Why I Dislike The Euro

YellowWing

Watchdog
You think that europe as one Currency and have all the same prices well guess again Gasoline prices is higher than in the USA we pay per liter here
thus if you pay 1.30 euro per liter in Nederland that would be per gallon 3.8 x 1.30 = 4.94 euro which will be $6.20 per gallon ....

The list gose on and on,, no wonder they raise a eye brow to what the company "Gaines" Info of pricse in Europe

Last edited:
Good question. The European petrol price is due to national taxes (environmental, VAT, you name it), which have very little to do with the EU or the Euro currency....

I wouldn't say that the oil prices are connected to the Euro currency, but the fact is that all the other stuff like food for example got way more expensive since the introduction. The problem in Belgium was that our former currency was ~1/40 euro, so people didn't mind when they payed a copple of those 'franken' (frank was our local currency). Unfortunately old habbits die hard and so many people don't bare in mind that when they pay 0.56 for some biscuits isn't the same as 0.86. This is one example of how much the price got higher. Now when this would be the only thing that got more expensive, I wouldn't mind, but all the food costs more and got more or less the same percentage in higher prices.

Still some things tend to go cheaper: pc's.
Another benefit is that you can actually compare the prices in your country with the prices in another. -> A lot of Belgian people go shopping in the Netherlands for water and cola (softdrinks), because of the price difference. Offcourse you have to see that there still is a benefit considering the oil prices.

In Norway we have among the highest gas prices in the world, and we don't even have the Euro. In Norway, you pay around 1,5 euro / 2,2$ for a single liter of gas in most cities (some cheaper, some more expensive).

However, we also have a higher average salary than most, so it's closely connected (high salaries -> high prices, and vice versa). The average Norwegian makes around 60.000-65.000$ per year (the random guy at the office, construction workers, and so on).

Edit: Taxes are also very high here, 30-50%, depending on salary.

@Maylander In Belgium the paychecks are way less, but we have one of the highest taxes on salary. Depending from which salary level, it's either Germany or Belgium. This is viewed as one of the main reasons why foreign compagnies won't make a head office in Belgium. Offcourse the really big palyers know their way around in the justice department and pay much less on other stuff. Combined with things like a good flexibility amongst employees(at least in some 'parts' of the country) and let's face it near Brussels or Antwerp is still a good location for a compagny, the compagnies still invest in our country.

The oil industry says the oil has become expensive, and highly demnanden (China !), so their prices must go up.

The only "funny" thing is that they ALWAYS do this here in Germany a few days before the great (school-) vacation-times ...

European petrol prices have actually not risen nearly as much as the price of crude oil, which still largely is traded in (steadily falling) dollars. We'll however see significant price hikes when the dollar rebounds, and when our politicians decide to increase emissions taxes (I cant see them NOT doing that with global warming being such a hot topic in politics).

The European prices of petrol is more connectted with relation dollar to euro - cheaper dollar - cheaper petrol here (in world market prices of gallon are estimate in dollars). You have higher prices of petrol in Europe than US because of taxes as somebody mentioned above.

You think that europe as one Currency and have all the same prices well guess again Gasoline prices is higher than in the USA we pay per liter here
thus if you pay 1.30 euro per liter in Nederland that would be per gallon 3.8 x 1.30 = 4.94 euro which will be $6.20 per gallon ....

The list gose on and on,, no wonder they raise a eye brow to what the company "Gaines" Info of pricse in Europe

Another exsample of the currency and "not just gasoline" the old Dutch Currency was or should be 2.20 guldens= 1 Euro Right "SO" if i went to buy something that is five Euro let say a pack of ciggs Which is the old price in Guldens than that pack of ciggs will make it 11.00 guldens Check this out

So what dose this say over the currency :evil:

One of the things I dislike about The Euro is the name, "The Euro." To me it sounds like a cheap car or a snack. Yeah, deep fried and salty. That's it. "Here, try a Euro."

Currency should be a source of pride. "My currency can kick your currency's ass," that sort of thing. It should be precious and worth fighting over if it comes down to it -- not something you put in a bowl and offer to guests to keep their mouths occupied.

The Euro's name should be changed to something that seems more European, and I don't mean the other two syllables, either (although The Pean actually might be an improvement). Something relating to a conquering hero, a sports legend, a popular Pope or a royal. The Diana -- that would be good.

I always thought it'd be more popular if they'd named it the ducat. That's a name with pedigree, and currently not in use for any currency.

"Dollars, pounds, francs, or ducats?" I know which one I'd pick...

One of the things I dislike about The Euro is the name, "The Euro." To me it sounds like a cheap car or a snack. Yeah, deep fried and salty. That's it. "Here, try a Euro."

Currency should be a source of pride. "My currency can kick your currency's ass," that sort of thing. It should be precious and worth fighting over if it comes down to it -- not something you put in a bowl and offer to guests to keep their mouths occupied.

The Euro's name should be changed to something that seems more European, and I don't mean the other two syllables, either (although The Pean actually might be an improvement). Something relating to a conquering hero, a sports legend, a popular Pope or a royal. The Diana -- that would be good.

How about this--->Crown, Sovereign, Krone, Krun, Corona, ..just too name a few

I like the name 'Euro'.

Back
Top Bottom