• 50's

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 60's

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
33. My earliest gaming memories are from playing Space invaders on my fathers PC when I was like 4 or 5. First PC game that got me hooked for real was Civilization (yes, the original). First RPG? Not quite sure, does the first Zelda on NES count? On PC, I think the RPG gaming took off for me with The Infinity games and Fallouts. I have played older games too, but I think that was after I got hooked.

Last edited:
60+

I don't count the gaming that was done in computer labs.

I was out of college and starting my work career when the Timex/Sinclair took off. A buddy of mine had it, but I was too busy playing Ms Pacman to play any stupid cassette PC. Believe me folks, there was a time when getting a high score in Ms. Pacman in the arcade or the night club killed with the ladies. Yes Pacman was in the clubs . . . different time folks, different times.

Besides in the early days of the Home PC there was little gaming. But there were a ton of fantastic word processors and spreadsheet applications. I mean come on, who didn't want to put their home expenses on a 5 inch floppy . . .

However, being a tech nerd I was soon lured into the apple world and got my gaming chops on Wizardry with a minor in graphic map making. When I started gaming most of the gamers were in the 20s/30s. But as the industry advanced and computers got cheaper and consoles became a household item, I was soon doing my computer gaming shopping with all kinds of age groups. I never felt funny just older.

Which reminds me. I have some Lawn monitoring to get to . . .

Maybe GothicGothicness was right and I should not use this Firefox auto-correction feature… :)

Yep, Ive fell victim to the auto correct many times but every time I stop using it I miss it and go running back.

With my poor typing skills it fixes much more than it messes up.:)

As people in my EQ 2 guild like to say, Carnifex likely broke break with Plato. And then promptly argued him into senility!

My first computer games were Pong and such......first on a home pc would be Wizardry 2 and Ultima 3. Followed by tons of other computer rpg's!

I remember Pong, Carnifex! Didn't we have to buy the whole thing for that? It was a tv set basically that played one game, unless we just hooked up the Pong system to an old tv. Can't remember.

Not quite sure, does the first Zelda on NES count?

Yes, Tomasp3n.

It does now anyway. :highfive:

*dares the elitists to say otherwise* ;p

Yes, Tomasp3n.

It does now anyway. :highfive:

*dares the elitists to say otherwise*
It most certainly does not I'm going to go sulk in the corner.
hidesbehindsofa.gif

Just kidding as I have many fond memories of playing the original Zelda in the 90's. I also remember all the times I got killed on certain levels.

Not to many internet sites back then for help either. Though there was a phone number that you could call for help. I found it a pain in the behind to do so.:brood:

Update
: Here is a site to play some of the old classic Nintendo/Atari games in flash.

Link - http://www.classicgamesarcade.com/

Last edited:
I remember Pong, Carnifex! Didn't we have to buy the whole thing for that? It was a tv set basically that played one game, unless we just hooked up the Pong system to an old tv. Can't remember.

Yes we had that Pong console in my house, the controllers were basically a stick that would only move vertically (guess you would call it a '1-axis') and one button to release the ball.

Not to many internet sites back then for help either. Though there was a phone number that you could call for help I found it a pain to do so.:brood:

1-206-885-7529! I'll never forget that freakin number. >.<

[Washington/west coast accent] "Thank you for calling your Nintendo game counselor! This is a toll call, so remember to ask permission from whomever pays the phone bill."

Urgh. :p

Attachments

• www1.jpg
    www1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    77.2 KB · Views: 70
That's it!! Hahaha! Oh, those pictures...

Pong was awesome. There was even a version of it in Commander Keen I believe.

Believe me folks, there was a time when getting a high score in Ms. Pacman in the arcade or the night club killed with the ladies. Yes Pacman was in the clubs . . . different time folks, different times.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Just passed 40 myself.

My first rpg (or at least the first crpg that left a lasting impression on me) was "The Bard´s Tale" on my Commodore 128, I still remember spending lots of time making hand-drawn maps of Skara Brae and the other cities in the game. Ever since then crpg:s have been my favorite genré and I´ve played most everything I could find.

However, since the "digital download era" and the "indie-boom", I´ve had to become a bit more picky about my choices.

Lateish 30s here. I started playing on one of the Atari systems, then moved over to the NES for most of my formative gaming. My first PC RPG was probably Pool of Radiance, but it was the original Civilization that I really remember capturing my attention. Something about an immortal ruler guiding a group of people from hunter-gatherers to the stars really grabbed me, and none of the sequels have ever felt quite the same.

Apple iie, Amiga 1000, Amiga 2000, Pentium 120MHz, Athlon k7 550MHz, Pentium 4 2.56GHz, Core2duo E6700 @2.8Ghz, i7 2700K @4.2GHz… ☺

Back
Top Bottom