Google Analytics

OMG! I installed the blocker and everything is going lighting fast now.

I block all that crap with firefox addons.

I've noticed a speed increase in Chrome by using this blocker. Thanks, Drithius! :party:

Last edited:
There are better ways to do this.

1. If you use an adblocker like Adblock Plus, it'll cover this sort of thing already.

Incorrect, Sea… it's more of a script (with built-in exceptions) so it slips past the [AdBlock] radar. NoScript for Firefox should work… and possibly ScriptSafe for Chrome.

You can use Adblock to block GA. Adblock just blocks hosts within Firefox. Anything coming from those domains or subdomains will be blocked. That has to include scripts, since many ads use scripts and flash. Not sure if GA is on their default filter list, but it's easy to add it.

3. You can use a custom HOSTS file (such as http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm) to eliminate 99.9% of ads and tracking at the operating system level. It's faster and won't eat memory like Adblock Plus will. The only downside is the blocking is less fine-grained (can only block entire domains, not individual pages etc.), but that won't matter for the vast majority of sites.

I don't use a specific adblocker extension anymore because my HOSTS file covers basically everything. I definitely notice a speed difference and it's browser-agnostic, so other programs won't be able to connect to evil domains either.

I'm using the custom HOSTS file, but installing the plugging in the OP speeded up my web-browsing by a lot still.

I just installed it and it seems to have speeded up my browsing as well.

I'm using the custom HOSTS file, but installing the plugging in the OP speeded up my web-browsing by a lot still.

I guess that would be possible if the Google Analytics script is distributed, and actually included in the code of the page you're visiting. In that case, blocking the GA host might stop the communication with Google, but the script could still run uselessly in the browser. The opt-out tool might tell the script not to run, in which case you could conceivably speed things up.

Did you run any benchmarks or tests comparing on/off?

You do realize "faster" might be a) placebo, or b) you are loading a cached page, right?

It's fast enough to be very noticeable in term of speed. Going from taking a few seconds to load the page to basically instant. The script probably remove the call to GA entirely, while the HOSTS file reroute it toward localhost.

Back
Top Bottom