PoE Thoughts/discussion/first impressions of Pillars of Eternity!

Pillars of Eternity
Thoughts. Game of the Year. Feel free to come at me if you disagree. Oh, and if something else comes along this year that's a contender, that's just even better for all of us! I likely won't get to play anymore till Monday, and I've no idea how far into the game I am, but I'm loving it. When I last played I was level seven and in some keep fighting down to some dungeon to free a captive.

I haven't had a single issue at all yet in playing, except that I have to stop =p

One of the devs. said they saw someone working on new portraits for the game. Maybe they'll release them in a patch.

there is a pack floating around of 350 pics i think plus you can use the super pack for bg on this game too (i think it had 500?)...so there you go 850 new portraits :D

Good game thus far; holding my interest more than D:OS ever did. Obsidian set out to meld IWD, BG, & Torment… and I think they actually may have done it. Thus far, I'd say it's the best party-based RPG since IWD1.

Well, the difficulty has certainly kicked up a notch or three. Could be that I am still a low level, or maybe it's because I don't have any tanks in my party, but the encounters have just gotten pretty tough! Not that I'm complaining - it's certainly very tactical.

I'd prefer to just have story-based party members, but do you people who are farther along think I should save up to hire a companion from an inn until I get leveled up some more? Or is there a region or two that I should be clearing first?

I guess you tried to clear out the second zone after you got out of the cave? Don't think it's intended that you clear that solo. You should get a fighter extremely early on, within first 5-10h of the game, second "lasting" companion.

I am not very far either yet, played 15h or so, Path of the Damn difficulty and till now while being tough it was well doable without customized companions. And I am also doing the "never get your endurance to 0"-achievement along the way.

But now with 4 companions combats already became much more micromanagement and positioning work. Could be quite a mess with 6, but I'll see…

If you are playing on hard mode, I'd get a tank at some point. I use Eder and he was available fairly early in the game, it really makes a difference having a real tank in the group. When I first ran into him in a town he talked smack like a thief, but his stats are pure tankish, and he fills the role quite well.

No, I certainly didn't try to clear that area solo! I'm talking a little bit later on. Somehow, I missed Eder; I spoke with him, but his first dialogue didn't exactly go anywhere, and so I mistook him for just another villager. Got him now, thanks! I couldn't get through a certain early story quest with my party of a cipher, chanter, priest and wizard. Now the odds should be a bit evened out with an actual fighter on the front line.

We'll see how it goes!

Last edited:
Ok, so the whole "endless Paths" quest...you get it pretty early on from Kana, but I'm assuming that this probably shouldn't be undertaken at an early level. Am I correct in this assumption? Should I wait until much later in the game to tackle this?

Ya I almost passed over on Eder when I read his dialogue, then I invited him simply because I thought maybe I could make him into a tank....and it turned out he basically is one. He doesn't really talk like one though, lol, totally threw me off at first.

I know what you mean about Eder's personality! I like that though - it's a marked improvement over the overused character stereotypes of many party-based games. He's more creative than the typical "gruff battle-weary warrior with a soft spot" trope.

Thoughts. Game of the Year. Feel free to come at me if you disagree. Oh, and if something else comes along this year that's a contender, that's just even better for all of us! I likely won't get to play anymore till Monday, and I've no idea how far into the game I am, but I'm loving it. When I last played I was level seven and in some keep fighting down to some dungeon to free a captive.

I haven't had a single issue at all yet in playing, except that I have to stop =p

I'd second your nomination for game of the year, and I think it'll easily get it from the Watch. Easily.

And stopping is my biggest issue too. I'm up way past my bedtime and it just won't let go...

I wouldn't be so sure that Pillars of Eternity will be named Game of the Year on RPGWatch as the Witcher 3 is being released in May. It's going to be a tough decision for me.

Good point...

Though no matter how good W3 is, I already know where my vote is going. :) For all kinds of reasons.

I'm certainly not going to be too hasty and crown PoE before TW3 comes out, but like I said on the last page, this is the first time in what feels like ages that I have been this giddy about an RPG in the first few hours. It certainly has been a wonderful surprise, and I look forward to the long journey ahead.

Can't argue about that as the game does remind me of an updated Infinity engine game. As others said before I did not expect to play another RPG game like this ever again.

We should all be grateful for kickstarter as I remember five years ago both Feargus, and Brian Fargo talking about how publishers will not fund those type of games anymore.

I'm looking forward to what both of them can make in the future.:]

I realize some of you are giddy right now, but it's beyond silly to claim GotY in March. :)

Tw3 is action rpg and TToN will not come in 2015.. no, I don't think we are silly.

Thoughts. Game of the Year.

Thoughts. RPGWatch.
ib0fwoO5GYcL6o.gif

Ok, so the whole "endless Paths" quest…you get it pretty early on from Kana, but I'm assuming that this probably shouldn't be undertaken at an early level. Am I correct in this assumption? Should I wait until much later in the game to tackle this?

Endless Path is the Kickstarter dungeon. It goes harder the deeper you go, but I think the first level is like for level 3.

I've played quite a few hours now. So far, so good. Loving it. I don't even mind the "no combat XP" thing, except in one particular case: Endless Paths. I've cleared down to level 6, and while it's still interesting and I still get some good loot, it's way too grindy without getting any XP. I haven't gained a level in hours now because I've been stuck killing tons of stuff that yield no XP.

I can't imagine places like Watcher's Keep or Durlag's Tower being anywhere near as good as they are without actually getting level ups. In fact, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't bother doing either one if I had to clear it all just for the loot.

I'll clear Endless Paths the 1st time I play it, but unless the rewards later on are amazing, I very much doubt I'll do it again anytime soon.

Edit: Cleared down to level 8 now, and got a fairly big chunk of XP, so it might be worth it, especially since there's enough gold down there to fund the entire stronghold.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom