Arcania - Interview @ Gothic 4 Center

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Spellbound's EDL (creative writer and community manager) has been interviewed at Polish fan site Gothic 4 Center. The article is a translated and a little difficult to read but offers some background on EDL and asks questions about bizarre minutiae:
Gothic4.com.pl : Will scabbards of swords come in and the like? Farther to us will the weapon be sticking ?

EDL : If you find a sword, most likely there will be a scabbard around. But the relevance of scabbards to the gameplay will not be a major one. As for the sticking aspect, we plan to have some items getting stuck withon others is but we don't know yet is how far we will go.

Gothic4.com.pl : Will the dress have the influence on our locomotions? e.g. we will not be able to swim in the full plate armour or quickly to run.

EDL : Actually we are playing around with some ideas related to running speed in full armour or if the weather has any effect on your movements. It is too early to come up with a final answer.

Gothic4.com.pl : Whether if the sword long is in water, he/she will rust up ?

EDL : Yes, we have some ideas how swords and armor could be affected by different things. Must not only be water. There might be other ways to turn a great weapon into a useless piece of metal.
More information.

Gothic4.com.pl said:
Gothic4.com.pl : Whether to Gothic 4 he will come into existence modkit ? (he is giving the possibility of creating the alteration)

^Pure bliss.

At least I had a laugh reading the interview.

But to speak seriously, then I've actually become more and more interested in Arcania. Spellbound seems to have gathered quite a talent pool for the development of Arcania. Though much of what we know is primarily focused on the technical side of the game and not the gameplay or story side.

Is it just me or is that stuff pretty ridiculous to be concerned about? Don't get me wrong... I've been looking forward to the time when game designers FINALLY realize that swords don't mysteriously 'stick' to the owner's back as if with magical super-glue. But if I had the opportunity to ask a developer some questions about a new game I doubt the existence of scabbards would be at the top of the list.

Yeah, it is pretty stupid, I mean it *would* be more realistic if you couldn't swin in full plate armor but basically you either can or can't swin. Nobody wants to drop armor to swin and I guess you had to drop it completety as it wouldn't make sense that your inventory shouldn't have influence on your weight and locomotion.

Unless it's a magical suit of armor, that happens to be light as a feather. Or, you have a magical bag of holding, that is - in fact - a door to an alternate plane, and that's where you store your items (that's how it's done in D&D; Jarlaxle in the Drizzt series has several such magical bags).

Magical weapons shouldn't rust. They're magical. Even normal weapons take a lot longer to rust than the duration of most RPGs.

Personally, I find all of this a tad silly. Let's focus on something more important - gameplay (balance, fighting styles, magic, etc), atmosphere, characters, story, factions, and so on.

Sounds like a graphical nightmare to my aging system. But pretty nonetheless.

Oiling a sword regularly will easily prevent it from rusting for hundreds of years. Therefore, to make it realistic, I suggest that players have to apply a sword cleaning kit for at least 5 minutes at the end of each day that saw a battle before they put their weapon back in its matching scabbard :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom