Guess who's coming to us.

P

pibbur

We had to put the old kitteh to sleep, due to renal failure and evolving heart anomalies.

Here's the new one, which we - like the old one - got from an animal protection organisation:

picture.php

I won't directly compare her adorability with Temptress' definitely adorable little one. However. This one doesn't need help eating. And she knows how to use the litter-box.

We've called her "Ruscë", which is Quenya for a female fox. The name for cat: "Mëoi" got little support in the family. Neither did my long time goal of naming cats after programming languages. But if I plan my moves carefully, for instance by bringinger to her first vet. visit alone, I may get away with "Ruscë C". If my wife comes here (which is unlikely, as she doesn't know about this sleazy website), I didn't write this.

Sad to hear about your loss, Pib.

I'm a dog person, myself, but that looks like a nice cat :)

Cuddle it a bit for me...

Nice! Pets rule.

So many people that I know personally have sworn to never own a pet again after having to euthanize their long-time companions. I just dont get that, I mean - I understand that your loss crushes you, but doesnt all the memories of your past relationship w/ that animal, all the good times you shared, not far overshadow your inevitable loss? Dont you want that again? Nothing lasts forever.

I'm glad you could get past that and move on to a new "animal companion" ='.'=

any excuse to show off our mini schnauzer puppy, now just over a year old

Attachments

• lucille.jpg
    lucille.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 46
You can probably guess that my avatar pic is my cat, Mickey (though he has many, many names). We had to euthanize our other cat last summer. Horrible to go through. The saddest part was that Mickey got really sick after she died, wouldn't eat or drink and hid from us. He was in shock from losing her... they had been together most of their 15 years. He had to go to the vet and have water injected under his skin as he became really dehydrated. He got much better soon after, and now almost a year later he is in perfect shape and still full of energy. I think he is lonely all the time, as he is much more needy and clingy with us now that he's alone.

Congrats on the new cat. And is that the view from your house? What an amazing view!

pibbur, congrats on the new pet, but that's the ugliest dog I've ever seen. ;)

Nice! Pets rule.

So many people that I know personally have sworn to never own a pet again after having to euthanize their long-time companions. I just dont get that, I mean - I understand that your loss crushes you, but doesnt all the memories of your past relationship w/ that animal, all the good times you shared, not far overshadow your inevitable loss? Dont you want that again? Nothing lasts forever.

I couldn't agree with this more.
We lost one of our two Siamese cats last year from illness and it was really really difficult, Cassie was only 4 years old and the sweetest cat I had ever known.
Jaz her sister took it as hard as we did and became like a Siamese twin to us, following us everywhere and still to this day is way more needy.

But through all the pain of losing her, having had her for those four years was a joy with a lot of great memories.

I was sad when we had to put him to sleep, but I wasn't crushed - we had seen it coming for a while, and were prepared, That doesn't always help, but this time it did.

It took some time before we decided to get a new cat. mostly for practical reasons. The first two cats we had just disappeared, the first one after a year, the second one after 2 years. We never found out what happened, one day they just didn't come home again. After losing two pets whithin a short timeframe, I had serious doubts, would I expose myself to the pain of another possible loss. Fortunately the next one lasted for more than 10 years.

According to the people at the cat rescue center, it's quite common that cat owners want their new pet to be more or less a copy of the old one. We've felt that way, and our "Ruscë", being small, orange, semi-long haired and anxious is very differerent from our late "Pascal", who was a grey, heavy, one-eyed and somewhat grumpy tiger.

Btw, the view is from our kitchen window. In the background you see the Osterøy Island. There used to be a ferry going from there to here (now replaced by a bridge). We called it the "Missing Link".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom