Fallout 4 - Bethesda: Launch was successful

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
In a press release Bethesda announced: The Fallout 4 lauch was successful:

Record Sales for the Most Anticipated Game of 2015 See the Launch Trailer for Fallout® 4 Here

November 13, 2015 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced that its award-winning game, Fallout® 4, is generating record sales at retail outlets and via digital download for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system and PC. Bethesda launched with approximately 12 million units worldwide to meet day one demand, representing sales in excess of $750 million. The collector’s edition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy™ Edition, sold out within hours of its announced availability.

Major retailers have informed Bethesda of the tremendous consumer interest in Fallout 4, with some noting it was the most pre-ordered game this year. In addition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition was the fastest-selling collector’s edition of any game in history at leading retailers. Following the release, Bethesda was advised that launch day sales at some of the leading retail chains were the largest of any game released this year. Bethesda is now shipping more Fallout 4 units to retailers to meet ongoing market demand.

Digital sales of Fallout 4 are also breaking records. On Steam, Fallout 4 became the number one game played, surpassing the previous record for concurrent play with over 470,000 Fallout players. The companion app, Fallout Pip-Boy, became the number one game on the iTunes App Store. Fallout 4 also set the record as the most viewed game launch of all 2015 games, according to Twitch.

“We’re extremely proud of Todd Howard, Game Director at Bethesda Game Studios, and his experienced team of developers for their talent and dedication in creating this extraordinary game,” said Vlatko Andonov, President of Bethesda Softworks. “Fallout 4 is a masterpiece in game development and storytelling, providing fans hundreds of hours of fun as they explore and are challenged by this fascinating, beautifully crafted world.” [...]
More information.

I was a big fan of Fallout 3 even though it has nothing to do with Fallout 1/2. I loved it for the freedom, the exploring and the mods.
Oddly, I'm not very hyped for Fallout 4. I guess I will wait a year or so till I buy. Witcher 3 is far higher on my list and I can't wait to play it when I have a new PC.

The game is being very badly received by the fans all over the place, how can they consider it a successful launch? It's like EA considering Battlefield 4 launch a success or Ubisoft considering Assassin's Creed Unity launch a success just because it sold bunches.

Hats off to them though, those are awesome numbers.

It's crazy - you'd think they'd take some of that [day 1] 1,000% return on investment and hire an Engine development team. Zenimax is laughing all the way to the bank.

It's crazy - you'd think they'd take some of that [day 1] 1,000% return on investment and hire an Engine development team. Zenimax is laughing all the way to the bank.

I hope they do this for the next game. I really think the ESO experiment set back the new engine, but that's just a wild guess on my part. Fallout 4 is just as fun as Fallout 3, but it is old tech.

Completely agree, as the console versions are apparently QUITE severely hampered and unoptimized on launch. Thankfully, I'm playing on PC with a 970 and having an enjoyable time, but their continued use of that Gamebryo-monstrosity of an engine is just unacceptable. I can still see some of the weird texture issues that go back to Oblivion. After making all that money on Skyrim, I thought for sure we'd see a new engine, but it feels like they ported Fallout 3 to Skyrim engine, slapped on a new coat of paint with shaders, shadows, god rays, etc. and called it a day. It is gorgeous on PC, but no more gorgeous than Witcher 3 which runs fairly well on consoles AND PC.

smart guys, probably 10 million went to all the sites that gave this shit 9s and 10s :))

I just hope these sales of Fallout 4 and Skyrim bring more open world and sandbox games to my computer. Not sure what I enjoy more a good open world game or a good turn based tactical party game. Have seen many great party turn based games but open world games must cost a lot of cash.

Is the game really that bad? I have it, but won't play it without some more patching. (learned me lesson with Skyrim).

The graphics kind of suck, but graphics are lower priority for me with RPGs. But is the gameplay crap, too? I heard the story was good.

This guy must be high on Jet... did he see player reaction to this "masterpiece"? It's like calling McDonald's the greatest cuisine on the planet.
Disappointing that something that falls so far behind it's competitors is blindly swallowed by the masses.

Is the game really that bad? I have it, but won't play it without some more patching. (learned me lesson with Skyrim)..

No, it's not. It's pretty damn good actually (imo). It's technically inferior to other games released this year, but they really nailed the atmosphere of the wasteland.

A minority of the players complain explicitly. More are dissatisfied, without being verbose about it, of course, but we can't know how many. I would guess that most players find their games enjoyable, based upon repeated high sale figures. And as I see it, FO4 is not that much different from the typical Bethesda games, so I think it's safe to say that most buyers are happy with it.

pibbur who likes the game, and does not mind (and doesn't need an explanation) that others don't.

Disappointing that something that falls so far behind it's competitors is blindly swallowed by the masses.

I like the game for what it is. Doesn't surprise me that other games may be better, and more technically advanced. But I don't compare games I play to other games.

pibbur who in general is not disappointed when people/the masses disagree with him. He just disagrees.

PS. I've said it before, and I say it again. My impression is that no other game franchise cause as much explicit disagreement here than ESO and Fallout (excluding 1 and 2). I Don't accuse anyone, neither critics and fans, of prejudice or ulterior motives, but I wonder why. I may of course be totally wrong, not the first time. DS.

Last edited:
The game is being very badly received by the fans all over the place, how can they consider it a successful launch? It's like EA considering Battlefield 4 launch a success or Ubisoft considering Assassin's Creed Unity launch a success just because it sold bunches.

Duh, you answered your own question, so let me turn it around:

The game is selling at a record pace, even though some fans are very critical. So how can they not consider it a success? Those that like the game far outnumber those that don't. Sounds successful to me.

This guy must be high on Jet… did he see player reaction to this "masterpiece"? It's like calling McDonald's the greatest cuisine on the planet.

The game is setting sales records. Player reaction is overwhelmingly positive given the number of sales. Whether it is a masterpiece or not is in the eye of the beholder, but obviously many are enjoying the game.

And you are one of the knowledgeable elite? Way to pat yourself on the back there :)

A minority of the players complain explicitly. More are dissatisfied, without being verbose about it, of course, but we can't know how many. I would guess that most players find their games enjoyable, based upon repeated high sale figures. And as I see it, FO4 is not that much different from the typical Bethesda games, so I think it's safe to say that most buyers are happy with it.

pibbur who likes the game, and does not mind (and doesn't need an explanation) that others don't.

I try not to quote people but I had started a reply this morning and changed my mind as I couldn't find the right words to express my view point.

You said it pretty much verbatim on how I feel. The angry mob is always the loudest I find. Those who are happy are mostly playing the game I think.

I agree they need a new engine but I have also seen some good points on why they might have kept it. Still I hope the next game from them has a brand new engine. Can only re-use something so many times.

Being on a PC I am very content with the graphics and think the game look nice. I am also having a lot of fun with it. The settlement stuff is very cool and like the overall exploration and combat. Just a nice fun game. Nothing ground breaking but find it very enjoyable and a nice way to spend my time relaxing after work.

While its clear I am a beth fan boy overall I am not blind to its faults - just don't care as much as others I guess. I also did not finish FO3 or Oblivion as I didn't really like them - so I don't like all their games by any means. But I really enjoy FO4 and, of course, love Skyrim.

I don't know....I'm having a blast with it....graphics are good(not shit, what?) and it has a lot of things to do.

Love crafting my weapons and armor in game....I have spent 12 hours so far in the last couple days. I'm not sure what game these guys are playing who say it is awful....

For the record I haven't seen many bugs...

I think some of you(you know who you are) who haven't even played the game need to either get over it or give it a try...or not who cares at this point.

Games are kind of fun but mostly shooters now. Baffles me how many sales they get though. One thing Bethesda dominates is mod scene. By far more mods for their gamed than others

This guy must be high on Jet… did he see player reaction to this "masterpiece"? It's like calling McDonald's the greatest cuisine on the planet.
Bethesda might not have best engineers on the planet but it seems they got best PR teams. Even Apple might learn something from them :)

I hope they do this for the next game. I really think the ESO experiment set back the new engine, but that's just a wild guess on my part. Fallout 4 is just as fun as Fallout 3, but it is old tech.

ESO has nothing to do with the single player dev teams, they built a studio just to make that game and it use the Hero Engine anyway.

Back
Top Bottom