KoA: Reckoning - Answers from the Team

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I missed the latest Reckoning Answers from the Team last week because of their new website layout, so here's a catchup. This snip also addresses the "choice and consequence" aspect we discussed last time:
Q: Will quests have multiple ways to be finished? Such as instead of killing someone, you can persuade them to go away, etc. – By Fluent

A: Yes, there will be some quests in which the outcome can be altered by making different decisions. Some quests that have Persuasion options in them, may also give you extra EXP or varying rewards based on successful or failed Persuasion attempts. Quests which allow you the option to make different narrative choices may result in an NPC’s demeanor changing, one NPC living versus another, allowing the player to either keep a particular item or return it to its owner, and many other scenarios. There are also quests where you may decide that rather than attempt to persuade an NPC, you can help them out by running a side errand for them to progress the quest, or bribe them with gold to save yourself the time of running the errand. NPCs that you agree to help may offer you services after completing a quest for them, where they previously didn't offer you any before.

As you might imagine, another alternate way to prematurely end a quest would be to kill the quest giver or an NPC crucial to that quest. Some side-quests are linked together, or supplement the outcomes of other quests, so killing off quest NPCs may hinder the end result of a quest chain. You may have to complete favors for a few NPCs before they will unlock more quests, in which case killing the original quest givers might never allow you to unlock the follow up quests (sometimes, this may cause you to miss out on valuable rewards as well!). If you complete the tasks asked of you, the NPCs may reward you with certain weapons or items that will aid you in defeating a more powerful enemy at the end of the quest chain.

Quests in Amalur offer a wide variety of exploration, choice, and reward. I have found that this adds greatly to replay value, especially if you’re like me and enjoy creating multiple saves so you can see how things would have turned out if you made all the opposite decisions on another play-through. – By Kitty “Neko” Hughes, Level Designer
There's also an answer on PC controls.
More information.

It's nice to see Jim Cummings doing some of the voice work. Swords for everybody!

Regarding the PC controls, it's both gratifying and depressing to see the effort they've put into them: he speaks as though being able to assign spells & weapons to more than 4 hotkeys is something special. …And I guess it is indeed unusual these days.

These are definitely good news for me, I really hope that there are multiple quest pattern.
And it's very good that they thought about PC controls, this means that it won't be a mere console porting.

I liked the parts about the dialogue choices and influence on quests (was a bit more positive then the last Q&A on being able to do "all" the content). Sounds like there may some consequences after all.

I liked the parts about the dialogue choices and influence on quests (was a bit more positive then the last Q&A on being able to do "all" the content). Sounds like there may some consequences after all.

Yes...The tone of this answer is quite different from the last posted preview. The proof will be in the final game of course, but I'm hoping it will end up being more like how this developer describes choices, with the IGN preview mainly serving to not "intimidate" the mainstream crowd.

Back
Top Bottom