KoA: Reckoning - Review Roundup #2

From what I read we should get a patch with camera fixes (and other improvements) one day. That's why they asked the questions and took suggestions. Some of them can't be fixed though and the dev were nice enough to explain why (ex draw distance can't be changed because of engine limitation).

I missed where it was said that the camera question was asked for an improvement in this area post game release. If that happens that would be great. Thanks for the info.

The draw distance doesn't really bother me for this type of game so I don't have a horse in that race.

I played KoA last night for about 3 hours. The game is fun. It doesn't fit the mold of my favorite type of RPG, but it's still a lot of fun to play.

I played for 3 hours last night too and came away with a similar feeling. In fact, I find that most games I play and enjoy fall into the 8 range from scoring, because games rated a 10 seem to be almost "too" conventional and (like others have said) have been pushed to high-heaven by major publishers. Although KoA got a bit of a push near the end, the game was almost an unknown entity to most gamers until quite recently.

Also, for a first-time outing, an "8" is a success IMO. Other 8-scored games I've liked that were first in the series "The Witcher" (81 metacritic), "Risen" (77 metacritic), "Vampire Bloodlines" (80 metacritic), "Borderlands" (81 metacritic).

All good scores minus a few...myself, I am quite happy with the game. There are choices and consequences in the game, I've seen a couple cool things so far. I have only put in about 10 hours so far, but the destinies will suprise you guys with some powers granted as you go up.

All in all, a solid outing fort a first game, ladies and gentlemen we have another studio making good rpg's oh yeah:)

Starting to run into a decent number of bugged unfinishable quests past Ysa. It seems like they may have more thoroughly tested the earlier areas by a decent ammount as I had only run into two glitched quest in my first 20 hours of playing and in the last hour I've run into 4 in a row. Also found out that most of my choices don't matter as much as I may have supposed - the only difference between betraying/destroying a faction I joined and completing that questline honorably was that in the first case some NPCs had grumpier dialogue with me (still provided their services) and several NPCs I had saved were just removed from the game-world (not dead and no mention of what happened to them.)

Still having fun (obvious since my entire last 2 days off have mostly been spent playing) but the density of quest bugs in the area near Rathir and the desert south of it is making me hope for a patch soon. The ability to open the developer console would be helpful too but I haven't heard of a way to do that - would at least possibly making advancing stuck quests possible.

Last edited:
.All in all, a solid outing fort a first game, ladies and gentlemen we have another studio making good rpg's oh yeah:)

Easy Rune... Remember that, judging by your own standard mentioned in the CDProject Red thread, a company can't be considered good after just one or two games. That means that this studio can't possibly count, right? ;)

Easy Rune… Remember that, judging by your own standard mentioned in the CDProject Red thread, a company can't be considered good after just one or two games. That means that this studio can't possibly count, right? ;)

I don't count them as one of the top developers until they have a few games out, but it's a good start. Obviously I think Cd projekt is higher at the moment, but need to see more games from them then just the two witcher games. Granted the witcher 2 was a lot better then the first. I think larion is more established then cd projekt as well...maybe I should have used established, since it made so many of you cry. This game is obviously a good start for them, no point in denying that.

I really wish you guys could talk games and stuff without going all childish, it gets really old.

"Generic story and characters, generic world generic quests"

Ouch!!! That would be a killer for me if it seems to be the consensus.

With Skyrim, I feel like I have to go college and get my Masters in 'Skyrim' just to play it and hopefully avoid breaking quests. So far with KoA, I can just be a gamer and play.

What are these quest breaking bugs you speak of?

Anyone else running in to monsters that don't fight back?

Yeah - not all that common but I have had entire groups of enemies just sit there while I killed them all. They weren't below my level either - they were slightly higher than me.

It must be tough always being the victim. :rolleyes:

Can you ever stay on topic, excessive trolling doesn't help anyone, other then show your maturity.

On topic, there always seems to be one more thing to do in the game, this a good thing, I haven't got bored with it at all so far, got about 12 hours in now.

The monsters not attacking you is a bug I think, hopefully a patch will fix that.

Can you ever stay on topic, excessive trolling doesn't help anyone, other then show your maturity.

I agree - whoever called someone childish a few posts back really derailed this thread. I can see why you'd be annoyed with them - unless that was you.

The monsters not attacking you is a bug I think, hopefully a patch will fix that.

Yeah hopefully there will be a patch. The non-attacking enemies isn't quite as big of a deal as some of the quest bugs. Most of them can be worked around by loading an autosave and doing the scene again - but the "Her Righteous Fury" one usually isn't. I hope those get fixed soon, but quest bugs can often be harder to fix quickly in ways which will help players who have already encountered the bug. They'll also probably be addressing the infrequent but game-breaking glitches that can happen with the Hunter/Hunted main-quest section before glitched side-quests anyways.

Please.. just shut the @#$% up. It's not like you're fooling anyone with that bullshit.

Is that mature enough?

Last edited:
Settle down gentlemen; personal comments will NOT be tolerated. Any more and I shall issue infractions. Thank you!!

I'm glad to find out that those quest bugs may not happen to me and since most bugs people have in games don't happen to me it likely won't.

PS. I'm watching with my cursor above the "Add Infraction" button so please don't give me a reason to.

I'm glad to find out that those quest bugs may not happen to me and since most bugs people have in games don't happen to me it likely won't.

PS. I'm watching with my cursor above the "Add Infraction" button so please don't give me a reason to.

Well the bug in the poison-the-watering-hole quest actually appears to be limitted to people who make regular use of the sorcery AOE powers. I'm going to see if I can replicate it a third time because it looks hilarious if you happen to be looking in the right direction at the right time (you get a weird Christmas tree shaped pile of flickering corpses.)

I was using AOE lightning and and attacking with envenomed daggers to poison and kill/knock off 5 cultists. Well the quest will keep spawning - to a point - more enemies as you kill them until you hit 5/5. The lightning spell sort of lingers - the window of time in which enemies already within or just entering its area will be damaged is not instantaneous. With my gear - it was killing almost all of them in one hit and so the quest would spawn another wave immediately upon the death of the first (quickly enough that the same lightning spell that killed the original was killing the replacement and its replacement's replacements.) I think this might have been what broke the quest for me - so just be careful of high-power AOE sorcery abilities.

Can you lend me one of you immunity to bugs potions?:) I'm usually pretty lucky with bugs as well. Haven't run in to any of the quest bugs in skyrim yet and only have the enemies not fighting back in koa. It couldn't hurt to have one of those potions on the shelf though.

I think it's mostly due to the fact that I play my games slowly and usually start over alot in the beginning. Giving ample time for patch before I get to far in. For example I have 133 hours in to skyrim and have only completed the thieve's guild and side quests with 3 restarts.

I've played 4 hours of koa but still haven't gone any where outside of what was possible in the demo.

Back
Top Bottom