Oblivion Nehrim... just wow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I haven't done that timed quest but I'm on my way to Stonefield right now on the main quest, so perhaps that's it. The first dungeon is ok, but the game in general really gets cranking after the town gates are opened. I didn't start loving this thing until i got out of the intro areas.

Yes the game is more taxing than Oblivion, but other than the Capital which is freaking huge and so detailed it lags a bit, I've had no issues. 9800m GTS laptop. However, I'm running as follows:

view distance 100%
distant landscape on (a must)
distant buildings on (a must)
grass slider 50%
exterior shadow range 30%
quality shadows off
actor distance 25%
objects 25%
grass shadows off
tree detail 25%

There are alot of NPC's in the game and they are all seemingly busy doing stuff, so set the actors accordingly. I haven't noticed any "pop in" actors at 25% so its not a problem. You can't see objects further than 25% anyway so rendering them is pointless. The big one though is the tree detail, it made a huge difference. All it does is give less leaves, the game still looks amazing and natural. There are ALOT of trees in Nehrim! Grass has always been an issue with the game. Play around with it, you'll find a nice balance.

That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet… I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again…

It turned out that was the quest I was about to do. All you have to do is let Melvin shout out when to do what and its pretty easy - assuming you slotted and hot keyed the dagger and the spell of course! I had to cast the spell twice. Took a few rounds to figure that out.

I am loving this game as well. I'm about 38 hours in at level 19. I'm not even finished with act 2, and there are 5 acts. It's a great rpg. The underworld sequence is how dungeons should be done.

One mistake that Nehrim makes is that you'll have many places you can't visit at all unless you've progressed the main quest to a certain point.

To me, that's common to many games. Even Dragon Age has it, in some places.
These places just don't appear on the map, then.
But they are there.

I've just downloaded Arktwend (Eng) and will have a bash at installing it - Will report back later if i get it to run - it does indeed sound like a good game - fingers crossed.

I think it was faster, had alot of seeders. Over 1MBs. 750 is nothing to sneeze about though! You are going to like this one. I was very skeptical myself having tried ambitious mods and total conversions in the past on Oblivion and other games. This is not like the others.

I really like the Lost Spires mod. But couldn't find much else way back then. I'd play that mod if you haven't yet. I thought it was better than the original quests and DLCs (except maybe SI).

Last edited:
I'll check it out when I finish this yarn. Its going to be awfully hard to give up this XP leveling and Gothic-ish LP system though.

OK back in the capital Erothin on business. I said it was big, like Baldurs Gate big and I wasn't kidding! Pulled out my +2 orb of pic taking…

distance
capital1.jpg

standing on the tower wall
capital2.jpg

in town
capital3.jpg

Nice shots (is the rim lighting setting on max?) - Nehrim outshines big Ob' in many ways, both in gameplay and in the graphics.

I have memories of running along the wall chasing a thief...and then...there's getting into the palace....phew!...good luck.

Yes, it's an awesome mod. I've been playing it more than 40 hours and I enjoy it much more than I ever enjoyed Oblivion. It's hard to believe it's not a commercial project.

Is there any fast travel at all in Nehrim? I know some some don't like it, but some kind of fast travel is a plus in my book

I actually downloaded the Nehrim mod and still haven't tried it. Maybe some day. Frankly, it sounds so big that I'll probably never get very far in it.

No, there's no fast travel, but you can buy teleport spells and teleport to various locations. There's also a "mark" and "return" spell.

Back
Top Bottom