Witcher dte is too lazy to play the game!

The Witcher

dteowner

Shoegazer
What are you waiting for? Get the game; it's the best new rpg in years!! :)

PS, the Aussie version is not censored!!
What scares me is that much of the buzz for Witcher follows the buzz for Gothic. Deep interaction, wonky combat, meaningful choices... I've roundly failed to get into Gothic the several times I've made the attempt, so I'm not sure Witcher is for me. Some day, I'll try the demo, but I've got so many games on my "to be played" shelf already that I'm not likely to open that door any time soon.

Did you like NWN dte?... I personally did not, but only because I don't like turn-based combat. To me TW is a match-up of NWN and Gothic. The combat is not "wonky," at least if that word means what I think. ;) It is a very cool system that almost feels turn based but hands-on enough to please action freaks like me. The story and atmosphere are simply incredible so far (I'm still in chap. 2 mind you.) The choices are every bit as intriguing as all of these previews, reviews, and general fan raves lead you to believe. They are way more significant than anything the Gothic series offered.

I almost feel bad trying so hard to talk you into the game, because you may not like it after all. But who knows?

I enjoyed NWN1 more than most. What I've noticed about myself in the last year or two is that I just don't do "frantic" anymore. With DS2, I right click on the critter and my party beats the stuffing out of it all on their own until I click on something else. With X2, I pick a destination, hit the autopilot, and wait for my ship to fly itself. Eschalon was practically a roguelike, so nothing happened until I made my move. Even playing Bioshock, the easy difficulty allowed me to be very deliberate with my actions.

Gothic's combat seemed too twitchy to me in the brief attempts I've made so far. The screwy controls made it even worse. I think Xen's "Digger Quest" soured me even more since he proved that a twitch master (I'm using that as a compliment) could complete the game without really doing character development.

Well, see, to me that makes TW a game for you. There's no limit to being able to active pause while in combat, making the pace whatever you please. That being said, I prefer the combat exactly the way you don't - I rarely use the pause, and try to change styles, cast spells, drink potions, etc... all in real time. To me that's part of the challenge. But that's why this game is so accesible - you don't have to do it that way.

Dte, I have no problem handling the combat in normal mode and it's a known fact that I absolutely suck at twitch combat. My reaction time is so slow, I'm often dead before I realise there's a fight going on in most RT games!! :)

Dte, I have no problem handling the combat in normal mode and it's a known fact that I absolutely suck at twitch combat. My reaction time is so slow, I'm often dead before I realise there's a fight going on in most RT games!! :)

If its Corwin-approved, it is not a twitch game. Period! :)

We kinda derailed the patch thread, so I peeled this part out.

Anyway, the title says it all. Physically, I can do twitch. I'm not great at it, but I can hold my own. I just don't want to these days. I game to wind down at the end of the day, so I'm looking for slow pacing. And to be honest, as a spreadsheet gamer, I don't get as much out of "meaningful interactions and consequences" as a proper RPGer should. A nice repetitive slog where I can focus on character optimization and map mowing suits me to a tee. My tastes may swing back some day, but that's where they're at for now.

I know the feeling you're talking about dte, and often have it about games these days. It's hard to believe one may actually be fun sometimes--I have about ten games waiting for me to get up the enthusiasm to play them, and they all are "good" games....but I think you would enjoy The Witcher.

The Witcher is a good balance between dialogue heavy and combat oriented. A great deal of the game is not combat-- there is map-mowing and exploration for sure, but finding and resolving quests, leveling & distributing your skills, tinkering around with potions, and so forth takes up at least as much time--in fact, at times I just had to stop talking and go find something to kill. :)

Until the last act, you can set your own pace pretty much. Then it gets more rigid, but it goes fast. I very seldom finish games--it takes real involvement to get me to the end screens, but I had no moments of disconnection with TW.

As far as actual combat, it's not much like Gothic, to my mind--I just used the easy setting and breezed through it, and I'm not much of a twitch gamer either.

As Jabberwocky says, if anything, it's almost a turnbased feel as you get the timing down, sort of an automated turn-based, if you will. :) which after the first act, is pretty much second nature. And while it's not as grind oriented as an action rpg, the maps are teeming with evil creatures which must be removed, and the carnage will level you at quite reasonable intervals. The skill system for leveling and character development is very well done and intuitive mostly.

Anyway, it's hard to come at this game without a lot of preconceived notions after all the hoopla, so I understand that it may have to wait. I liked this game the most since Might & Magic VII though, and that's really more my perfect game than PS:T, (even though that's high on my lists as well)--if that tells you anything. :)

If you're saying this game fits into the MM7/Wiz8 family, I'll buy it tomorrow and bless your name for correcting my perception. That's exactly the experience I want and I'll work with a RT structure if it gets me that experience (IOW, I don't define that family as turn-based, even though they generally are). My current impression is that Witcher is PS:T with "Mortal Kombat" combat.

If you're saying this game fits into the MM7/Wiz8 family, I'll buy it tomorrow and bless your name for correcting my perception. That's exactly the experience I want and I'll work with a RT structure if it gets me that experience (IOW, I don't define that family as turn-based, even though they generally are). My current impression is that Witcher is PS:T with "Mortal Kombat" combat.

To me it fits in that family mostly because I had that much fun with it, which few other games have given me. Even little things like Dice Poker being as good as Arcomage for instance.

Haven't played Mortal Kombat--but I think if this game were party based(not that it really could be, but speaking hypothetically...) it might be similar to a Wiz 8 feel--what would be missing would be the multiple classes for the tactical combat and loot( there's almost none, except for the alchemy aspect--collecting potion ingredients and brewing up mind and body altering substances is about all you need items for, though that's a neat and satisfying system in itself.)

The quest structure, in particular, is very traditional. The story is at about the same level of detail and complexity as Wiz 8 plotwise, and better than MM7, which wasn't too story oriented. But there definitely is a PS:T aspect, I won't lie. I don't think you have to play it as if you're seeking the meaning of the Universe, though. :) You can also play it to accomplish goals, get things done, kick ass and take names, at which the game excels.

I'd say try the demo and see for yourself, but add the rider, the game gets a lot better as it progresses.

Ah, the things I missed by being a parent instead of a kid back then. :)

btw, you can always whine afterward that we all lied to you....or, you can just always whine. Not anything new at an rpg forum. ;)

Wow! I loved The Witcher but I couldn't compare it to the Might and Magic series at all. Wiz8 it compares to in the number of battles, but that's about it. I suck at clicky-clicky games though, and I was able to beat TW in normal. I've played around with it in hard, but it wasn't as fun for me. It has little replay value, but I just wanted to see if it was compelling enough to play through twice. It wasn't. If you enjoyed the earlier might and magics <-5, you might like the two shareware games Yendorian Tales Chapter 2 and Chapter 3. These are very much like MM3-5.

i just want to add i'm confused why people are using TW to label the witcher. isn't TW=two worlds which is a recent game, rpg at that, make things confusing?
also i'm an anagram hater to the max!

still not playing the witcher yet as my loyal uk seller is lagging on the shipping. i busted out NWN2 though after a year in hiberation from a stalled attempt that ended upon getting the stronghold. i had forgotten the crazy amount of loading screens. and people say the witcher is bad. is it worse?

gothic was the new standard for me from the moment I played it.
I won't say the witcher is the new one, but is but in an other way. (maybe because I use the topd down view the most). It is a great game for me, and I haven't said that from a game since g2 or g1

i just want to add i'm confused why people are using TW to label the witcher. isn't TW=two worlds which is a recent game, rpg at that, make things confusing?
also i'm an anagram hater to the max!

I think we talked about usng TW for The Witcher and 2W for Two Worlds in a thread here one time, but you do see it all over abbreviated that way a lot. Acronyms are irritating, but great if you're too lazy to type. ;)

still not playing the witcher yet as my loyal uk seller is lagging on the shipping. i busted out NWN2 though after a year in hiberation from a stalled attempt that ended upon getting the stronghold. i had forgotten the crazy amount of loading screens. and people say the witcher is bad. is it worse?

No, I think the NWN2 loads are just as bad and maybe worse, but there aren't quite as many of them, especially in act 2 & 3 of The Witcher, where it automatically autosaves every time you go in or out of a house, which you have to do constantly chasing quests. The patch, though is supposed to have dramatically reduced this.

crpgnut wrote
Wow! I loved The Witcher but I couldn't compare it to the Might and Magic series at all. Wiz8 it compares to in the number of battles, but that's about it....

:police:Shhh, don't tell him that!

Seriously, I do think that the Wiz 8 story, with the factions, mysterious figure of the Dark Savant, backstories from other games in the series, etc., shares a feel with the Witcher in terms of traditional and nontraditional rpg plotting. After all, TW is based on a string of novels, full of disputing factions trying to rule the game world, and has quite a bit of exploration (and map-clearing combat encounters, as you point out.) But no, it isn't a modern replica, for sure. I really just meant it was one of the few games I enjoyed as much as MM7. :)

Well, I loved most of the M&M's, loved Wiz 8 and love TW. Mind you, I also think Grimoire is great!! :)

Back
Top Bottom