My thoughts on Dungeon Siege 3 after completing it

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Let me start out by saying this: DS3 is not a Diablo clone. If you expect one, you will be disappointed. I hear people comparing it to Dark Alliance, but I haven't actually played it, so I wouldn't know (I'm not much of a console gamer). The only game DS3 reminds me of is actually Nox, a somewhat underrated game. A few similarities between DS3 and Nox:

- Both are in no man's land as far as genres goes. They're not simple hack'n slash games, due to the focus on story and lack of emphasis on the loot. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of looting, but it doesn't define your character to the same extent. In fact, the only important items in Nox were weapons. The rest can safely be ignored unless you're a Warrior. In DS3 it's slightly more important, but still nowhere near Diablo.
- Both games have a fairly limited class selection, but the classes are more than just classes: They're characters with a background that affects the game.
- Both games have slightly unorthodox controls that tend to grow comfortable after a while.
- Both games require skill beyond mad button mashing.

Anyway, moving on.

Gameplay/interface
There's been a lot of discussion regarding the gameplay and interface already, but I won't repeat all of it here. Instead, I'll just give you my opinion on it.

The gameplay is hardly intuitive, but it's actually quite smooth once you get the hang of it. On normal or above, you have to use skills wisely and know how to dodge/block or you'll be slaughtered in certain fights.

The interface shares a similar fate: Not intuitive, but quite smooth nonetheless. For example, the equip screen is on "F" instead of the usual "I", probably because F is near WASD, so you can enter the equip screen quickly. There are only two things that bother me regarding the interface:
- Why is the "Enter" button used here and there? Almost everything else is located near WASD and will be within range without lifting your hand from the keyboard, but all of a sudden "Enter" appears out of nowhere and ruins an otherwise smooth interface experience.
- Tooltips anyone? Do they exist? Maybe I just missed them? "45 Doom" - okay, what does Doom do? Defensive abilities are hotkeyd to 4, 5 and 6 and not only "Space" + 1, 2 and 3. Great stuff, but it would be terrific if I could look it up in-game instead of burning halfway through the game using "Space" + key.
EDIT: There's something called "Help Topics" in the in-game menu that explains the tooltip thing. Definitely worth a look.

Speaking of which, keybindings in combat work out great. Stances + 1, 2 and 3 with defensive abilities on 4, 5 and 6 is a great setup. I like it a lot. Dancing between stances is also a very nice gameplay experience, and works out a lot better than stance dancing for Warriors in World of Warcraft.

Loot is an important part of the gameplay, but not quite as essential as in Diablo 2, Sacred, Titan Quest etc. It does define your character, more than in Nox, but it's still not crucial - how you play the game is actually more important than equipment. Also, there is very little "grinding" in DS3, nor any need to do so. This is definitely going to be a bummer for people who like going through various difficulty settings or farming bosses in order to improve their characters.

I personally prefer to only play through it once per character, without having to grind anything, so I really like the approach of DS3, Nox and so on.

Writing
It's not what you'd expect from Obsidian, but it's still miles ahead of most hack'n slash games. Then again, DS3 is not really an ordinary hack'n slash game. For example, there are choices + consequences in DS3, which is pretty much unheard of in such games.

Also, the choices are explained at the end (classic Obsidian style) which leads to a more satisfying end than, for example, The Witcher 2 or Mass Effect 2. There's none of that "you made a choice, but you'll have to wait until the next game in the series to see if it mattered" stuff. Thank goodness! I'm getting a wee bit tired of making some all important decision without getting to see the results.

Anyhow, the writing overall is better than similar games, but it's nothing spectacular. Unfortunately, the delivery of the writing is not as good as it could've been, which might be the reason why the writing itself feels somewhat.. flat at times. This brings me to..

Sound
The sound! Overall it's of decent quality, just as you'd expect from a serious game. However, the voices tend to be a bit boring, which is something of a bummer in my opinion.

Not a lot more to say than that really, other than.. is the voice of Lucas the same guy that did the nameless hero in Gothic 3? Sounds like it, but with a different accent.

Graphics
I played DS3 on the PC with every maxed settings, and it's obviously the prettiest hack'n slash game to date. Then again, there's not a lot of competition.

It looks relatively nice, everything in the world "fits", nothing that looks awkward. The spell effects and so on all look fairly good. The faces could probably have been slightly better and the difference in gear should've been bigger. Also, the camera is a bit too close to actually enjoy the view, which is a shame. A more flexible camera should definitely be on the to-do list if they're planning a sequel. At least on the PC, not sure about consoles.

Still, I can't complain about the graphics, especially since everything ran flawlessly the whole time. This leads me to..

Technical issues/engine
The engine and various technical issues. Or rather, the lack of technical issues. This is, without any doubt, the least buggy release Obsidian has ever had. In fact, it's probably the least buggy game I've played since Blizzard last released a new game (StarCraft 2), which is pretty impressive!

I only experienced a single glitch in the entire game: Sometimes the character seems "stuck" in a certain direction. For example if the character is stuck hitting south, you can point the character in any direction and the next attack will still hit south for some reason. When this happens, I found that using the mouse to navigate direction will "unlock" it.

Beyond that, not a single glitch. I suspect there are two reasons for that:
- The scope is smaller, and more realistic, than what Obsidian usually targets. They tend to try the whole "revolution!" approach every time, though their approach is not as extreme as the approach Troika had.
- The engine is their own and the game was written from scratch, instead of inheriting some buggy engine and/or source code from someone else.

Whatever it is, it seems to have worked. In fact, they should re-use the engine, as it really is very smooth. Imagine a more tactical game, such as NWN3, with that engine and a zoomed out camera? I feel there's a lot of untapped potential here.

Conclusion
All in all, I liked it a lot. I see most reviews tend to end up at 7-8ish and that sounds about right to me. It's not a flawless game by any means, but it is a solid experience with quite a bit of replay value due to interesting classes (or rather, characters).

My final savegame showed level 27 and 11 hours, but Steam showed 18 hours. Neither is accurate, as Steam doesn't know when I'm away from the keyboard to make some food, go to the bathroom and so on, while the savegame doesn't take reloading and what not into account. My guess is that DS3 is about 12-15 hours long, 20ish hours for people that play in short sessions.

As I already explained, I feel DS3 is closer to Nox than most hack'n slash games, and that is a direction I personally like a lot. I'm simply not a hardcore hack'n slash gamer, and I generally prefer the "hybrids" that do have a decent story and only needs to be played once per character.

Edit: A small note - I played Lucas (Warrior type), and I'm currently playing Reinhart (Mage-ish fellow).

Edit 2: I completely forgot to mention companions and their AI.
Well, they're not as interesting as in most Obsidian games, but their AI is quite good - possibly the only AI controlled companions I've ever seen where they actually do well on their own. In fact, I've been saved more than once by the AI, which is actually pretty impressive. It really makes it possible to control a single character + companion without feeling the need to control the companion as well.

Last edited:
If you liked this, do yourself a favor and get your hands on Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and its sequel - as well as Champions of Norrath and that other game in the same series.

That is, if you have access to the appropriate platforms.

I wouldn't go so far as to say DS3 is identical to those games, but it's pretty damn close. Certainly MUCH closer to them than it is to either Nox or Dungeon Siege.

Oh, and thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review. I wasn't going to buy this game but I think I will buy it now when the price drops.

This was released 4 days ago, and you have already played it with all characters? How do you peopl DO this???
Anyway, thanks for the review. It actually sounds like what I was hoping for, although I nevertheless will probably wait for a pricedrop.

How does it compare with DS2, gents? For whatever reason, DS2 hit a chord with me (part of it, no doubt, was an unexplainable obsession with collecting all the named sets) and I played the heck out of it. I didn't enjoy the Diablos nearly as much, although I really couldn't say why.

This was released 4 days ago, and you have already played it with all characters? How do you peopl DO this???
Anyway, thanks for the review. It actually sounds like what I was hoping for, although I nevertheless will probably wait for a pricedrop.

I've only completed it once, with Lucas (something of a Warrior). I'm replaying it now, this time with Reinhart (a Mage-ish character).

I haven't even tried the last two characters, but I'll get there in time. :)

@dte
I never played DS2, so I wouldn't know. I might play it in not too long though, as I got both DS1 and 2 for free when I pre-ordered DS3 on Steam.

How does it compare with DS2, gents? For whatever reason, DS2 hit a chord with me (part of it, no doubt, was an unexplainable obsession with collecting all the named sets) and I played the heck out of it. I didn't enjoy the Diablos nearly as much, although I really couldn't say why.

My take:

It's inferior to DS2 in pretty much every way - except for the visuals and the voice acting.

I actually took a character thru DS2 3 times to unlock the highest level and had a great time doing it (had 2 other completions, too). Enjoyed the variety of environments, the surprisingly detailed character development (by hack-n-slash standards, at least), and the extensive exploration. The mechanics worked well for me, too—by turning on continuous attack, there wasn't much click-mania. It hit a great balance between action and relaxation.

Everything I've read so far makes me very hesitant to get DS3, but for some reason nobody seems to mention DS2 as a reference. It's always a compare/contrast with Diablo. I understand grabbing the most popular signpost, but DS2 has got to be considered most relevant, so I'm baffled as to why nobody is even mentioning it.

I'm not much of a console gamer either but I did buy a PS2 eventually for some console exclusives and Champions of Norrath is pretty much what this game is like. I liked that game, though it did get repetitive and kind of boring long before the end. I would say that about Diablo 2 though, if that adds any perspective to my feelings.

I'm buying this game because it's by Obsidian. I'm an Obsidian fanboy, no question, so I trust them to entertain me (until they let me down).

I actually took a character thru DS2 3 times to unlock the highest level and had a great time doing it (had 2 other completions, too). Enjoyed the variety of environments, the surprisingly detailed character development (by hack-n-slash standards, at least), and the extensive exploration. The mechanics worked well for me, too—by turning on continuous attack, there wasn't much click-mania. It hit a great balance between action and relaxation.

Everything I've read so far makes me very hesitant to get DS3, but for some reason nobody seems to mention DS2 as a reference. It's always a compare/contrast with Diablo. I understand grabbing the most popular signpost, but DS2 has got to be considered most relevant, so I'm baffled as to why nobody is even mentioning it.

Being such a big fan of mine, I have to wonder why you haven't noticed that I've been constantly making that very comparison when commenting on DS3 :)

I don't see any comments about the game from you in General RPG, Non-RPG, the "currently playing" thread, nor the "recently finished" thread. This thread appears to be it, and there's no mention of DS2 until I specifically asked for it. Am I missing something?

While I'd probably take your opinions with a grain of salt since I'm pretty sure we have significantly different priorities for our games (and I'd assume you'd do the same), I wouldn't intentionally ignore info you put up. After all, when it comes to games, one of my most reliable sources on the Watch is Thrasher... I does compartmentalize very goodly. ;)

I don't see any comments about the game from you in General RPG, Non-RPG, the "currently playing" thread, nor the "recently finished" thread. This thread appears to be it, and there's no mention of DS2 until I specifically asked for it. Am I missing something?

I think I spend most of my time in News Comments :)

While I'd probably take your opinions with a grain of salt since I'm pretty sure we have significantly different priorities for our games (and I'd assume you'd do the same), I wouldn't intentionally ignore info you put up. After all, when it comes to games, one of my most reliable sources on the Watch is Thrasher… I does compartmentalize very goodly. ;)

I have no basis for guaging your gaming priorities, and I never ignore people unless they make no sense - or don't contribute anything of value.

I do get the impression, though, that we may be closer to one another in terms of our gaming tastes than we are in other areas. I don't remember specifics, but I seem to recall you commenting about a few games in a way that makes a hell of a lot more sense than your usual political bullshit :)

Also, your opinion of DS2 lends further support to that theory.

I think I spend most of my time in News Comments :)
Ah, that would explain it. I read most of the Watch newsbits, but only rarely participate in the comments.

I have no basis for guaging your gaming priorities, and I never ignore people unless they make no sense - or don't contribute anything of value.

I do get the impression, though, that we may be closer to one another in terms of our gaming tastes than we are in other areas. I don't remember specifics, but I seem to recall you commenting about a few games in a way that makes a hell of a lot more sense than your usual political bullshit :)

Also, your opinion of DS2 lends further support to that theory.
You generally have a more "art school" approach to your games, valuing innovation and creativity. I'm a spreadsheet gamer- gameplay is king and it hasn't significantly changed in 20-some years. I'm perfectly fine with peanut-butter-n-jelly as long as it's competently produced. That's not intended as judgmental, either, unlike our political discussions tend to be.

You generally have a more "art school" approach to your games, valuing innovation and creativity. I'm a spreadsheet gamer- gameplay is king and it hasn't significantly changed in 20-some years. I'm perfectly fine with peanut-butter-n-jelly as long as it's competently produced. That's not intended as judgmental, either, unlike our political discussions tend to be.

You've got me wrong, though.

I don't really care about innovation. I care about moving genres FORWARD - which isn't the same thing. At least, I think most people consider innovation to be about new and bright ideas. When I say "bring genres forward" - I mean take the established ideas to the fucking level they should be at :)

Basically, I'm GREEDY gamer. To compensate for not being a greedy rightie ;)

Creativity only as far as that concept is concerned, and I couldn't care less about all these new "cutesy" games or Minecraft, Braid, Portal, or whatever the hell they call them.

To me, that's not what gaming is about. That's more a sandbox where "creative" people can go wild. Fine with me, but it's not gaming as I know it.

Gameplay is king for me as well.

Small update:
I just noticed there's a thing called "Help Topics" in the in-game menu. Lots of good topics there. In other words, what I said about missing toolptips is just plain wrong.

Small update:
I just noticed there's a thing called "Help Topics" in the in-game menu. Lots of good topics there. In other words, what I said about missing toolptips is just plain wrong.

Not entirely wrong, as there SHOULD be tooltips about it :)

I won't get into why they didn't bother implementing them.

There definitely should be tool-tips, I agree. Having a list like the help topics feels a bit weird and clumsy, though the rule-system is intuitive enough at least that you can grasp most of it with one read-through.

I just finished the game with Katarina. Not sure who I enjoyed playing more, Lucas or Kat. Katarina has the coolness factor going for her but Lucas felt really powerful when you use stuff like Earthrending strike.

One thing that's a bit of a shame is that the character you're playing, well... They're pretty much stuck in inquisitive mode, you don't see a personality when you're playing. I played Lucas first and thought that, well, maybe he's just a bit boring and stiff. But when I played Katarina I had Lucas along as a follower, and you see much more of a personality there. Lucas is pretty snarky and humorous.

Awesome write-up. Better than most so-called professional reviews. Your review is to the point with a lot of little facts about the game and what you liked and didn't like about them. Write ups like yours is why I come here so often.

I love Maylander's write-ups too, because he's finished a game at least twice, by the time I get around to installing it :D DS3 is a game I'll buy when it hits the $29.99 range. It's too short for me to spend more than that on it. I'll only play it once, as the most mage-like character, and so I'm only getting 15 hours for my $30.

DS2 is getting real close to another playthrough though. I loved that game. I had two combat mages, which made things quite fun in the late game. Also, I've never played the expansion, Broken Windshield, and it deserves a looksy.

Thanks for the review, recommended it in my twitter. ( Though I started tweeting around two weeks ago , so I don't have much followers. )
It's disappointing to see that DS III has such a short length, I think a role playing game should at least take 24 hours to finish properly, less than 15 hours doesn't sound right. I mean you don't have much time to see the outcome of your role play and enjoy seeing your advancement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom