Larian Studios - Might Increase Divinity: Original Sin's Funding via Kickstarter

aries100

SasqWatch
Swen Wincke has penned a rather long blog post about how Larian Studios might use Kickstarter to add additional funding to their game: Divinity: Original Sin and thus increase
the budget for the game.
The reason they might go use Kickstarter to do this is here:
If we indeed go to Kickstarter, it'll be because the game deserves to get the maximum funding we can find, even if financially that's not necessarily in our best interest........Which may bring the question why we're actually interested in increasing the budget at all ?

In short, it's because it'll allow us to put more things in, prevent us from having to take shortcuts because of some development mistakes we made, and in general give us a better chance of making that great RPG we know we can make if we can marshal the resources. It'll also allow us to accommodate for some of the suggestions we received during development, not only from people who saw the game live but also from our fans. And it'll allow us to put more stuff in the editor, which we expect great things of. How long has it been since somebody released a decent commercial level single- and multi-player RPG editor anyway?
More information.

Wasn't there talk about this a couple weeks ago? On the topic, i would take part in it. I bet a lot of other people would too. I wonder how much they will ask for? $1,000,000? I think they could get that pretty easily since they are a known commodity.

Wasn't there talk about this a couple weeks ago? On the topic, i would take part in it. I bet a lot of other people would too. I wonder how much they will ask for? $1,000,000? I think they could get that pretty easily since they are a known commodity.

There was rumors based on a mistranslated interview (blown out of proportion by RPGCodex it would seem too). The blog post is trying to explain the misunderstanding.

As for who will contribute, well, Europeans have a lots of trouble pledging on Kickstarter currently (no credit card) and I suspect EU is the biggest market for Larian. I will pledge though. :)

I'd support their kickstarter for sure. I really do believe him when he says he wants to make a great rpg and I think he's been trying (and doing quite well) ever since DD1. I'd really like to see him make a modern U7 that goes beyond U7.

I'm European, no problems pledging, especially for Larian :) All thumbs up (I really want to have more than two of them :)

I would if the price is lower (as it normally is) for kickstarters. I do kickstarter not to support the games, but to get the games for cheaper, cheap bastard that I am :)

I saw the Codex response to this. That site is best taken in small doses; it wants to be clever like RPS but comes across as more than a little irritating.

I just hope they aren't too late, maybe they should have done this earlier when all the money was rolling in for rpg projects. I hope they didn't miss the boat and can still get a decent amount and that kickstarter fatigue isn't a big factor.

If they wait till at least March I will give money to their Kickstarter.

As for who will contribute, well, Europeans have a lots of trouble pledging on Kickstarter currently (no credit card) and I suspect EU is the biggest market for Larian. I will pledge though. :)
I have no problem, pledged on a bunch already. And when it comes to Larian… Gimme the link on Kickstarter, I'm definetly backing it up.

That's an interesting question. Did the various incarnations of Divinity sell better in the States or Europe? If Europe, perhaps a different prepay site other than kickstarter should be the outlet. I would only kickstart if it gives me alpha and beta access, otherwise I'll wait till release.

That's an interesting question. Did the various incarnations of Divinity sell better in the States or Europe? If Europe, perhaps a different prepay site other than kickstarter should be the outlet. I would only kickstart if it gives me alpha and beta access, otherwise I'll wait till release.

Larian had trouble signing a deal to publish Divine Divinity 2 in NA, the game released 6 months later than in Europe.

I would gladly support this via kickstarter, even though my browsers kickstarter folder is getting quite large.

I'd consider it, but I prefer to support small or first time developers over established studios on Kickstarter. But I like Larian, and if they can convince me that a KS campaign will result in a significantly better Divinity game, I'll consider a pledge.

Why in the world doesn't Kickstarter work for Europeans? I'm Swedish and have pledged with my good ol' Visa for roughly 15-20 games. I never got a reason to why some nationalities requires paypal???

Why in the world doesn't Kickstarter work for Europeans? I'm Swedish and have pledged with my good ol' Visa for roughly 15-20 games. I never got a reason to why some nationalities requires paypal???

From what I understand (from following different Kickstarters), credit cards aren't as popular in EU than in NA and some of them are not accepted by Amazon Payment anyway.

Back
Top Bottom