New RPG

J0sHu4

Watcher
Im in search of a new rpg like risen or oblivion any ideas?

Knights of the Chalice is nice. It's very similar to both Risen and Oblivion :D

Did you play Fallout 3?

Dragon Age should be coming soon. It's more similar to NWN or Baldur's Gate though.

Similar to Oblivion are obviously Morrowind and Fallout 3.
Similar to Risen are Gothic 1 & 2 and Ultima 9 ( = Ultima: Ascension). All 3 games are pretty old and have unconventional controls.
Gothic 3 is somewhere between Risen and Oblivion. It's decent with the latest community patch. At release it was a trainwreck though.

Something most people like is KotOR. KotOR 2 and Vampire 2 are also often mentioned.

If you already have the first Dungeon Siege, download the Ultima 5 mod for it. Excellent game and totally not Dungeon Siege. ;)

Im just asking if you can tell me a nice rpg

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Fallout
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 2 Night of Raven
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Planescape Torment
Temple of Elemental Evil
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

I still haven't managed to get Gothic III to install. This is the third computer since I bought it. And it came with Dungeon Lords, which installed fine.

At any rate, Konjad pretty much listed a whose-who on newer games. You might also try Wizardry 8. Not entirely like Oblivion, but IMO one of the best RPGs around that era. It's also older, and out of print.

Both Arena and Daggerfall, the precursors to Morrowing and Oblivion, are both freeware now. Google them. They might need DOSBox to play (Arena I'm almost 100% positive it will).

Might and Magic VI and VII were the last of the old Might and Magics worth playing. They're easy to find on Amazon, and VI is actually up on GoG.com along with 1-5. So you get a number of good old games. All but 6 will need DOSBox, and 6 is touchy with WinXP. It'll run though.

Going back further into the DOS days can get you a lot of really good games, but they're often really hard to find too.

You might also try Wizardry 8. Not entirely like Oblivion, but IMO one of the best RPGs around that era. It's also older, and out of print.

and VI is actually up on GoG.com along with 1-5. So you get a number of good old games. All but 6 will need DOSBox, and 6 is touchy with WinXP. It'll run though.

+2 to Wizardry 8, awesome game, the likes of which are not made anymore. From 2001 but 3D graphics engine still holds up and gameplay is top notch.

Might & Magic on GoG.com (all 6 games in one collection) comes with Dosbox included and you don't really have to do anything as far as I know. I've only tried 4/5/6 for a few minutes and each ran fine without having to tweak anything.

At any rate, Konjad pretty much listed a whose-who on newer games.

Actually, most of those games he listed are pretty old except for The Witcher and NWN 2: MoTB. Still most, if not all of those are worth playing (and none too old that you can't find them or are technically unplayable).

I would highly recommend these to start with:

Baldur's Gate I & II
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (plus expansion packs: Bloodmoon & Tribunal)

These will keep you busy a LONG time. NO joke, probably a years' worth of gaming right there! (Or more????)

Do research on Mods too, there's one that lets you play BG 1 with the BG 2 engine which is nice for the higher resolution, that one is called BG TuTu.

For Morrowind there are a TON of mods that tweak many things in the games. Think there's a relatively recent thread here regarding them, check it out.

Newer games for me. :p I run a laptop, so the truly new stuff doesn't even work. Not enough video. And besides, what all has come out worthwhile that hasn't been mentioned?

I'll pop Divine Divinity in there, though it doesn't quite match the style of the Elder Scroll games. Outstanding game. I think the sequel is out as well, but I haven't been buying much PC due to my refusal to install DRM-viruses on my computer.

I'll pop Divine Divinity in there. Outstanding game.

How could I have left DD out? I've been playing it the last couple of weeks and completely addicted. Outstanding indeed. Vastly underrated. Larian did an awesome job of making the world feel alive and cohesive.

How could I have left DD out? I've been playing it the last couple of weeks and completely addicted. Outstanding indeed. Vastly underrated. Larian did an awesome job of making the world feel alive and cohesive.

For the same reasons that makes you choose the Telecaster over the Stratocaster.

Gotcha!!!!!

Btw, here's Guitar shop by Jeff Beck, who mainly playes the Stratocaster, although the lyrics seems to indicate a Les Paul.

Hey, nothing wrong with a Tele! Muddy Waters used one. :p

My favorite sound always seems to come from Strats though. And now, I end this off topic-ness before it gets beyond the beyond.

I'm actually surprised I posted DD first. But then, I posted several other must-haves as well. And forgot still more.

I blame the soup.

Hey, nothing wrong with a Tele! Muddy Waters used one. :p

Well you know how it is I like Oblivion and therefore I valuate looks more than content and the Stratocaster looks much cooler than the Telecaster…… :)

Besides I have a strat. :-D I also have DD which I haven't played. Shame on me.

@bemushroomed: I can't remember Morrowind landscapes being that green and colourful. A mod?

Back
Top Bottom