The Witcher - German Rating Changed to "18"

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A few weeks ago we´ve posted, based on infos by CD Projekt, that The Witcher had been rated "16" by the German USK. As it turned out the news was a bit premature. The USK changed their mind and decided to give The Witcher an "18".
The good news: The game will be uncut and multilingual!
More information.

Violence & Nudity! Violence & Nudity! Yes! More! For Me!

Oh.. and yeah.. this game seems very interesting at the very least.
I'm most likely going to buy it.

This the source? Where'd you get multilingual and uncut from?

Yes, that´s the original source. Everybody else copied from there.

Multilingual is also mentioned there.

Uncut was posted by CD Projekt when they said it was "16".

Damn, seems the German politicians/censors are all most bad as the US politicians/censors, we maybe getting censored version here in the US, iirc. :(

Damn, seems the German politicians/censors are all most bad as the US politicians/censors, we maybe getting censored version here in the US, iirc. :(

Yeah, only we are getting cencored for the blood, while you are getting censored for the boobies ;)

It´s far worse in Germany. Most action games are cut, and the most extreme ones not even released in Germany. We didn´t get Dead Rising and Gears of War for example. The unrated international versions were banned (Gears) or even confiscated (Dead Rising).

I thought the "16" rating seemed odd.

If they are so concerned about the rating then they should have made a game for 16 year olds so mom and dad would be willing to buy it for them for Christmas.

It´s far worse in Germany. Most action games are cut, and the most extreme ones not even released in Germany. We didn´t get Dead Rising and Gears of War for example. The unrated international versions were banned (Gears) or even confiscated (Dead Rising).

Uhhh...really? Thanks for internet and possibility of ordering game from diffreant country.

At leat I'm calm that I get red blood and boobs ;).

I thought the "16" rating seemed odd.

If they are so concerned about the rating then they should have made a game for 16 year olds so mom and dad would be willing to buy it for them for Christmas.

I would rather say it´s a positive surprise Atari remembered that RPGs usually can be a bit more drastic because they require brains and play in an unrealistic fantasy scenario. Often enough publishers don´t even submit the uncut version to the USK. Then you get Command & Conquer with robots who are leaking oil.

The problem is that the USK has to refuse a rating if they suspect a game is harmful for children according to the established (informal!) standards. The publisher on the other hand needs a rating because only a USK rating protects them from the BPjM. They can´t risk that the BPjM puts a game on Liste A (-> " the Index" -> still legal but no availability in places to which children have access -> commercial death) or even worse on Liste B (-> court -> confiscation; possession still legal for private use; selling is a crime) because they would lose almost all of their German revenues.

Imports are of course possible. Sending an unrated or "18" game via mail is illegal though if you can´t be 100% sure that the recipient is an adult. So there´s a chance customs will confiscate it if they find it.

I would rather say it´s a positive surprise Atari remembered that RPGs usually can be a bit more drastic because they require brains and play in an unrealistic fantasy scenario. Often enough publishers don´t even submit the uncut version to the USK. Then you get Command & Conquer with robots who are leaking oil.

The problem is that the USK has to refuse a rating if they suspect a game is harmful for children according to the established (informal!) standards. The publisher on the other hand needs a rating because only a USK rating protects them from the BPjM. They can´t risk that the BPjM puts a game on Liste A (-> " the Index" -> still legal but no availability in places to which children have access -> commercial death) or even worse on Liste B (-> court -> confiscation; possession still legal for private use; selling is a crime) because they would lose almost all of their German revenues.

Imports are of course possible. Sending an unrated or "18" game via mail is illegal though if you can´t be 100% sure that the recipient is an adult. So there´s a chance customs will confiscate it if they find it.

Damn, it's hard to be a publisher nowadays.:D

Aggressive censorship motivated by a fear of Nazism. Apparently someone not only forgot to learn anything at all from history, but also fell asleep while they were explaining irony at school. Sad.

Any word on whether the Australian version is going to be completely uncensored? I don't mind waiting a bit extra to get a complete version, since I'll have MotB to keep me entertained.

No, I haven't anything about the AU version, to be honest. I would say it's dicey - violence and nudity separately are rarely problems but if there is a situation where you can attack a prostitute, dryad or anyone else who gets their boobies out, it could be a problem.

CD Projekt once said you could (try to) kill anyone in the game but, in fact, you can only draw your sword when the area is signaled "unsafe", so it looks like this changed to me at this point.

Edit: I have contact details for the right PR people, so I'll just ask.

Back
Top Bottom