Legend of Grimrock - 11 Things I'm Looking Forward To @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has kicked up 11 Things I'm Looking Forward To In Legend of Grimrock. It's essentially a collection of screens that demonstrate one of the 11 titular features, so don't expect a deep article that breaks new ground. On the other hand, if you've just seen the preorder newsbits and haven't followed the game, you'll get a fair idea of what your $11.99 preorder would get. Bonus points for Dungeon Master references:
Legend Of Grimrock is out in a couple of weeks, via Steam and GOG.com, and anticipation is building. A game that harks back to the glory days of FTL’s Dungeon Master is something many would like to get their hands on. Get my hands on it I have, and after spending a little time with some pre-release code, I’m excited to confirm it really does seem to be capturing that era, with tile-based movement, a quartet of characters, and the terrifying moments when you’re trying to mix a potion in the middle of a fight. Below you can read the top 11 things that I think make it a game worth taking an interest in. (I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone who didn’t play Dungeon Master is going to find this post a touch confusing.)
More information.

Oh no... is it Dungeon Master type gameplay? In that I have to spastically click on my four characters' weapons/spells to get them to attack until the monster is dead? Because I hated that with a passion 20 years ago and I hate it today. Seriously. I have never, ever experienced a worse combat method in an rpg. Someone tell me I'm wrong please?

You're not wrong. Well, you're wrong in that it's such a bad system :)

Oh no… is it Dungeon Master type gameplay? In that I have to spastically click on my four characters' weapons/spells to get them to attack until the monster is dead? Because I hated that with a passion 20 years ago and I hate it today. Seriously. I have never, ever experienced a worse combat method in an rpg. Someone tell me I'm wrong please?

Yep, it's a combat style similar to dungeon master / Eye of the beholder / Lands of Lore I, some hate it, some love it.

I personaly like it in small doses. It gets bothersome after a few hours of play, so its a game (for me) to play 1-2 hours straight, max.

I still don't know if i'll buy it just because i couldn't find any info about the map system. Does it have an in-game map (as you explore more is revealed) or is it completely old-school and you have to map it in paper, anyone knows ? ;)

This looks wonderful and a real fresh breath of air as far as modern games go.
Colour me quite interested since I rather enjoy the gameplay style. (Having played/beaten Eye of the Beholder 1-2 and Lands of Lore…)

I started Dungeon Master on the Amiga 500 a few years ago and got a few levels in but unfortunately got distracted by something else. It was my first real solid attempt at the game and I really enjoyed it. Perhaps with another game like this coming along I'll have the incentive I need to hook it all back up and get back into it. :)

But yes indeed, looking great! Thanks for covering it, RPGWatch.

Maybe they have signed a deal with Logitech... imagine how many new mouse-pointers that will be sold just because of this game.

I still don't know if i'll buy it just because i couldn't find any info about the map system. Does it have an in-game map (as you explore more is revealed) or is it completely old-school and you have to map it in paper, anyone knows ? ;)

Apparently there is an automap, and when starting new game you have the choice between using it, or going old-school and having to care about mapping by yourself.

Why is this spelt so oddly?

3) Evil skellingtons!

Is it an in joke or can't they spell?

Daniel.

turn based or real time?

Sorry I'm so behind in keeping up with all the games coming out but I think I just have to check this one out and GOG is certainly a plus.

real-time unf.

Yes, but in a special way (nothing is ever simple when doing typologies) : the monsters still move step by step and slower than you, and there's a timer on the attacks from the monsters and you.

Apparently there is an automap, and when starting new game you have the choice between using it, or going old-school and having to care about mapping by yourself.

Thank you.

Definite buy then :)

I played EotB too long ago to remember if I liked the whack-a-mole system. I did finish a couple of those games so maybe I did like it. I'd like to see how you can prepare spells like this, or do you just have one spell you spam?

I played EotB too long ago to remember if I liked the whack-a-mole system. I did finish a couple of those games so maybe I did like it. I'd like to see how you can prepare spells like this, or do you just have one spell you spam?

Rune combinations (from 9 different runes) allow you to cast a variety of spells. There is a brief example in the link below in the video at the 0:35 mark.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/le...ing-i-wanted-in-a-modern-day-dungeon-crawler/

The combat system is indeed whack-a-mole - but then again, the games were never about combat for me. They were about exploration and puzzles.

The combat system is indeed whack-a-mole - but then again, the games were never about combat for me. They were about exploration and puzzles.

Indeed, Also grid paper is for the "faint of heart", real men do it by memory :lol:

(At least that how I did it back in the day, can't say if senility will give me a hard time these days but I'll certainly give it a shot ;) )

I suck at memorising maps… But I use the old "priority" method from my PnP days.

You go left if you can - if not, then straight - if not, then right…. You can get through most dungeons like that :)

You go left if you can - if not, then straight - if not, then right…. You can get through most dungeons like that :)

Ah the old labyrinth trick, I should try it one of these days :thinking:

I used to have a feel about dungeon layout and general direction and it usually payed off in dungeon crawlers (That damn Bloodwych always managed to turn me around at a couple of points for some reason though :mad: ).

I have to admit I cheated in EOB 1 though (by leaving daggers and rocks or other trash on strategic points, when the dungeon became two symmetrical and samey in its layout or there were those disorientation and teleportation traps ;) )

Yeah I plan to play without a map by memory to. Leaving items behind to help navigate isn't cheating it's being clever!

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom