Temple of Elemental Evil

I absolutely love the music in ToEE. I'm so tired of the fake orchestral crap that gets spooged all over every other CRPG.

I'm at the Temple now and really haven't encountered any glitches that I'm aware of. The town quests are laughably bad though, and I can see why this game never really made a mark. Other than the dungeon crawl stuff the role-playing and interacting with NPCs part is really bad.

It's a damn shame this flopped. I agree the engine is awesome. I much prefer it to Infinity. And the radial menu is great. It's so much easier to play, and there's always a reminder of the various possible things you can do with each character. If you're a bit stumped for a turn, it's so simple to quickly browse through your options.

An update:

I've still been playing this on and off. I've had three different corrupted save games now, very irritating. I've been making tons of separate saves, so it's pretty infrequent, but still annoying.

But the biggest gripe I have is the Temple itself. I just don't get it. It's a gigantic Temple of Evil (I get that part) full of people, monsters, etc. What the heck am I doing there? I started out trying to talk to the priests, etc., but now I think I'm going to just wipe everyone out. Even wearing the disguise robes some things attack, some don't. The whole concept behind the game just isn't well thought out.

And I'll likely get flamed for this, but the resting system is just tedious. I know it's a throwback to old D&D tabletop days, but after nearly every battle you need to climb back to the top floor, exit the temple, trek back to town, etc. Random encounters happen almost every single time you try to rest to regain spells. Literally almost every time.

It gets a little tedious. In tabletop you could say "we head back to town", the DM would roll to see if there was an encounter along the way, and that's that. In this game you micromanage your return over and over and over, eating up significant chunks of time each time.

Ah well. It's still a pretty good game, and I'm surprised by how little I've ever heard of it.

Hmm, I didn't get a single crash after patched up with Co8 fixes on Win2K. Of course, this was years ago (8 years about, with version V3-0-4 of the "fan fixes"). Who knows what's been screwed up since...

It doesn't crash. What happens is when you try to load a corrupted save file, a notice comes up telling you it's corrupt and won't load.

I have another kind of funny bug as well that I just remembered. My cleric is using Lareth's club of striking, which is like a 1d6 weapon that has some additional damage (+2 I think, plus some small random factor). She has 18 strength, and normally this hits for like 10-15 points… something like that.

She also has War as her domain, and has the Magic Weapon spell. I used that on the club, and when it's active she hits for 200 or so damage per hit, and she scored a critical that was over 400. And this is at level five I think. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom