Gameplay vs. Story

This weekend I thought ( meanwhile watching the Skyrim trailer ) :

"But these graphical trailers tell us NOTHING about the in-game story !"

Personally, I prefer story over gameplay.

Whatever is meant with the term of "gameplay".

Interactive stories is it's own genré that books or movies aren't. Static books or movies just do not do it for me.

There do exist "interactive books". "Lone Wolf" series, for example.

Gameplay. I care nothing at all about story. If I want a story, I will read a book.

Single player -> story. If it's just me playing it, I could care less if the controls, AI, or keybindings are a little wonky. I'll figure it out and it'll fade into the background. If the story sucks, though, watch how fast I beat the game and shelve it so I can move on to something more fun. Alpha Protocol is a perfect example of this.

Multiplayer -> gameplay. Seeing as how the only multiplayer game I really play is EVE online, and they've got spreadsheet gaming down to a science, I'm good on that one.

There do exist "interactive books". "Lone Wolf" series, for example.

Still a different genré from a regular book or movie. Books can never be a replacement for a storydriven game since they aren't the same genré. The idea that a story must be consumed but not participated in is a bit odd I say.

I would never suggest that a video game could approach the depth and complexity of something like Shogun, but I've played a few that are a damned sight better than any of the Twilight series of books.

Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom