Risen Anti Aliasing

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Aha figured it out. You need to select "Vanguard" on the compatibility tab after you create a Risen profile in nHancer and it works. Don't go looking for a Vanguard profile to hack, there isnt one. I can actually run 16x AA and 16x AF without much of a frame hit. Looks great. I was hoping the grass and leaves would smooth out a bit but not really. All buildings, rocks and tree (minus leaves) are now smooth as a babies butt.

I used it when I first started playing, but quickly dropped it. That graphics engine doesn't have a lot of aliasing to begin with, and the performance hit wasn't worth it imo.

Wow the super sampling looks great Hidden, but my machine was begging for mercy! I'll stick with 16xAA, its pretty nice and reasonable for performance. I think it is a worthwhile improvement, there is lots of jaggies on trees and rocks especially now that I've seen them otherwise.

I have set the shadow-setting to medium - so that my machine can handle Super-Sampling with 25-35 FPS.

Yes 16x. 9800m GTS 1GB pushing 1400x900. I wasnt expecting it to be smooth but it is. The Super sampling is another story however.

I just don't see how that could be possible, 4X AA brought my 8800 GTS 512 (@730/2 GHz) to it's knees. Maybe I had a conflict elsewhere…

I just don't see how that could be possible, 4X AA brought my 8800 GTS 512 (@730/2 GHz) to it's knees. Maybe I had a conflict elsewhere…

Maybe you are framerate sensitive? Did you run FRAPs? I just ran FRAPs under various settings, looking at the same trees and rocks
no AA ~36 fps average
2x AA ~29 fps average
4x AA ~26 fps average
8x AA ~24 fps average
16x AA ~22 fps average

The lowest FPS I got running around the whole area was 21 fps at 16x. This is the area near the hut with Jan by the 2 wolves and an intersection.

I gotta say though, I don't notice any real improvement visually beyond 4x AA. I'm going to run that now. I was surprised that it feels smooth at 22 fps. My experience with Oblivion at 22 fps is not pleasant in comparison, particularly in combat.

I thought the 9800m GTS 1GB (mobility aka laptop) was actually an 8800gtx desktop card equivalent. Is yours a mobility card or a desktop card? If it is mobility it might explain things, the labeling on these mobility cards is an outright lie. The memory difference might mean something but generally it doesnt. I do have 4GB of RAM under vista 64, 2.3 GHz p8400 dual core. What is your machine spec?

I thought the 9800m GTS 1GB (mobility aka laptop) was actually an 8800gtx desktop card equivalent. Is yours a mobility card or a desktop card? If it is mobility it might explain things, the labeling on these mobility cards is an outright lie. The memory difference might mean something but generally it doesnt. I do have 4GB of RAM under vista 64, 2.3 GHz p8400 dual core. What is your machine spec?

My desktop system should be slightly faster- Core 2 Duo 6700 (2.66GHz), 4 GB RAM, WD Caviar Black Edition 1TB HD, Win XP Pro.

Do you also have all the other options on max setting?

Ati Radeon users

Ati Radeon users

You can enable AA:
  • Rename Risen.exe to UT3.exe
  • Disable Depth of Field in game options
  • Force enable 4X AA (or better) in Catalyst control center. 2x mode does not work for me (Sapphire Radeon HD 4890) and all I get is a black screen.

If you have force-enabled AA and your performance is poor, either disable AAA (Adaptive Anti Aliasing) in Catalyst Control Center or set it to Performance mode instead of Quality mode. It seems AAA has a huge negative effect on performance.

My desktop system should be slightly faster- Core 2 Duo 6700 (2.66GHz), 4 GB RAM, WD Caviar Black Edition 1TB HD, Win XP Pro.

Do you also have all the other options on max setting?

Yup. Not sure what is going on.

I get that on some doorway edges mbuddha, and I don't even have AA on. Probably a symptom of NVidia drivers, or somesuch.

I get that too without AA, it's rare and doesn't bother me. But with AA on it's a lot more, but I notice now it happens only on objects. NPCs, monsters, chickens, barrels. Little white pixels. It happens on BOTH my Windows 7 install and XP (but not on other games). I even tried flashing my BIOS (I needed to do it anyways)

Back
Top Bottom