Recommend me a RPG, please!

@Moriendor
On the other hand I might install M&M 6-8 on my EEE PC , if it works ok on DOSbox..
Cheers
You don`t need Dosbox for these. Just install latest Grayface patches and all three will work wonderfully on EEE.:)

Actually, I think the graphics are marginally *better* in M&M 6-7. At least that's what I remember from back in the day when I first started up 9 and hated it. Compared to modern games they're a bit pixelated, true, but after an hour so so you don't even notice.
Even if part 9 is by far the worst in the series you can`t seriously think it has worst graphics than M&M6. Graphics in IX are far superior than ugly sprites in Mandate of Heaven. M&M6 does not support 3D acceleration and acceleration in M&M7-8 look worse than software mode imho.

You don`t need Dosbox for these. Just install latest Grayface patches and all three will work wonderfully on EEE.:)

Even if part 9 is by far the worst in the series you can`t seriously think it has worst graphics than M&M6. Graphics in IX are far superior than ugly sprites in Mandate of Heaven. M&M6 does not support 3D acceleration and acceleration in M&M7-8 look worse than software mode imho.

I'm probably thinking of 8 then. The one with the volcanos and lava. I remember loading it up and getting a headache after fifteen minutes. I may not ever have bothered with 9.

AFA the earlier games I just don't find the graphics much of a problem, probably because I first played them when they were acceptable and the nostalgia factor is kicking in. :)

I agree with some of the replies:

- NWN & NWN 2 are worth it for the expansion packs Hordes Of The Underdark and Mask Of The Betrayer (I've also read good reviews regarding the 2nd NWN2 expansion pack, but haven't played it.

- I just got M & M 6 a few weeks ago (all first 6 M & M games actually) and graphics don't look bad at all. Certainly aged but they have a clean look that is pleasant and not headache inducing like many 3D games of its time. As for gameplay, haven't played it much yet, just tried it out (haven't played ANY of the M & M games yet but...)

- I just got Heroes of Might & Magic III and am LOVING it. It's a strategy game but naturally it has some RPG elements and it's of course set in the M & M universe.

- Try Drakensang. I just started playing it recently and am really enjoying it. More than I enjoyed the original campaign in NWN 2.

- Wizardry 8 is an excellent game, very challenging with a great skill/class system and interesting setting.

@txa1265
'notebook gamer' reviews is a great idea!
How about EEE PC review as well? ;-) It's easy to take it with you anywhere you go and play the good old classics that we missed in the years.

That is what I am talking about - I didn't want to link to them as they aren't done for RPGWatch but for another site, though they have been linked for news items.

I use my Lenovo s10, which falls pretty squarely in the current standard settings for a netbook.

Evil Islands is really tough - and huge.

I haven't seen Ultima V - Lazarus mentioned yet. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard very good things and given that the Ultima games are kind of the grandparents of the Gothic games and Lazarus updated the graphics of Ultima V, you might dig it. You'd need a copy of Dungeon Siege to play it.

Don't forget that U6P is also about to be released and it's even better than Laz.

M&M7, IMO had the best graphics of the series, though relative to their eras, World of Xeen wins out.

8 was just bad, in all ways. At that time the engine was getting seriously dated, and it lost a lot of the charm and character of the prior games. IIRC, JVC also had no part in M&M after 7, so that may be why.

That is what I am talking about - I didn't want to link to them as they aren't done for RPGWatch but for another site, though they have been linked for news items.

I use my Lenovo s10, which falls pretty squarely in the current standard settings for a netbook.

Evil Islands is really tough - and huge.

Hmm , where are these links, may I see your reviews? :)

I could not have quote well but it seems those hasn't been quoted yet and they worth the play:
  • Prelude To Darkness: For some weird reason I never finished this game but played enough to know it has plenty qualities making worth the play, mainly deep story contents and background, full RPG system, party based. But despite it's a 2002 release the graphics are out dated. But in my opinion it don't feel much more dated than a game like Arcanum, my feeling could be wrong.
  • Baldur's Gate 1: It's before 1999 but its graphics are more modern than those of Arcanum and I strongly suggest playing it before the BG2 full series.
  • Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition: Take care to get the Collector's Edition only, because the standard edition is incomplete. It's a game not fully finished/polished and not the perfect game around but this action RPG have charms, some people get it and some other don't but it really worth the try. It's a sort of Diablo but with much more RPG mood than the Diablo series. The class system and fight system are both rather interesting and despite the area and dungeons aren't so big the game still know build an interesting RPG exploration mood.

EDIT: I often forget it because few people mention it, not the best CRPG around but I really enjoyed it quite a lot:
  • Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader: It's another action RPG, another one between Diablo and Dungeon Siege but with a slighter deeper RPG mood than Dungeon Siege and better designed area. It isn't party based but companions you can get play an important role for the fights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom