Grimrock 2 Tips & Tricks

Drithius

Magic & Loss
  • Despite tooltips saying otherwise, Willpower and Vitality do not affect energy and health past the first level. This is by design and tooltips will be patched soon.
  • Spell Compendium
  • Racial Foods
    +1 to random stat after eating several
    Ratling - cheese
    lizardman - eggs
    insectoid - fruits

Can anyone think of some other generalistic tips that aren't too spoileree?

Make your four characters specialize in different weapons, be they melee or ranged. I've not found a bunch of the same types yet, myself, and it helps to have the skills spread out.

Nice thread.Here is some of newbie tips.

• Alchemist is op so if you haven't played original or you think game might be too hard for you or you simply don't like backtracking to heal take him.
  • Minotaur starts with less than 30 energy by default which is needed for special weapon attacks so either take few points of willpower or even better one point in concentration.

My experience in Grimrock has taught me the following useful lessons:

- You should climb the ladder and get out of the water before you drown
- The ladder is right over there. To your left.
- To your left! it's on the minimap
- Oh no wait, my bad, it's on the right
- Climb it! Climb it now!
- Aaaah! A turtle!
- Well, you've drowned again. how recently did you use that lifestone?

Hmm, ok, a few off the top of my head, nothing too revealing:

- Remember to role-play the ever dextrous matador when it comes to particular larger, enemies ;)
- Return to locations full of turtles when low on food (a conceptually similar an idea to Dungeon Master) and have yourself a non-vegetarian smorgasbord.
- When you see a sign that reads "danger" and a platform for an object next to it, remember to save the game first! ;) (In general keeping a disciplined saving system is wise...)

- Save frost, lightning and firebombs for enemies of the opposite element (I'm looking at you Ruins of Desarune...)
- Be sure to plan out skill point distribution to characters; don't make automatic assumptions about classes (Alchemists don't naturally start able to do alchemy for example, I learned this the hard way!)
- Experiment liberally with the runes of the casting system: You never know when you'll stumble upon a new handy spell. (I lucked out on light and darkness...)
- Make good use of the map for note taking; returning to locations is somewhat inevitable in tricky puzzle locations. Keep an eye out for the power-gems and if they're unreachable, make a note to return...
- Be wary of trying to use the leech ability on undead! (Backlash!)
- Use the blue crystals strategically for saving the game and to lower healing potion reliance. (Handy when you're practically crawling out of a level...)
- Go slow, be methodical if you're a secrets fanatic (they are abundant!)

Tis a really fun, absorbing game; I'm having a grand ol' time.

- Return to locations full of turtles when low on food (a conceptually similar an idea to Dungeon Master) and have yourself a non-vegetarian smorgasbord.

*there's also an invaluable fish tank (of sorts) in the sewer area. I've been thankful for it on more than one occasion. Starvation is the enemy of studiously searching for secrets.

*Gold keys - save before using this precious resource ;) They are limited and you might just not have any use for what was behind that fanciful locked gate.

Back
Top Bottom