Bard's Tale IV - Here Comes MCA

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As some have guessed, the participation of Chris Avellone to design a dungeon is now a stretchgoal for The Bard's Tale IV. In this case a stretch goal at $1.9 million dollars. In addition Colin McComb will join the team to design a dungeon at $1.7 million.

Some exciting news today. You asked for him, now help us get him, the one and only Chris Avellone!!

If you’re not familiar with Chris, he and I go back together to the mid-90s when he worked on the legendary cRPGs Planescape: Torment (as Lead Designer) and Fallout 2. Afterwards he co-founded Obsidian Entertainment and was the Creative Director. There he worked on many of their games, including being the Lead Designer of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas. We have very successfully worked with him before on Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, a co-operation that is still ongoing to the joy of both parties!

Chris’ involvement will be locked in the moment we pass the $1.9 million mark on the Kickstarter, where he’ll be designing the Cairn of Horrors, an all new dungeon built from the worst things that live in the imagination of Chris Avellone. The Cairn has one purpose, and that purpose is to kill you. Here’s what Chris had to say:

"I owe my career to seeing Bard's Tale II on a Commodore 64 at a friend's house. When I saw the streets of Skara Brae up and running (gasp - in simulated 3D! And in color!), I suddenly realized I didn't have to be the game master all the time in order to get my RPG fix, there was finally someone out there who had done the formidable job of creating a digital dungeon master for RPG aficionados with the same amount of lazy players as I had. So I have Brian Fargo to thank three times - first for the game itself (and all the Interplay RPGs I played to follow, including Bard's Tale I, Bard's Tale III, and Wasteland), second, for hiring me at Interplay, and third, for asking me to be a part of Bard's Tale IV - with your support, I hope we can make it happen!"

Additionally, at that funding level we’ll also make representations of your characters in your inventory screen and you’ll be able to see the gear, clothing and equipment they’re wearing, rather than a paper doll.

Along with Chris, we’re also bringing back the second Designer of Planescape: Torment and Creative Lead of Torment: Tides of Numenera, the inestimable Colin McComb! He will join our team at $1.7 million, designing a dungeon set in the Realm of the Elves, because we all know no one has mastered the craft of the Elves as Colin has.
And there is news of a new wilderness area, the Wilds of Lestras.

More information.

Probably won't buy it before release or pledge to this campaign as all stretch goals are essentially the same thing.

Nice! Glad to see his name. Backed this. Can't wait for release down the road!

So I was right - I already pledged for the $105 version.

I honestly don't think this thing is going to reach 1.9. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't look like it will.

Amazing stuff here. I hope it reaches the goal. I think it will because many people will up their pledges when they see this.

I don't think a lack of good writers prevented people from pledging for the Bard. I have high respect for MCA, but is he worth 600 000 $?

I don't think a lack of good writers prevented people from pledging for the Bard. I have high respect for MCA, but is he worth 600 000 $?

Not the work he'll do, but MCA the symbol and all the perceived cachet his name brings. For a CRPG his symbol is marginally larger than most other paper RPG writers and designers.

He's a good writer, but this is worth $600,000 because his brand is the Nike of CRPG writing.

I was happy about the first two dungeon designer stretch goals. We're talking about veteran pen and paper dungeon designers. While I like what MCA has done, he's a writer and not a dungeon designer, so I really wish they'd have come up with something else for the higher stretch goals.

I was happy about the first two dungeon designer stretch goals. We're talking about veteran pen and paper dungeon designers. While I like what MCA has done, he's a writer and not a dungeon designer, so I really wish they'd have come up with something else for the higher stretch goals.

That's the main reason I was underwhelmed with this announcement and why I don't think it will reach 1.9. When I think of MCA, I think quality characters and quality stories. Neither of which are vitally important in a dungeon crawler like Bard's Tale. He's just not a good fit for this type of game IMO.

Still hope they reach some 2M but it looks very far away ...

Bards Tale will get a big push the last few days so I think some of these goals could still be reached.

Back
Top Bottom