What games are you playing now?

I've got many of the these old games from when they were abandonware and you could DL them for free. Have tried Pools a couple of times over the years. I always found it just a bit too clunky to stick with for any length of time. Then again I am pretty hopeless at finishing games, new or old.

-kaos

Playing AvP 2010 and I'm enjoying it.

It's not great or anything, but a decent shooter with a decent story and nice atmosphere.

Never really understood the massive criticism it received, though I admit it's not anywhere near as good as AvP2 was upon release.

Playing AvP 2010 and I'm enjoying it.

It's not great or anything, but a decent shooter with a decent story and nice atmosphere.

Never really understood the massive criticism it received, though I admit it's not anywhere near as good as AvP2 was upon release.

I was just playing that recently as well. I thought the marine campaign was atrocious, and I couldn't bring myself to continue after the first 3-4 hours. The Predator campaign seemed a little better, but not enough for me to play to the end.

I was just playing that recently as well. I thought the marine campaign was atrocious, and I couldn't bring myself to continue after the first 3-4 hours. The Predator campaign seemed a little better, but not enough for me to play to the end.

I like all the campaigns, but I prefer playing as a marine or predator.

Atrocious is a little harsh, but to each his own :)

A:CM - now that's atrocious!

It was immediately after playing A:CM that I tried playing AvP, and it didn't seem much better to me. I think I was just burnt-out on mediocre shooters at that point.

It was immediately after playing A:CM that I tried playing AvP, and it didn't seem much better to me. I think I was just burnt-out on mediocre shooters at that point.

I tried A:CM recently myself, and the thing that really stood out was the AI, which is perhaps the worst I've ever seen in a shooter. Aliens literally stand around doing nothing half the time, and when they finally do attack - they'll do it in the most clumsy way imaginable.

To me, one of the most vital aspects of an aliens game is that you have to feel threatened and A:CM just failed in that regard.

I also think AvP 2010 visuals and story are better, but again - nothing special.

I still think AvP2 is the best game in the franchise.

Isolation had the potential to be better still, but fell apart towards the end.

Didn't you start playing that recently?

Yeah, I've been playing Alien Isolation on and off the last couple of weeks. I think I'm on the 13th mission now.

I haven't started to tire of it yet, so perhaps my limited gaming time recently has worked in it's favor. In short, I think it's the best thing to come from Sega in a very long time.

About to replay PoE with the expansion pack and lasts patch. Loaded it up last night quickly, though didn't even play for more than a few minutes.

Broke

Oh man, hate it when that happens.

I tried downloading and installing Lord of the Rings Online. It kept failing. And was a HUGE download. Had to restart, and reinstall it twice because of failure. It took a week, believe it or not, because I could only download at home, on slow DSL, overnight and it could do about a third each night.

Finally got it running, but my favorite sounding class (the rune keeper, mage type) requires spending about $15 to unlock. Finally, I said fuck that to those bait and switch assholes with shitty install software, and starting playing Redguard.

LotRO left such a bad taste in my mouth I feel like uninstalling and never going back. :)

Last edited:
Continued Divinity Original Sin(after a looong pause), still running around Cyseal ...really enjoyable combat, amazing encounters with "goofy" ring to it( a LOT better than PoE, felt too "mechanical" most of the time). Some animations could be speeded up a bit. Most of the time, humor is way off, but sometimes it makes me crack...especially between two main characters. It's too early to judge, but if they could improve on writing and characters, sequel could go very high.

I'm on the road this week, so I've been playing Gateway to the Savage Frontier on my work laptop. It's got some gameplay improvements compared to Pool of Radiance, but it doesn't feel as real a place as Phlan and its surroundings. Yes, it's nice wandering over a map and finding different cities, but it's just not as tight an experience. It's still really fun, though.

When I'm back home I might have to slip Redguard into my schedule before getting back to Morrowind. I had a lot of fun with that game, but it was a huge pain in the ass to get working. I seem to remember hitting some kind of bug I couldn't work around, so I never got to finish it. My copy was an old, but still boxed, one I found online. Someone at Bethesda had taken the paper map from each copy and burned the edges with a blowtorch to make it look right. I miss feelies like that.

I played FO:NV for a bit once again, and while I love the actual gameplay - I just can't seem to get past the dreadfully dull world and significant lack of polish.

Today, I'll check out Stasis and MGS5 and see if they can hold my attention.

Am half way through Tomb Raider (the original 1996 one). Only 9 more to go and I'll be up to date :s

-kaos

Played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor tonight.

My impression after the first hour or so is that it's fucking terrible. Sub-par visuals even on very high settings, a completely nonsensical plot as far as the setting is concerned, and annoying quest markers floating all over the screen and showing you exactly where to go.

Worst of all, it feels more like a collection of mini-games rather than an actual quest/story.

I only paid $15 for it, but I think that was still too much.

My impression after the first hour or so is that it's fucking terrible. Sub-par visuals even on very high settings, a completely nonsensical plot as far as the setting is concerned, and annoying quest markers floating all over the screen and showing you exactly where to go.

Worst of all, it feels more like a collection of mini-games rather than an actual quest/story.

I only paid $15 for it, but I think that was still too much.

I agree with most of that, except I don't think the visuals are that bad. IIRC, it was a pretty good looking game, only the setting was dire and boring.

I agree with most of that, except I don't think the visuals are that bad. IIRC, it was a pretty good looking game, only the setting was dire and boring.

The visuals aren't terrible, but I find them very disappointing for a game with such high system requirements. The character models look good, but the textures in the environment are very bland and unimpressive.

I'm also having issues with screen tearing despite having vsync on.

The visuals aren't terrible, but I find them very disappointing for a game with such high system requirements. The character models look good, but the textures in the environment are very bland and unimpressive.

I'm also having issues with screen tearing despite having vsync on.

To be honest, I hardly recall how the game looks, except that it's very brown :)

I guess that tells all about how much fun I thought it was.

Shadow of Mordor does not really show its strengths until you've started to "get to know" the local orc population. It also helps if you've got friends who have previously played the game, as orcs that have been a pain in the rear for them will show up in your games (with enough information for you to know that this orc did in fact kill your friend this many times).

I like all the campaigns, but I prefer playing as a marine or predator.

I just could not play the marine campaign because of the horrible auto-aiming. It felt like the game was doing most of the work for me (which would have made sense with a smartgun, but not a pulse rifle).

I just could not play the marine campaign because of the horrible auto-aiming. It felt like the game was doing most of the work for me (which would have made sense with a smartgun, but not a pulse rifle).

Auto-aim? I'm still playing the game and there's no auto-aim whatsoever with the Pulse Rifle. Is it because you used a controller? Some games have auto-aim when using controllers, but I always play shooters with M+KB.

Auto-aim? I'm still playing the game and there's no auto-aim whatsoever with the Pulse Rifle. Is it because you used a controller? Some games have auto-aim when using controllers, but I always play shooters with M+KB.

I played it when the game was brand new, but it's possible that they've removed the auto-aim, or at least made it far far less noticeable. Previously I could aim to the side of an enemy and still hit it. And no, I did not play it with a controller.

Back
Top Bottom