Hero-U - Another Kickstarter to Raise Funds

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Developer Corey Cole announced on the website for Hero-U he will be starting a new kickstarter to raise more funds to help finish development of his game.

In May, Transolar Games will start another Kickstarter to raise money to finish the Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption project with extra flair and pizzazz. Over the course of the next few weeks, we will send two demos out to our Kickstarter Backers who wanted to Beta test our game. After initial testing and feedback, we will make both demos available to other backers and the public.
More information.

Last edited:
These kind of actions unfortunately lower the credibility of crowdfunding projects.

That's a bit harsh. I think you should base your comments on the demo they provide. Remember xulmia went through 3 or 4 fundings before the final results.

These kind of actions unfortunately lower the credibility of crowdfunding projects.

AFAIK the game will be finished regardless of the new kickstarter, it's just for enhancements. Nothing wrong with that IMO although one could say their management of their funds wasn't entirely satisfying.

Not giving any more to this one...I feel they just don't have it in them to complete it.

This is silly to think this is indicative of others kickstarters.

These guys are ridiculous. if people give them more money, they deserve to be scammed.

All this shows is that only big names can make middle sized games on Kickstarter, or studios that employ people who will work for almost no pay or who come from second or third world countries. In other cases the money dries up very fast. The Coles even had to put a mortgage on their house to pursue development.

All this shows is that only big names can make middle sized games on Kickstarter, or studios that employ people who will work for almost no pay or who come from second or third world countries. In other cases the money dries up very fast. The Coles even had to put a mortgage on their house to pursue development.

No. All this shows is they didn't account for the cost of making the game.

The Coles even had to put a mortgage on their house to pursue development.

Where did you read that?

It's a different situation when somebody is all-in, IMHO. There are enough Kickstarters in which the owners would have had the money to finance the whole game but prefered not to risk it.

No. All this shows is they didn't account for the cost of making the game.

It comes down to the same thing in the end: making games costs a lot of money, which is hard to garner even for the big names. You can't plan your way against it. So in nearly all cases the campaign will not generate the needed money and the creators will struggle to make ends meet.

Oh my!

What it proves is RPG's maybe are not as strong in the market as some want to believe and instead of everyone splitting off with their own idea's maybe some should work together.

Less is more.

I would prefer 10-15 strong companies coming out with games instead of the endless people saying they have a better mouse trap...

It comes down to the same thing in the end: making games costs a lot of money, which is hard to garner even for the big names. You can't plan your way against it. So in nearly all cases the campaign will not generate the needed money and the creators will struggle to make ends meet.

You absolutely can plan against that...that's what big companies do, as well as successful small companies....you don't shoot for the moon changing the original concept of your game because you had some great new idea without being sure you can actually do it.

I've had good luck with a lot of kickstarters. This isn't one. I always wish developers well but this one certainly won't be getting any more money from me.

I went in on the original Fundraiser for this and have been pretty disturbed how often there is a change of direction in the game. I wont fund it again.

Hmmm.
I was a backer in the original KS campaign, and I think I was one of the first guys to say that something is not right with this project (if memory serves, it was about a tough design decision, and I was complaining about that)

Anyway, I think the same: The Coles are wonderful persons, their games are fabulous (yes, I like Shannara too!), they are very good at their craft: DESIGN and WRITING.
However, they are not that hot as managers, it seems.

I think what this project really needs is a certain Mr. Ken Williams in the saddle.

So instead of finishing the game, they changed it from 2.5-D hand-drawn which appears to be what a lot of people wanted and supported into a full 3-D which is more exspensive and far from finished ?

I think they should have finished the original game instead.

Back
Top Bottom