Lands of Adventure: An Old-School Style CRPG

This game is no longer "Old-School Style." I have changed it to "Gold-Box Inspired." That's because not only does the layout purposely look like the Gold-Box games, but the combat is going to be tactical. I didn't think I could do it, but it turns out that if I put my mind to something, I can pull off what I want.

Here's a screenshot of the combat engine (it's a work in progress).

CombatScreen2.jpg

Looks pretty good, PS. Keep up the good work.

This video is out of date (it was uploaded in April), but it shows more work on the combat engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4voQGVUc47g

I am actually going to be uploading a new video in a couple of weeks that will show the completed engine in action, which includes spell-casting, ranged weapons and a lot of other changes.

That looks good. Nice looking interface too.

As promised, here is the updated video. New in this version of the combat engine:

* Ranged weapon attacks (both friendly and enemy)
* Spells and effects
* Sound effects
* Buttons and Hotkeys
* Interactions with Inventory
* Interactions with Spell Screen
* Better feedback messages
* Players are able to undo actions (ESC key)
* Targeting System That Remembers Previous Target
* Victory Screen
* More I Probably Forgot...

In this video, a purposely went slow in the beginning to show the interactions with the Inventory and the Spell screen. It sucks that the mouse isn't visible in the video (I need to figure out how to make that happen), so I had to hover over buttons to allow them to turn red so that the viewer would get an indication of what was going on (I usually fight test combats with hotkeys and don't use the mouse much, so for those who like that, the option is there). The sound effects are real basic (there's only three different effects) and you will hear the "hit" sound effect used for a couple of different things. At this point, it's just a placeholder.

I'm sure there's a lot more I could say. It isn't perfect. The spell effects, for example, are just images. I don't have a budget or an artist, so I work with art that has been donated or is free to use for gaming. Believe me, if I had an artist, I could do much better.

Anyway, enjoy the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umfwf6Rh-7Y

The female mage looks likes the best modelled character.

The melee seem to take forever to make contact with the enemy - maybe you should give them some type of charge/rush ability.

The female mage looks likes the best modelled character.

The melee seem to take forever to make contact with the enemy - maybe you should give them some type of charge/rush ability.

Something to consider.

Not all combats will start at the furthest possible distance, though. That was done to test out ranged weapons and such.

Back
Top Bottom