finesse stat, and by talents and other items you can find in the game.

Tyranny handles hit points differently than Pillars did. Instead of the combination of Health and Endurance, we have a single Health bar to focus on. As attacks deal damage, your character's Health is reduced. When it reaches 0, a character falls unconscious (or dies, depending on game options). Characters can be revived using special abilities or consumables, or they will regain consciousness at the end of combat and begin regenerating Health.

We've also added the Wound system. When your character falls unconscious, they will gain a Wound - more than one on the hardest difficulty settings. On harder difficulties, you'll also gain a Wound when a character reaches low health. When a character is Wounded, their max health is reduced and all of their skills suffer a small penalty. Wounds can stack and will remain on a character until they rest.
More information.

the more you use those skills, the more experience you'll gain.

Friendly Fire: We’ve removed friendly fire from abilities in Tyranny. I wanted players to be able to focus on maximizing their damage to enemies, without worrying about harming their own party members in the process.

Don' like them.

Worst one is regenerating HP. So gone is need to play tactically between encounters.

Worst one is regenerating HP. So gone is need to play tactically between encounters.

Well pillars always always had regenerating health, but it was limited by an overall health pool. They have gotten rid of the overall pool, but now they have an added a wound system, where your max health get steadily reduced if you take too much damage. I wouldn't necesarily think that would reduce the need to play tactically, but obviously we'd have to see it in practice.

Who wants to place bets that Archangel and Sacred Path will gripe about this one? :p

Its a pretty common mechanic now of days. It means now each combat is a seperate challenge and there is no wearing down parties. I prefer no regenerating HP, but there are plenty of RPGs I have liked where its a feature.

I'm kind of meh on Obsidian at the moment. Can't say I'm surprised they have gone full casual.

But why?
They already have Eternity and Eternity2 is in development. Why not make a different ruleset for those who didn't like PoE micromanaging much?

I thought Obsidian will go fully MMOs and phonegames next. Basically abandoning their existing fans and turning into yet another irrelevant developer who brings nothing new to the table but just copypastes.

Developing a fresh singleplayer system, even if it smells like casual, seemed as not gonna happen. You may go meh, but I'm actually impressed by this move.

Because it is cheaper and easier to reuse what they did for PoE with slight modifications.

Because it is cheaper and easier to reuse what they did for PoE with slight modifications.

Isn't this what we have yearly copy paste assassins creed for?
Not everyone wishes to make the same thing over and over ;)

I don't get it. First you complain that they change the system, now you claim they copy paste? Sorry if I missed something obvious

But why?
They already have Eternity and Eternity2 is in development. Why not make a different ruleset for those who didn't like PoE micromanaging much?

I thought Obsidian will go fully MMOs and phonegames next. Basically abandoning their existing fans and turning into yet another irrelevant developer who brings nothing new to the table but just copypastes.

Developing a fresh singleplayer system, even if it smells like casual, seemed as not gonna happen. You may go meh, but I'm actually impressed by this move.

Good for Obsidian's finances I guess but they produce/have produced nothing that has really hit the spot for me. Their best titles are sequels to other companies games and its no coincidence. I have bought most of their titles in vain hope. Me ignoring them for better offerings is an overdue move for me personally.

I don't get it. First you complain that they change the system, now you claim they copy paste? Sorry if I missed something obvious
No, I complained about certain changes that make it worse.
But PoE system to begin with was not great.

And I don't only want BG, I am happy with NWN2 system as well (but not unlimited resting that ruined that game and was only done right in SoZ expansion)

The main thing I don't like is the lack of friendly fire. I feel like that removes an extra dimension from tactical combat. Hopefully they will at least make it optional.

I like these changes personally. It's likely to make things smoother.

The main thing I don't like is the lack of friendly fire. I feel like that removes an extra dimension from tactical combat. Hopefully they will at least make it optional.

This game has been labelled as an action RPG since the start, I don't think "tactical combat" was part of the design spec.

Good for Obsidian's finances I guess but they produce/have produced nothing that has really hit the spot for me.
Sorry but I adored Eternity. So much I can't wait the sequel.
Also, I said before that to me their South Park is a masterpiece. I can understand why some people hate that game and wish noone in Obsidian was ever born though. :)
I didn't buy Alpha Protocol and never will, someone posted it's a game with checkpoints and I avoid buying such games - thanks to all those who posted this because usually I learn it only when I already buy something.
If it's not optional, someone will make a mod for sure.

Sorry but I adored Eternity. So much I can't wait the sequel.
Also, I said before that to me their South Park is a masterpiece. I can understand why some people hate that game and wish noone in Obsidian was ever born though. :)
I didn't buy Alpha Protocol and never will, someone posted it's a game with checkpoints and I avoid buying such games - thanks to all those who posted this because usually I learn it only when I already buy something.

If it's not optional, someone will make a mod for sure.

For the record Alpha Protocol has good writing/story and choice and consequences but is very ordinary with the gameplay. Obsidian has never produced on the gameplay front for me which is more important for my overall enjoyment but I do wish them well. :)

Back
Top Bottom