Anti-Depressant Medications

mudsling3

Sentinel
Most things mentioned here are not new, several issues are taken much too far. There is a huuuge step from restlessness and unstable moods to dangerous aggressive behaviour.

Some effects, including suicide risk are connected to how the drugs affect two basic categories of symptoms of depression: deep sadness and hopelessness, and lack of initiative. The latter protects some patients, they may want to commit suicide, but they're unabke to go through with it. Antidepressants affect both symptoms, but the initiative returns first, and that may be a problem: Still deep down emotionally, but now capable of doing what he/she previously only could think about. In the long term, the drugs reduce the risk of suicide, but there is, especially for young people an increased risk initially. But contrary to older drugs (Tricyclic antidepressants), SSRI's are not toxic, suicide attempts are therefore less likely to succeed now.

No matter what, antidepressants should not be used indiscriminately, and when used always under close follow-up by a doctor. Too many patients receive these drugs, and too many of them are left to themselves.

pibbur who has first hand experience with several of the drugs and are quite familiar with some of the side effects.

Last edited:
It could be bit difficult to discriminate between the effect of the drug and the condition being treated. And you can't really treat psychopharmaca as one type of drug, it's a very heterogenous group of drugs. In addition, there's also the question of other drugs used by patients, including alcohol and narcotics (I'm talking about the combination of substances here)

And finally: Withdrawal reactions are easily handled by gradually reducing the dosage over a period of 4-5 weeks. I've done it several times, when switching from one type of medication to another.

These are things that quite often are not taken into account in media (and in books written by people with an agenda).

I believe the possible effects of psychofarmacs are exaggerated. Significantly. But by all means: In trying to prevent school shootings, no stone should be left unturned. That includes possible effects of drugs. And weapon laws. I'm not jumping to conclusions, claiming that banning guns is the only sensible thing to do (Personally, I think it would be wise, but things are different here in Norway). But I think that question should be evaluated thoroughly, along with lots of other questions.

Thank you for bringing this up, btw.

pibbur who thinks it is important to reevaluate his opinions now and then. Quite often actually. These are his opinions at the time of writing.

3 days

Last edited:
"The news is out. The killer, James Holmes, who dressed up as The Joker and shot up a movie theater full of people in Colorado, had been taking Zoloft, the same dangerous psychotropic drug that the Columbine killer, Eric Harris, had been taking. According to the information released by the judge in the case, Homes had also been taking a drug called Clonazepam. How long do we have to wait until there is a thorough investigation into the dangers these drugs pose to society? It's far easier to blame video games and use the tragedies to target innocent gun owners. Big Pharma and their bought and paid for stooges in government must be stopped," says Andy Sirkis.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-james-holmes-documents-20130405,0,6067279.story

"It's far easier to blame video games and use the tragedies to target innocent gun owners."

No, I don't think so. We don't limit the game playing population to just people with some form of mental illnesses.

I didn't care for Zoloft at all when I took it, but I would hardly classify it as a "dangerous psychotropic drug".

Everyone is obsessed with finding something they can point their finger at and say "Here it is! I found it! Now the problem is solved!" Life doesn't work that way. Never has, never will.

I believe the possible effects of psychodramas are exaggerated but its important to check legal,licensing and other copyright issues.

intellectual property australia

Last edited:
I was on Zoloft and nearly killed myself when i snapped.

How long have you been a scientologist mudsling3?

Bot detected.
A little strange indeed, but there's no spam anywhere to be found (at least not yet). Know that the site bot-squashers are on high alert. ;)

pibbur who has first hand experience with several of the drugs and are quite familiar with some of the side effects.

I am not familiar with anti-depressant medication nor with depression myself, but I do know that depression is a symptom of deficiency of vitamine B12 (methylB12) and/or methylfolate. So supplementing hydroxyB12 or methylB12 and methylfolate can alleviate or even cure depression in some cases.

Some people have problems absorbing B12, they need injections or tablets (sublingual). B12 is a vitamin that can be found in animal products only, so veganists (and some vegetarians) will get into trouble too if they are not supplementing B12.
Folinic acid is present in dark green vegetables, the body turns it into methylfolate, but some are not able to produce enough methylfolate.

B12 and methylfolate are essential for normal functioning of body and mind. B12 for instance is needed for the insulation surrounding the nerves (myelin). Hence a lack of B12 may lead to very different symptoms like depression, apathy, mood swings, brain fogs, concentration and memory problems, dementia, aphasia, numbness or tingling or prickling sensations in arms, legs, hands or feet, coordination problems, imbalance, anomalous reflexes, shortness of breath, muscle weakness, extreme fatigue, feeling cold, weight loss, etc. etc.

It is important to have enough B12 when supplementing methylfolate or folic acid.

If you'd like to learn more, here are some keywords: methylation, methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin, Metafolin, Deplin.
An interesting documentary:
Diagnosing and treating vitamin B12 deficiency

Studies have shown vitamin D deficiency and depression are also related btw. But I am not familiar with the specifics of vitamin D deficiency.

Last edited:
The problem with medicine for mental states - as I see it - is that it focuses on the RESULT of being depressed and confuses it with the CAUSE of being depressed.

If you treat the "result" - you will not be treating the cause.

In any case, that's what I believe.

Lack of B12 = (a) cause.
B12 deficiency should always be ruled out before prescribing anti-depressant medicination or prescribing methylfolate (Metafolin). They both mask the symptoms of B12 deficiency.
If untreated B12 defiency will bring you to dementia and a wheelchair and ultimately death.

Lack of B12 = (a) cause.
B12 deficiency should always be ruled out before prescribing anti-depressant medicination or prescribing methylfolate (Metafolin). They both mask the symptoms of B12 deficiency.
If untreated B12 defiency will bring you to dementia and a wheelchair and ultimately death.

No, it's not necessarily "the cause". I'm talking about the origin of deficiency - and it can be due to a LOT of things. For instance, it can be due to alchoholism or drugs.

Alchoholism in itself is not a cause either - as there's always a reason you become one. In fact, depression can be the origin of alchoholism and drug use - in which case depression is what's causing further depression.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be treating people with medicine - but that we should focus on the origin above everything else.

The problem with medicine for mental states - as I see it - is that it focuses on the RESULT of being depressed and confuses it with the CAUSE of being depressed.

If you treat the "result" - you will not be treating the cause.

In any case, that's what I believe.

The 'cause' can be very complex (social history, childhood .. etc.) and takes a long time to treat, and you need the patient in a reasonable mental state to start this kind of treatment. Medicine is therefore critical in the early stages (especially for advanced cases) to help the patient and his carers to start the long term treatment.

Depressions cause mass killings.
Depressions also cause the use of anti-depressant medications.
Connecting anti-depressant medication with mass killings is equivalent of connecting seat-belts with car crashes. It's stupidity of a level that is hard to take in.

But it's irrational component can be connected to a psychological trait that promotes purity. This trait means that an individual strive to keep their body clean of foreign content. It lead to avoiding tattoo's, sex, "unnatural" or "unclean" food, avoiding alcohol. In it's extreme it also make the individual attempt to avoid medicine and vaccines. At this level the individuals need for purity is beginning to cause the individual physical risks.

Recently these groups have begun to gather in all sorts of cultures, promoting certain diets, fear of a "big-pharma conspiracy", the idea that vaccines causes autism, the idea that radiowaves lead to harm etc.

I thought I should point this out.

Last edited:
Recently these groups have begun to gather in all sorts of cultures, promoting certain diets, fear of a "big-pharma conspiracy", the idea that vaccines causes autism, the idea that radiowaves lead to harm etc.

Some of these are not ideas related to purity but the subject of research and do have an effect. Radiowaves lead to harm is an idea? Stick your head in a microwave while on and tell me how you feel!

Back
Top Bottom