Witcher 3 - Sex, Story & Open Worlds

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The EGMR staff talk with CD Projekt RED Communications Manager Fabian Doehla about sex, story, and open worlds in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

There are few games that we at EGMR love more than The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on its way, we were eager as beavers to get talking about the game with one of CD Projekt’s own.

We really love CD Projekt RED and getting to personally speak to Communications Manager Fabian Doehla (sorry for the misspelling in the video) at rAge was an absolute honour. Watch our interview above together with Marko Swanepoel where we ask Fabian about what you can get up to in the third game in the trilogy — and yes, we go there.

Our sincere apologies for the sound quality in the video which was due to last-minute audio hitches that were out of our control. Still, we hope it’s mostly audible to you and if not, perhaps consider how lucky you are to be alive in this day and age and not during the times of the bubonic plague.
More information.

Jesus, the audio on the interview is just awful. I can hardly hear a thing.

Well, maybe you should consider how lucky you are to be alive in this day and age and not during the times of the bubonic plague.

Well, maybe you should consider how lucky you are to be alive in this day and age and not during the times of the bubonic plague.

While he's doing that, maybe you should consider starting your therapy sessions again.

Now I haven't had a coffee yet this morning, but WOW! what brought this comment on? All the person said was the audio was bad.

Err, I think Paul was having a joke based on reading the actual news brief. :p

So the game has an emphasis on sex? In my opinion that is unneeded and it is a distraction. I much prefer when things like these are implied or subdued, or not present at all, as it is very rare when they bring anything real to the story. It mostly seems like a cheap way to generate sales from the male audience by making them feel like the ultimate alpha male hero whom women adore.

I don't think I've ever felt like an alpha male because of virtual sex in a computer game. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? ;)

I think that Humanity didnt mean that ALL males who will have virtual sex in Witcher will feel like alpha males. But some of them (teenagers?) will. Its open to debate if they are just faithful to the books or if they overdo it in order to do what Humanity said.

I guess if you don't think of sex as a pleasant and natural activity when it's between two consenting adults, it's the kind of thing you have to care about.

If we go by the previous Witcher games, it's completely optional and especially Witcher 2 handled the scenes with surprising maturity for a computer game.

Can't say I'm too interested in fantasy sex like that, but it fits the character - and you have to want it to be a problem, for it to be a problem.

I guess if you don't think of sex as a pleasant and natural activity when it's between two consenting adults, it's the kind of thing you have to care about.

If we go by the previous Witcher games, it's completely optional and especially Witcher 2 handled the scenes with surprising maturity for a computer game.

Can't say I'm too interested in fantasy sex like that, but it fits the character - and you have to want it to be a problem, for it to be a problem.

It's not even so much that the content in and of itself is really a problem. I guess it's mostly in the way it is marketed and seemingly shoehorned into the end product.

To me it is the HBO effect. You have the inclusion of a lot of cheap salacious content that seem out of place or superfluous in shows like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, and the marketing accentuates these aspects as part of the premise, when in actuality they might not even be that important. For example the sex of Game of Thrones indeed was used adundantly in the first season and became part of the marketing for the products through blogs like TMZ. When the reality is that the show is about a complex Ivanhoe-like political intrigues and the battle between good and evil. Breaking Bad was marketed as a show about a regular guy becoming a ruthless and prolific drug kingpin, when the reality is that the show is about a man who struggles between his ego and his morality.

CD Projekt Red even plays along with sites like Eurogamer who recently made an article titled "Is Gerard from the Witcher 3 too handsome?" something that looks like fodder for sleazy blogs like TMZ and not like journalism.

Essentially this is a company that seems to pride itself on treating it's customers with respect, which now starts to look like it treats it's customers like unthinking animals. I don't remember these things being featured so much even in the time leading up to Witcher 2's release.

Last edited:
It's not even so much that the content in and of itself is really a problem. I guess it's mostly in the way it is marketed and seemingly shoehorned into the end product.

To me it is the HBO effect. You have the inclusion of a lot of cheap salacious content that seem out of place or superfluous in shows like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, and the marketing accentuates these aspects as part of the premise, when in actuality they might not even be that important. For example the sex of Game of Thrones indeed was used adundantly in the first season and became part of the marketing for the products through blogs like TMZ. And Breaking Bad was marketed as a show about a regular guy becoming a ruthless and prolific drug kingpin.

CD Projekt Red even plays along with sites like Eurogamer who recently made an article titled "Is Gerard from the Witcher 3 too handsome?" something that looks like fodder for sleazy blogs like TMZ and not like journalism.

Essentially this is a company that seems to pride itself on treating it's customers with respect, which now starts to look like it treats it's customers like unthinking animals. I don't remember these things being featured so much even in the time leading up to Witcher 2's release.

Who cares about marketing?

I care about the game and the content of the game. Suits figured out that sex sells many, many years ago. If you're saying using sex as a marketing tool is bad, I'd tend to agree - in that it's not particularly useful as a delivery of information about the game. But I don't see sex as a problem.

Then again, I'm neither American nor Christian ;)

Geralt is a hot monster hunter and it makes sense that women would want to have sex with him. I don't really see anything wrong about that, unless it's forced upon the player and if it's done without passion by the developers. I have no reason to believe CDPR suddenly turned into crazy sex-freaks - so I'm not worried.

I think I'll wait for the game to actually be released before I make the final judgment call, though.

But, to each his own.

If you think its problem for me then you are wrong. I think its ok for a Witcher character. But I understand if Humanity or others dont like that marketing thing.
I wrote my previous post because of that argument you used there.

If you think its problem for me then you are wrong. I think its ok for a Witcher character. But I understand if Humanity or others dont like that marketing thing.
I wrote my previous post because of that argument you used there.

I haven't invested in whether it's a problem for you or not. I'm talking about people in general having a problem with that kind of thing because they want to have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom