Oblivion Nehrim... just wow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Level 12 now and it took me... 15 hours to get there approximately? Simply put, this is an astonishing production. I'm surprised it doesn't get more press around here considering its considerable quality, the scorn for Oblivion and how it is all so well addressed.

Nehrim is professional in execution and I just can't believe this was a community effort. I can honestly say I have not seen a single thing that would tip off that it was not a big budget effort. The land is hand crafted and very well done. Every dungeon has a real purpose with a nice back story or a quest and I'm constantly seeking out the next discovery because of it. Thankfully there is no respawning or object loss so you can stretch for risk reward and revisit areas like it should be. You'll want to for loot, since the economy is well balanced. You'll need every dime if you start stretching into difficult areas, those steel tipped arrows are expensive ;)!

The best thing about it though has to be the world building. The writing and acting is top notch. The translated books and the lore are so well written the world feels alive. I can't understand german but you can tell cheesy vs. not cheesy and it is absolutely not cheesy. The written translation is very well done and for once I'm finding myself reading the books which I haven't bothered with since Morrowind. Its all so immersive.

I've done a bit of the main quest and I really like how it is interwoven with the divine lore of the land. I have a vague idea where it is heading and based on how long it too me to get to level 12 its going to be a long journey. I'm glad for that, I have barely scratched the surface of this huge land mass and I'm staying in it for looooooong time.

I can't praise this thing enough. This should have been Oblivion.

Thanks for posting that. I've been tempted to download it for a while but it's quite a big download and I have a very limited monthly data allowance. But if it's that good I think I should just do it. Reading the read me also is encouraging. I feel like playing Oblivion a lot but I'm just so sick of doing the same things over and over. And Skyrim is still nearly a year away, so…

Quick question; have they provided face presets, or can you use something like the Elder Face Copier to copy your character's face from Oblivion to Nehrim? Have you done anything like that? I'm assuming character creation is handled similarly where you creat a face and character at the start.

Cheers again.

Can you really tell if the voicework is cheesy or not in German if you can't understand it?

Is the voice fully in german or somthing like half english half german?

Voiceovers are in German with subtitles. Most ingame texts are translated (e.g. everything quest relevant, but not all "flavor documents"). This is from hearsay, btw, I play it in ther german version.

Voiceovers are in German with subtitles. Most ingame texts are translated (e.g. everything quest relevant, but not all "flavor documents"). This is from hearsay, btw, I play it in ther german version.

I could live with german voiceovers but all text not translated? That makes me a sad panda.

I could live with german voiceovers but all text not translated? That makes me a sad panda.

I don't know the extent of that, though. I just know some people complained about some notes they found being untranslated. That was also the first version, maybe the situation is better now if they did further patches. Better to ask someone who plays the english version or ask at their forums befor judging it. Either way I strongly suggest to give it a try - its free, and quite amazing for a total conversion mod project.

There is very little that isn't translated. Most of the books you'll find around the world are in English. I think I've seen 3 or 4 items - like 2 notes and two books in German out of 30 or so? The fact that the game is in German does nothing but add to the European look and feel In my opinion. As far as the download, I used the Torrent that was available and got it in less than a half hour. You may not get dinged for bandwidth using that network.

OK level 16, 36 hours in. This is Stonefield in the distance which as you can see is really well designed. The landscape and architecture designers definitely took a page from the Gothic book, there is lots of use of height and it feels very natural. Size wise, Stonefield is nothing compared to the capital Erothin though, which has to be about half the size of Baldurs Gate. I spent a good 8 hours there. I'll take a shot later...

NehrimScreen1.jpg

Level 12 now and it took me… I'm surprised it doesn't get more press around here considering its considerable quality, the scorn for Oblivion and how it is all so well addressed.

This should have been Oblivion.

There are quite a few Nehrim threads here. There was even a recent news article that stated the mod won "Mod of the Year" honors. I loved the game but unfortunately, I have one of those machines where the game crashes a lot. Still, I enjoyed my time (unfinished) with this game more than Oblvion.

That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet... I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again...

This mod in not done yet. They are still improving it.

This is huge.
First, thanks to all folks who voted us to the Top 100 list. Thanks to the translation team - although we know that the English translation is far from perfect, we'll be trying to improve it in future patches. Thanks to all who contributed to this mod!

The SureAI team will do its best to earn the success even in the future:

* The major update 1.1.0 will be released soon, including new bounty quests and arena fights as well as an additional Zeroblion quest.

* An addon is under development. It will continue Nehrim's story line from the moment the original game's main quest ended.

That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet… I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again…

Just run around the circle and let your own golem chip away at them. At the normal low level for that quest, you won't be able to go one-on-one with them.

One mistake that Nehrim makes is that you'll have many places you can't visit at all unless you've progressed the main quest to a certain point. I didn't care for where the main quest was heading, so I bailed out on it. This ended up blocking several areas that had a barrier of some kind until you passed point X of the main quest.

I just wanted to post a word of caution for people who are thinking of downloading it; it seems to require a much faster system than Oblivion. My machine runs Oblivion really well, but I play Nehrim on the same settings and it's unplayable. Very, very choppy.

I just exited the first dungeon and I wasn't enjoying it at all up to that point. That dungeon was one of the must frustrating and decidedly non-fun gaming experiences I can remember. The one torch they let you have burned out early on and I'm stumbling around in near total darkness, trying to find my way through. In the end I had to turn the brightness all the way up just to be able to move forward which ruined the atmos of course. And cave troll after cave troll after cave troll!

I was really impressed at the beginning, new armour and items and stuff but having just left the first dungeon I have no compulsion to keep playing. One other major reason for that which is not the game's fault is I'm forced to play with Oblivion's original chase camera and I find it intolerable. A chase camera mod was the first mod I installed in Oblivion, and I did so on the very first day I got the game. That's how bad it is. But again that's not Nehrim's fault. That's Beth's.

And I struggled with the tiny sub title text. I had to lean forward and squint to read it. Not good for late night gaming marathons.

I absolutely adored that starting dungeon! Linear but one of the most atmospheric dungeon experiences I had in a long time. Oh well, different strokes... The system requirements outside are indeed much higher than Oblivion. Turning off distant architecture made it playable for me.

I absolutely adored that starting dungeon! Linear but one of the most atmospheric dungeon experiences I had in a long time. Oh well, different strokes… The system requirements outside are indeed much higher than Oblivion. Turning off distant architecture made it playable for me.

+1 just loved that dungeon

and indeed the game needs a better machine then oblivion… but not much more
I played oblivion on a 8800GT and played Nehrim first when it appeard in english on the same 8800GT card but with a Q8200 instead of a PIV 3.06GHz

Last edited:
I just wanted to post a word of caution for people who are thinking of downloading it; it seems to require a much faster system than Oblivion. My machine runs Oblivion really well, but I play Nehrim on the same settings and it's unplayable. Very, very choppy.

This is because most of the game world is contiguous without having to go through "magic doors". That's really cool but does have this downside. I have a pretty beefy system and there are spots in Nehrim I just skipped because of this (that one creepy forest for instance).

Back
Top Bottom