RPGWatch - Lords of Xulima Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I managed to get an interview with Jesús Arribas the Director, and Lead Designer of Lords of Xulima. We talked about crowd-funding, and the upcoming Beta in March.
RPGWatch: Can you go into detail about what you learned during both campaigns?I always like to get an inside look from the developers point of view.

NG: Well, I'd like to say that organising a crowdfunding campaign can be very demanding! It takes about a month of preparation, then you have to actually run it, which means being available 24 hours a day to supervise everything. Whenever I could afford a small break from managing the campaign, it was usually time to provide our backers with what they would like to see, such as a particular Update or piece of art.

About our choice of platform, we started on IndieGoGo because, for a studio based in Spain, it was much easier to set things up over there. Near the end of our first campaign, we found out a great way to launch on Kickstarter, so we decided to make the jump and continue from the point where IndieGogo ended.

Looking back, I must admit we made several mistakes in both campaigns. The worst of them was to not realise that the final days would land right around Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Fortunately we still succeeded, and we are very happy with the results and the response of our backers.
More information.

Last edited:
Once again I hope you enjoyed the interview everyone. Watch the site for two more interviews later this week. Check back on Wednesday and Friday.^^

LoX is the dark horse for the best CRPG in 2014 - thanks for the interview.

RPGWatch: How is development going has there been any problems that may cause a delay? I see other kickstarters delaying their games by a few months.

NG: As a software engineer, I have a lot of experience managing projects which require pinpoint planning and scheduling. Still, I have to admit that a video-game is the most unpredictable type of software when it comes to meeting deadlines.

To answer your question, yes, Lords of Xulima is unfortunately delayed, as we recently posted on our website. It was planned to launch around the end of February 2014, but with the new goals reached in both campaigns, we have to delay it for another three months or so (end of May). I really wish we could share the game sooner, but I feel standards of quality come first; the game has to be polished and free of errors which could ruin immersion. The launching process is also important, as we want to reach out to as many RPG gamers as possible. Lastly, we have a reputation to make; our first project will form the first impressions players will have about Numantian Games.

I do like this string of features/interviews, especially considering the projects they focus on. Good job Couch :)

LoX is one of my own most anticipated for this year too. Actually, I wish it was what I was playing right now, but what can you do...

I do like this string of features/interviews, especially considering the projects they focus on. Good job Couch :)

LoX is one of my own most anticipated for this year too. Actually, I wish it was what I was playing right now, but what can you do…

No problem I actually enjoy doing them. I'm running out of choices though as the larger developers are not easy to get an interview with.;)

My next two interviews are for Subterranea, and Saga Heroes. If anyone has suggestions for other Indie RPG's, and kickstarter games let me know.

How about the Darkest Dungeon Guys ?

They could also do with some exposure too as their KS campaign seems to have completely stalled for some reason...

How about the Darkest Dungeon Guys ?

They could also do with some exposure too as their KS campaign seems to have completely stalled for some reason…
I'll send them an e-mail later to see if they will agree to one. As for their campaign funding usually slows down, but it should pick up at the end. I hope.:please:

I really want the next two stretch goals.:)

I really want the next two stretch goals.:)

The Town events was the last one I was really keen on. But I wouldn't mind those cinematics at 350k at all and I am sure every penny gotten through the KS will help with overall polish and quality too…

The Xulima Team gave the best RPG updates during KS along with Project Eternity. Quality stuff, very unique and informative!

i hoped they will release the beta on steam as early access :(

My next two interviews are for Subterranea, and Saga Heroes. If anyone has suggestions for other Indie RPG's, and kickstarter games let me know.
Underrail? Would be very interesting to get updates on that.

No problem I actually enjoy doing them. I'm running out of choices though as the larger developers are not easy to get an interview with.;)

My next two interviews are for Subterranea, and Saga Heroes. If anyone has suggestions for other Indie RPG's, and kickstarter games let me know./I]

There's Balrum, and the recently released Paper Sorcerer.

Also, while I enjoy these interviews, why are they so short?

Underrail? Would be very interesting to get updates on that.

Styg posts update relatively often so there isn't much to ask that he hasn't already posted.

I pm'ed my 2 interview and question suggestions, but understand i they won't be done(Games farm regarding new Heretic kingdoms, and Ultra runaway games creator of Paper sorcerer regarding future projects).

When I was first introduced with LoX one year ago I wasn't that impressed. Then I red the blog entries about the game and I fell in love with it. The devs carry the same worries like me about how to make a good RPG. I'm sure that this will be a great RPG and it's one of the most anticipated RPGs for me. That's why I ordered the boxed edition (which I do only for big brothers like Divinity or PoI). They have all the time in the world to deliver the RPG that they promised. I'll wait.

Styg posts update relatively often so there isn't much to ask that he hasn't already posted.
Yep, after I posted I went to his forums and noticed that... Just hadn't seen anything on news sites I guess. A couple more games that would be interesting to hear updates on are Jagged Alliance: Flashback and Sui Generis.

Thanks for the reply's. I added the following games to my list to do.

1. Darkest Dungeons
2. Paper Sorcerer
3. Sui Generis
4. Balrum

Also yes I know they are short and will work on the length. Remember this is only my third article I have ever posted. So for now think of them as mini-interviews.

Now lets get back on topic, and talk about the interview.^^

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's. I added the following games to my list to do.

1. Darkest Dungeons
2. Paper Sorcerer
3. Sui Generis
4. Balrum

Now lets get back on topic, and talk about the interview.^^

That is nice list, looking forward to each of those.As for LoX I am am glad they delayed it, there has been lot of stuff to play in last 2 months.

Also yes I know they are short and will work on the length. Remember this is only my third article I have ever posted. So for now think of them as mini-interviews.
May suggest asking people for questions before doing an interview? People that follow closely a project can have some good questions that everyone will profit from. ;)

I'd like to suggest Zaharia. While their KS is almost certainly going to fail this time, I would be interested in hearing from Inner Void about what they've learned from the KS, if they plan on relaunching or have a Plan B for getting the game made. Zaharia is just too good a concept to not get made and their prototype shows so much promise.

Also, while I enjoy these interviews, why are they so short?
If you're hungry for more, you might enjoy reading this lenghty LoX interview that was produced by RPGFrance a while back (mid KS campaign):

Part1: http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10140-1-interview-exclusive-lords-xulima-1ere-partie

Part2: http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10141

Scroll down for the english version. It's not uber-polished (French version alone was a lot of work), but maybe you'll find some interesting questions. From what I gather they're pretty open about interviews, and always try to give thorough answers.

As someone else said in the comments, LoX is not necessarily super-impressive at first glance, but it's through medias like blogs, interviews and crowdfunding that you start seeing what makes the game so rich.

Back
Top Bottom