UFO: Extraterrestrials - Re-Review @ Jolt

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm not clear what happened to Jolt's original UFO: ET review linked the other day but having been pulled, Mute wrote in to point out a new one with a score of 5.9/10 (originally 7.8/10) has now popped up:
As a homage dedicated to the hardcore fans, UFO: Extraterrestrials is adequate, while flawed. Thankfully the community is taking matters into their own hands with mods and support. While this is a neat touch, it would have been preferable if the developers had just made a decent game in the first place. It will probably expand the shelf life a little, but certainly not until someone gets around to actually making a UFO game that captures the intense gameplay of old, and combines it with the look of the new.
More information.

My gut told me that if they corrected the previous so called review, they would feel compelled to come out with a bad review. And I still question if the reviewer really played the game any great length of time. Yes he now talks about game play but the review still seems to be missing the big picture.

And just what is the problem with an unseen shot coming from within the fog of war? That's crazy talk.

But I will give the review this much, at least he did talk about some of the core game play elements.

It's just too bad the review didn't get the game. I'm having a blast with the game. Even in simple mode the longer you play the harder the game play. The tougher the Aliens. The tougher the alien ships. The economic model in the game looks to be getting easier in the late mid game.

Actually, as soon as I finish this post. I think I'm going to go on a quick UFO salvage mission. That's also what I like about this game. I can play a marathon all night session or a quick 20 to 30 min UFO salvage mission.

Back
Top Bottom