So long forums :)

KasperFauerby

Sentinel
A certain someone recently wrote:

"They have the money to spend on things with minimal costs like "helping" indies. La-di-da. If all they did was help indies, that'd be one thing. It's like people voting for politicians because they're kissing babies on TV, or going to McD to shut their kids up and get them worthless expensive toys.

Shortsighted like always."

It was in reply to a serious argument I made about.... Steam.

La-di-da? Politicians? Kissing babies? McD?
WTH?!? I'm talking about an occasional cheap game, and how I see indie games all the time on Steam. I just don't get it - maybe because I'm so short sighted :)

Anyways, although kinda funny in itself, it made me realize that this forum sadly no longer offers any interesting or relevant discussions - for me at least! It has become a waste of time in my daily life, and therefore I'm cutting it away to make room for more important stuff.

I visit forums to talk about things that excite me. Games that I like, programming problems and their solutions, music etc. I'm looking for positive attitudes and discussions, to help other people out and receive help in return when needed - not endless bickering and arguing.

It's been a *long* time since such a discussion took place here. It seems we're down to hating Bioware, hating Steam, hating.. well pretty much everything. Some even hate people for giving away free games for christ sake :)

Anyways, the real point of this post was to say a sincere thank you to the *great* RPGWatch staff for posting all those great articles and reviews, year after year. I'll still be relying on this site for my daily CRPG news!

Well, if you're going to let a single jaded gamer get to you - then I'm afraid you'll face hardships a lot in life.

Still, I don't mean to stand in the way of people who prefer a less critical or jaded approach.

Your post is perhaps a bit unfair and smells more like a rallying call - and you could have just PM'ed me about it.

But since you insist on bringing it out here in this way, I think it's good to get it out.

I'm being 100% honest when I say I have no issue leaving the Watch. It seems a lot of people are tired lately of the criticism directed towards AAA trends and developments.

I think I'm not the only one lamenting how our beloved hobby has evolved, but I'm sure I'm one of the more insisting individuals when it comes to making my position clear.

Also, it will only get worse before it gets better. I expect a good many years of mainstreaming and streamlining to come - before the market is mature enough for true innovation. Since I'm not the kind of person who can pretend to be happy about things that I REALLY don't like - I can't change and be all sunshine about it. I generally feel we have other guys taking care of that position.

If you guys prefer I GTFO - I wouldn't blame you, and I can find other outlets.

So, if you can all make it plain - or at least those of you who feel the same - I'll be the one leaving, and there won't be any bad feelings for my part. I don't think it's reasonable that I leave because of 2-3 people hoping for similar opinions, but if there are more than that - I'd feel I'm ruining your fun, and that's not really my intention.

Oh, and yeah, I really DO think the human race is shortsighted. In a BIG way - and that includes myself. So it wasn't an attack on you - and more a way of openly bitching about how stupid we all are.

Well, you will probably be back in a month or two for your RPGWatch fix :)
I don't think I had the pleasure of talking to you much on this forum, but from the little amount of posts I read, you seem like a nice person, so... so long.
Have a good rest of your life. Hope you'd visit once in a while though :)

DA, I have learnt to take some of your posts more lightly than other as I do with most online posts anyway, so who cares :p

I'd prefer everyone to stay to be honest, just put the people u don't want to talk to on the ignore list. I think I have two people there. I haven't added anyone there in a long time though, but I've been less active too.

Well, in real life I'm 99.9% sarcastic about everything. I fear the "humor" aspect is lost in writing.

Still, I honestly don't like the thought of actively ruining the fun of others - regardless of our disagreements.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Just do it like a man.

I want to make something perfectly clear - I do not intend to "rally" anyone against DArt and neither do I wish him to leave! Although I very strongly disagree with you/him most of the time I'm fully capable to "handle it" and it's not something that gets to me on a personal level.

I just became a father for the second time this friday - and it suddenly seemed absolutely absurd that I'm reading and taking part in a discussion about whether or not a $5 deal on Steam is a good or bad thing! A discussion which, incredibly enough, managed to evolve into what seemed like a personal attack in just one post!

So for many different reasons I just need a break from the forums, maybe a permanent one. As I'm sure many of you know from personal experience, forum-crawling can become a nasty habit that takes up way too much time :)
I think visiting a forum is a valid and good hobby to relax by - as long as the discussions makes sense!

As I said I will still be following the news section of this site - and maybe do a little lurking now and again :)

And btw - thanks for the nice comments in this thread!

I want to make something perfectly clear - I do not intend to "rally" anyone against DArt and neither do I wish him to leave! Although I very strongly disagree with you/him most of the time I'm fully capable to "handle it" and it's not something that gets to me on a personal level.

Good :)

I just became a father for the second time this friday - and it suddenly seemed absolutely absurd that I'm reading and taking part in a discussion about whether or not a $5 deal on Steam is a good or bad thing! A discussion which, incredibly enough, managed to evolve into what seemed like a personal attack in just one post!

Congratulations!

I mean that sincerely :)

I think you know full well that the debate wasn't about whether a good deal was good or not - but let's just leave it.

I assure you I don't go around attacking people - at least not unless they attack first.

If you think it's an attack when I call people shortsighted (yes, that includes you) - then I'm sorry. It's not intended as such.

To me, calling people shortsighted is like saying the sky is blue. Redundant, perhaps - but it bothers me.

You support Steam, and I support killing animals by eating meat. It's all a part of the same problem. Maybe Steam isn't bad for us - but I just happen to think it is.

So for many different reasons I just need a break from the forums, maybe a permanent one. As I'm sure many of you know from personal experience, forum-crawling can become a nasty habit that takes up way too much time :)
I think visiting a forum is a valid and good hobby to relax by - as long as the discussions makes sense!

That I can appreciate :)

As for whether or not I really have any part in it - I just hope you understand that anything "personal" you get from my posts is purely in your mind. I always liked you, like I do most people around here.

You're obviously more "corporate" than I am, but that doesn't have to be a negative. You just believe differently than I - and it doesn't have to be personal.

I'm sure people consider me to be completely naive and sort of "hippie-stupid"/anarchistic when I talk about anti-capitalism and so on. Doesn't bother me.

But I'm not a "polite" person, and I can be very blunt. But I don't go around attacking when it's uncalled for.

I just happen to think we're all morons ;)

You are totally right, a guy with your talents should waste invest his time making indie CRPGs for us ungrateful louts instead of posting on forums ;) (I guess I have never quite forgiven you for not finishing that fantastic-looking U1 remake… ;) )

I wonder if its true, have the forums really become more (and unecessarily) negative over time? I suppose I myself have become much more critical of games and game design, maybe simply from the long exposure and long debates about them. Maybe thats true for a lot of the old hands here. I still feel we have interesting and generally civil (as far as the internet goes) debates here though. And with all the upcoming games, there will be much to discuss again. I am still enjoying myself, although there are threads and topics that I learned to avoid.

Congratulations on your second child! Maybe if you need some diversion while bottle-feeding you'll feel like coming back.

Well, a lot of discussions boil down to something else when they were intended for and perhaps we go too far off-topic in which case we should perhaps split topics more often. I sometimes avoid topics I was really interested in at first, because they become a discussion about something else.

I am also guilty of derailing topics about something that they were not about that I am interested in.

Congratulations on your second child, and welcome back at any time!

Congrats, dad :). The arrival of sonny all those years ago changed my gaming habits, too... my regular gaming time shifted from 19:00 to 03:00, my primary gaming platform shifted back from PC to console (so much easier to feed a little one while sitting on the couch/holding a game pad than in an office chair/w keyboard). And I stopped being a gameplay tester and became a core tester instead because a core tester doesn't have to meet others online at certain times.

Yeah, sometimes it's necessary to take a break. So good luck, and enjoy your time off.

Congrats on the new child; whats going to be important in your life is probably going to be sleep. I know, have had 8 children. I can't forget when my new computer stopped working and I discovered 3 of my little nippers decided to insert about 50 pennies in the floppy drive. Computers and forums are replaceable; children are priceless.

I think one of the things I love about this forum is everyone does have an opinion and some are very passionate about it. I am married to an Italian woman who will throw a fit if her salad isn't fresh enough or they gave her mayo instead of mustard. I get passion. I appreciate everyone on this forum and like to think I have learned something here or there just by being in attendance here. Damn DArt, you're going to piss me off if you stop posting. I even appreciate Sago believe it or not

Why don't you come on over to our little corner of the world? www.rpgcodex.net

There you'll be welcomed with open arms, will encounter nothing but spirited yet fair and balanced discussion, and will come away with a sense of wonder, renewed faith in the human species, and possibly a suspicious red area around your genitalia.

r00fles!

There you'll be welcomed with open arms, will encounter nothing but spirited yet fair and balanced discussion, and will come away with a sense of wonder, renewed faith in the human species, and possibly a suspicious red area around your genitalia.

Ah spring! Love is in the air

Back
Top Bottom