RPGWatch - Endless Legend Review

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
What's it like to visit the world of Endless Legend? Aubrielle takes a closer look.

Fantasy fans looking for a something new in a fresh, inspired world will find their prize in Endless Legend. It will also appeal to sci-fi fans as well, since the Endless universe is, at its core, an incredibly rich work of science fiction. The real winners here are 4x strategy fans, since the game brings something new and bold to the table without ever cloning other games.

Endless Legend is an all-around fresh take, and promises to remain timeless by doing one simple thing - coming onto the scene with its own distinct, unique identity. And it will leave a permanent mark on the 4x strategy genre.
More information.

"Difficulty Can Be Intimidating" is a plus for me :)

Thank you for the review Aubrielle - I will definitely buy this one.

Talking about strategy games. Yesterday I found this Sid Meier interview.
A living Legend.

Excellent review Aubrielle, this gave me a real "feel" for the game, more so than any others I've read.
Have to buy it now. Hope you will do other game reviews in the future.

I hope she will do a lot of reviews in the future as well :)

Well written Aubrielle. You are a story writter in books material ;)

Nice review, I agree with score.

cons
-Empire Building is Complex and Slow

That is plus for me.Ok there are times when there is nothing to do for several or even dozen of turns but this game is more about following master plan through than turn to to micromanagement.

One big con for me is that for game that requires good CPU and lot of RAM, AI isn't that good.It's not bad but it's far from best in genre.

Thanks so much, everyone. :) I'm flattered, truly. <3

Wait, you restarted a game because there were spiders? o_O
Interesting.

The only thing I feel strange to see put into a con side is the complexity of a 4X game. Bad explanation of complexity would be a problem, but complexity itself is not.

Other than that, good review.

Last edited:
Thanks for review. Been thinking of buying this. Playing AoW3 and expansion right now. Will have to give Endless Legend a try afterwards.

I don't know what I enjoy more, a good strategy game or a good rpg? I would say that while I am playing a strategy game the hours melt away and the one more turn is always happening to me. A great RPG I think I enjoy the the whole experience more.

Well either way I think both genres have released some top notch titles the last few years.

interestingly you mention that difficulty can be intimidating, yet in a 'let's play' video I watched the main complaint was that the AI was too easy. Guess I'll take those two, average them and resulting in AI being OK :)

interestingly you mention that difficulty can be intimidating, yet in a 'let's play' video I watched the main complaint was that the AI was too easy. Guess I'll take those two, average them and resulting in AI being OK :)

I don't think AI is bad, especially when you compare it to new Civilization games or really awful AI from Warlock games, but it's far from being challenging as AI from Galactic civilizations 2 or Alpha centauri (or even Civ 2).

Sadly I don't think it can replace Master of Magic because Master of Magic has this simple pick up and play quality to it and lack of any clutter, whereas this looks more like a very good Civilization fantasy mod.

I'll always respect a gal who masters 4X games and has good taste in them.

Last edited:
Good review! ;)

I quite like the game myself - and it definitely doesn't play like a Civilization mod.

That said, I really miss an expanded magic system. MoM had a strong magic aspect, inspired by Magic the Gathering.

Endless Legends has almost no magic, apart from the race that's specifically "mage-like" - and they don't seem to have that much.

Beyond that, I find the item system somewhat underutilised and simplistic.

The best part of it seems to be the way you expand cities and deal with minor factions. Those are really nice. Also, the flavor of each race is quite well executed.

Good review! ;)

I quite like the game myself - and it definitely doesn't play like a Civilization mod.

That said, I really miss an expanded magic system. MoM had a strong magic aspect, inspired by Magic the Gathering.

Endless Legends has almost no magic, apart from the race that's specifically "mage-like" - and they don't seem to have that much.

Beyond that, I find the item system somewhat underutilised and simplistic.

The best part of it seems to be the way you expand cities and deal with minor factions. Those are really nice. Also, the flavor of each race is quite well executed.

How the heck do you have time to play all those games ?

I just finished my first play-through last night. I generally agree that it's good. I love the way regions, minor factions and cities work; the UI is great; and it's a genuinely attractive game, which just makes the game satisfying to play. That said, the battles and the AI are pretty meh, and it could do more to help with story-building. It's sad that Fallen Enchantress/Legendary Heroes is so unfairly maligned, as it's a very similar game with a few, IMO, relative strengths. Endless Legend has regions, minor factions, a better UI, and generally feels more polished and satisfying to interact with, but FE/LH has much better battles and feels more fully realized overall. However, because of the Elemental debacle and the long drama of FE/LH's development, most still seem pretty dismissive of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom