Bleeding heart liberals

So, Z, awful quiet now that it's been pointed out that you're quitting the thread because I insulted myself. Gads, I really appreciate you protecting my honor from that asshole dte. Anything to say, dipwad (that's an insult, by the way)?

You sure you want to stick with this quote dte?

I like short posties. I can find time to read those.

May I suggest to everyone to take some time away from this thread and spend time elsewhere on the forum.
(I know it reads like a question but I did not forget the question mark ;))

In the meantime I go searching for that bloody lock, you never know.

Last edited:
So, Z, awful quiet now that it's been pointed out that you're quitting the thread because I insulted myself. Gads, I really appreciate you protecting my honor from that asshole dte. Anything to say, dipwad (that's an insult, by the way)?

I was quiet because I kept going back to the earlier pages of this thread. And, on final analysis, you are right. You did refer to yourself and so I was wrong in my assumptions. My apologies!
Still, why didn't you say this earlier on? Would have saved both of us a lot of time and aggravation.

:lol:

In simple terms, y'all are so busy fretting about forcing everyone to be equal that you're making yourselves miserable. Enjoy your ulcers, gents.
It's not an option. It happens in cycles. When people are happy inequality can grow unquestioned. When it have grown too much, people get unhappy. Sometimes this lead to great changes and people get happy again.

Exactly. Seems like dte didn't quite get the "...subjective well-being is mediated by the rationalization of inequality" bit.

Oh, I get it. Rationalization does not mean necessarily mean something incorrect is being excused, but can also mean that said something is understood and accepted.

And to forestall the arguments over definitions, let's get to Webster right off the hop.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rationalization
While y'all are clearly going with definition 1b as justification for your touchdown dance (and it's entirely possible that was the intention of the abstract, given the slant of every study on that particular site), I'm favoring the actual entry #1.

@ Ubereil

The answer is to try and apply this guide to your online (and offline, for that matter) debating. And to try not to focus so hard on winning.

I do believe you are right about how we should ideally act, though I would simply describe it as acting with the same respect and sportsmanship as you do in any other game or contest involving opposing players, be it chess or tennis or fencing.

Contrary to those other form of contest and games, however, many thingies are left to perception in debate. So even when debating with the people closest and dearest to me sometimes we need to call for a third person, or several, to arbitrate because what was just idly fooling about outrageous claims got us in a rhetorical stump in which we don't know who won and who lost, or because we just can't decide whether this maneuver was a justified argument or a total fallacy.

Once we throw in the other side being made of strangers whose mannerisms and attitude you can't read other than superficially all bets are off and things usually get hostile and personal very fast. It's totally not easy to avoid it even when we know we should avoid it, as this thread clearly shows.

"That's just your opinion" is what is known as an argument stopper.

Technically denying a claim or declaration as opinion will only be accepted against arguments that aren't backed by formal reasoning. Like, I can't say "your opinion has been noted" if your reasoning is solid, as you have demonstrated your opinion is actually backed by facts or logic and thus I have to refute at least one of the rhetorical, logical, or factual pillars upon which your claim sits.

But any argument that isn't actually backed by formal reasoning, and any whose reasoning has obvious breaches and flaws on it, can be freely countered by "Your opinion has been noted. Can we move to your arguments, now?" and be done with it. Some would even argue actually presenting an argument against an unsupported opinion means you made a tactical mistake by getting trapped in a distraction maneuver you could have simply denied with a handwave and a smug smile.

It's just another way of saying "Back that up or GTFO!" You could call it an argument stopper, yes, but otherwise you would have to take even the most ridiculous claims seriously. We are kind of left with a choice between taking all arguments as true until they have been disproven or taking all arguments as false until they have been proven, as all other options would require us to include a great deal of personal judgement into the process.

What exactly is well-being, though? To be honest, I'm not quite sure. I've got a vague idea, but the idea is (as I said) vague. I'm sure you have some vague idea yourself.

I do recognize the importance of well being, and I actually used it on my first argument on this thread. The point of contention is whether or not a criminal, someone who already violated the right to well being of others, can be trusted with not doing so again.

It is impossible to know for certain whether a given criminal can be rehabilitated or not. Thus every single criminal that returns to society is a risk to the wellbeing of others, as they have already shown they don't care about it as long as it suits their own ambitions. This is quite important: In the united states, for example, recidivism rates are said to be somewhere between 50% and 70%. And those numbers only mention those who are again arrested by a crime less than three years after being released. In other words, under current conditions Each 1000 criminals released back into society create a bare minimum of 500 new victims before even three years have passed. That number takes the lesser rate and assumes both that every one is caught after only one crime and that every crime committed had a single victim.

Isn't their wellbeing important?

Now, according to the numbers I already offered the carcelary system spends X amount of money, where X is a ridiculously huge amount. That amount could be spent in improving the wellbeing of law abiding society. Thus, by spending that amount on keeping criminals alive you are removing potential wellbeing from society. A potential wellbeing that can be measured, actually, and requires no wild assumptions of the "But they may cure cancer if given a chance!" kind.

Thus by protecting criminals from Vii Zafira's shoot pickaxe 'em up legal philosophy you are removing potential wellbeing from society. What does society obtains from it? The loss of actual wellbeing.

What I actually believe someone should try is to actually show is:

1. What would society win from rehabilitating criminals? In a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

2. How does that compares to what it will lose from both the resources being currently spent on criminals and all the extra resources rehabilitation would require? In a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

3. How would they solve the problem of innocents being hurt given the huge recidivism rates? Again in a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

We have shown numbers both related to the money and to the recidivism rates. I expect more than "I believe that…" and "Maybe if…" for an answer.

I am sorry if that did sound hostile, it wasn't my intention. And again, this thread has already gone to places so I don't want to keep arguing this. I just presented this argument as an example of how wellbeing could be disputed, not trying to actually dispute your claim and get into a new argument.

This reminds me of a philosophy joke my brother once told me:

That was pretty fun. :lol:

And yes, that's a problem of all deduction and thought. One could argue that's why following the form and method of debate is so important, beyond the sportsmanship and the fun logical games: It gives a framework by which an opinion can be elevated into something else. Into a form of, say, perceptive truth, for example. Or conditional truth.

Outside of debate groups, people with an interest in rhetoric and logic, and some of my tutors, most people who get to argue with me does think I am extremely technical when arguing with all the weird names and the fallacies and stuffies and thingies.

However, I see it the other way around: Being technical it's the entire point behind a lot of formal and informal fallacies, by which the point is made that it isn't about how nice an argument sounds, nor how agreeable it is, nor who says it, nor who thinks it is cool, nor what emotions it provokes, nor anything other than how technically correct the argument is and how well it can survive crashing against other conceptual structures.

Jesus, conceptual structures? That did sound so bloody pretentious. :'(

Anyway, otherwise we have no framework and everything goes back to "delusions and opinions everywhere."

I still believe we should all just hug and call it a day, though.

Last edited:
Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
I recently understood a pattern. When I mess around with behavioral science I am concerned with what is when it comes to opinions and behaviors. The data, the observations, statistics etc. I examine the evidence and ponder about what to do about it, if anything at all.

I have realized however that many engage in political questions with what's right instead. When you show someone like that the data you got, they seem to not understand what it's for. You get a moral lecture aimed to you as an individual instead of a reflection about what to do about the data with hundreds or thousands of individuals doing wrong according to the one I talk with. So why are they uttering moral judgements in the air rather than pondering about actual solutions? Their moral judgement uttered to me have as much effect on those thousands as a magic chant and/or prayer.

I have realized however that many engage in political questions with what's right instead. .

Well, yes! I guess you have included "intuitive" in "what's right"?

Oh, I get it. Rationalization does not mean necessarily mean something incorrect is being excused, but can also mean that said something is understood and accepted.

You make assumptions. I am fine with option 1. It doesn't have any effect on the data from the abstract. Or on what Jemy have said.

What I actually believe someone should try is to actually show is:

Fair enough, I'll bite that.

1. What would society win from rehabilitating criminals? In a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

By successful rehabilitation the society wins back a productive and largely honest member of society who can contribute to its development as well as well-being. This stems from the very definition of rehabilitation:

Wikipedia said:
The assumption of rehabilitation is that people are not permanently criminal and that it is possible to restore a criminal to a useful life, to a life in which they contribute to themselves and to society. A goal of rehabilitation is to prevent habitual offending, also known as criminal recidivism.

From this definition you also infer that by applying correctly done, adjusted, and comprehensive rehabilitation you reduce the levels of recidivism in the society. We don't have any statistic data which could indicate that without rehabilitation the levels of crimes would be higher.

We can say, however, that countries with good rehabilitation programmes, such as Norway have lower recidivism rates.

On the side note, the example of Oregon show that good rehabilitation programmes are possible, but only with proper management and tight control from the state. More on how recidivism in Oregon compares to that in other states here.

Also, one cannot deny that many former prisoners can contribute to society greately if given proper conditions. Example: Autralia as a penal colony. One can argue that giving prisoners a "fresh start" in new circumstances was rehabilitation in itself. Please also note the list of "Notable convicts".

All of these leads me to believe rehabilitation can contribute to the betterment of society.

2. How does that compares to what it will lose from both the resources being currently spent on criminals and all the extra resources rehabilitation would require? In a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

It is impossible to ascertain the benefits in resource for successful rehabilitation. From the moment the convict leaves the prison we could only judge his contributions by the amount of resource (money) he could produce, and as far as I know there's no study on that. We enter the world of speculation here - so in accordance with the requirement - no wild assumptions - I cannot respond to it.

I can say however, that it is also impossible to prove that without rehabilitation the costs incurred by the society would be lower (the recidivism rates could possibly be higher, resulting in more damage to the society), unless we applied capital punishment for each and every case of lawbreaking. However, because things like miscarriages of justice and abuse of law do take place, one can assume that the cost of reparations in the capital punishment system would be quite high for the state.

I'll leave aside the fact that in this situation would eventually lead to the creation of permanent victims by the state itself.

3. How would they solve the problem of innocents being hurt given the huge recidivism rates? Again in a concise, informative, to the point manner that requires no wild assumptions.

The entire point of successful rehabilitation is preventing recidivism. There's no successful rehabilitation without recidivism rates dropping or at least not increasing if they are sufficiently low. It stands to reason that by lowering recidivism we prevent hurting victism - because there are no crimes, no one is hurt. In other words "they" would solve problems by not committing any more crimes and contributing to society.

True, recidivism rates can fail to drop if rehabilitation is not carried out with proper control, which causes the waste of resources. However, one can say it's not the problem of the idea of rehabilitation, but of authorities who conduct it incorrectly. Furthermore, we know that rehabilitation can be carried out correctly. Again, the example of Oregon comes to my mind.

I think the recurring question here is not if rehabilitation can be of benefit to the society, but when it is - what conditions must be met for the procedure of rehabilitation to be successful. (We know that the fundamental condition of the idea of rehabilitation is stopping criminal from becoming a threat to the society. Now how to secure that?)

By the same token, for the sake of preparing my argument I'll ask you this question Vii: what conditions must be met for the punishment to be considered successful? For now the answer I am getting is - "the criminal ceases to be a threat to the society/victim" (note the overlap)? Is that correct? If so how one accomplises that through punishment alone (in general)? My position is: You cannot have criminals cease to be a threat to the society by punishment alone, unless you start to kill them indiscriminately.

Last edited:
@ Mrowakus

By successful rehabilitation the society wins back a productive and largely honest member of society who can contribute to its development as well as well-being.

1. People in modern society is largely redundant.

In the united states, where all the data presented comes from, there's an unemployment rate of around 8.5%, and as far as I remember unemployment rates do not take into account those imprisoned. What good would do to society to add an extra of at least 1% to it?

2. Rehabilitated criminals will not start producing new resources until after they have produced the entire amount of resources invested in their processing, imprisonment, rehabilitation, etc.

I can say however, that it is also impossible to prove that without rehabilitation the costs incurred by the society would be lower (as the recidivism rates would be possibly be higher, resulting in more damage to the society), unless we applied capital punishment for each and every case of lawbreaking.

Indeed. That's exactly what was argued: That if we take utility as the leading principle capital punishment for every single case of lawbreaking is to be expected.

However, because things like miscarriages of justice and abuse of law do take place, one can assume that the cost of reparations in the capital punishment system would be quite high for the state.

That's an assumption. We can assume there would be expenditures in reparations, and that's only if the state decided reparations are needed, or even legal, but then we can't know how high those would be. Assuming they would be high enough to counter the utility is as valid as assuming they would be low enough to not be worthy of even consideration. The two pieces cancel each other.

However, remember we are talking about execution for every single case of lawbreaking, which includes giving false testimony and falsely accusing someone, which can be considered a deterrent in itself against such abuses on the lower levels of society and the system, at least. And the higher levels is not like they need help to abuse of their power.

I'll leave aside the fact that in this situation would eventually lead to the creation of victims by the state itself.

As long as the number of victims is lower than the number of victims that would be created otherwise we are still in the clear.

Furthermore, we know that rehabilitation can be carried out correctly. Again, the example of Oregon comes to my mind.

The example of Oregon only shows that it is possible to reduce recidivism rates, not to eliminate them completely. Remember one of the duties of the state is to protect innocents from becoming victims, and even with Oregon's recidivism rates you are still creating a number of victims that wouldn't have existed otherwise, and creating extra expenditure that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

Also, we are talking utility here. How much did it cost the state to lower the recidivism rates in such an amount? Was it less than executing them all at half a dollar a pop and be done with it? Also, what about the cost of processing 22% of those criminals all over again? Add that, too, to the cost of rehabilitating those who were so. And the property damage those still breaking laws caused, for example, as well as any other cost incurred.

And what did the state got out of it other adding even more people to the unemployed masses that still consume resources in unemployment benefits, health care, etc, while producing nothing at all?

My position is: You cannot have criminals cease to be a threat to the society by punishment alone, unless you start to kill them indiscriminately.

Indeed. Thus the argument being "You have to kill all criminals indiscriminately."

But you already know both what I truly feel about this topic and that even then I can't accept a single victim being created so let's talk instead about, I don't know, SNSD's new reality show or something. Anything, really, as long as it isn't related to this topic.

Last edited:
Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
Because DTE would rather throw insults around rather than have a mature argument. But you knew that. ;)
Actually, I just enjoyed him demonstrating repeatedly that he's in such a rush to demonize me that he doesn't actually pay attention. I was kinda hoping he'd eventually realize what he'd done on his own since that might have prompted a little self-reflection on his approach, but it was not meant to be.

You'll note that I didn't actually get obnoxious about it until he started getting high-n-mighty with Vii. That's when it became necessary to destroy his little high horse. In general, it's all fun-n-games around here even when we're being decidedly impolite, but I have no sufferance for hypocrites, which I've demonstrated many times.

...but I have no sufferance for hypocrites, which I've demonstrated many times.

Ahhh, it all becomes clear. You must really hate yourself dte.

Not really. I'm quite comfortable in my own skin.

I make a great deal of effort to follow the "goose and gander" rule of behavior and my "philosophies", such as they are, are reasonably consistent. You, of course, don't like them (on the rare occasions you actually read them, evidently), but that doesn't make them hypocritical. I'm even pretty honest about where my "policies" would lead--an extremely orderly but draconian world with a good bit of personal freedom spoiled by crushing responsibility. Very efficient, but not much fun. Everything is properly grounded in practicalities and my approach embraces human nature rather than requiring people to deny their nature in order for the policies to succeed.

A nice, neat bucket of consistency, if I do say so myself.

DTE

It's interesting that you're so obsessed with these debates, but you never have the energy to actually go through them in a fruitful way.

How about actually investing and coming up with more than a paragraph of rhetoric.

It's almost as if that's all you need to convince yourself and blind yourself, and then you can go on your merry way in that grayscale world of yours.

Maybe it's not too late to openly admit doubts. Maybe you can actually experience joy again? ;)

Back
Top Bottom