NVidia buys Ageia

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sounds like it, yeah.

Want a lesson in humility? Just sit down and have a conversation with one of those guys and listen to them explain how their processors work.

Nice avatar, btw.

It was just a matter of time. After Intel bought Havok, the price tag on Ageia went through the roof, and AMD's CEO said they were interested in buying, just not at that price (being cash stripped after the ATI merger).

Well I just bought a new 1 GB Nvidia 8800 GT (my old card died ) which is why they could afford the purchase!! :)

lol @ Crowin
I guess this may be bad news, a PPU lower your FPS that's why very few has a Physics card but if it's now built in inside the Graphics card then it would mean higher price and lower FPS but better physics...that kinda suck for people who prefer higher framerates over good graphics

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a tech news subforum somewhere. Either here or the tech help forum. It seems like a lot of people are interested in it and they tend to spark lively discussion, usually along the lines of why that this or that company is evil (ie. Google for buying Doubleclick).

If the admins think it worthwhile, it could fit as a subforum in the tech help I suppose.

I have rather problems with the additional heat the processor might produce - which might result in even bigger fans !

But on the other hand i must admit that I don't know how much heat such a physics processor*actually* produces ...

I once read a review of a Physics card and it trimmed 20 FPS from the rig they used...

The fan on my new card is as big as a DVD!! :)

Well I just bought a new 1 GB Nvidia 8800 GT (my old card died ) which is why they could afford the purchase!! :)

Why did you go for the 'older' card? -> 8800GTS has the new G92chipset and it produces less heat. Is it because of the 1GB?

On topic: I never was interested in buying an extra card, so the merge of those two is good for me.

GTS wasn't available where I buy stuff and YES, the 1 GB was the clincher!!

Well, the additional 512MB won't make any differences in term of performance; but games that use a lot memory would benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom