What games are you playing now?

My backlog haunts me at night, rattling its chains and moaning on the stairway. Soon I'll have to woman up and face Gothic 3, Risen, and more of Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars

But right now I just reinstalled Dragon Age: Origins and I'm head-desking over installing mods. :wall: Mods in DA:O are a huge pain. But I'm seriously looking forward to diving back into it…DA:O is such a solid, robust game. I've been dabbling in Crusader Kings II since last night and falling for it again as well. But the ambient noise in my background right now is Skyrim and the Take Notes mod…it's such a good role-playing and writing exercise.

Playing ESO again and having a good time. Finally, I'm able to play on EU server with good ping, and I can enjoy combat as it was meant to be enjoyed. On top, they've fixed the weird issues with bows that I used to have, so that there are really no glitches left that I can detect.

The story remains very strong. It's truly mindboggling how much story content there is in this game, which is why you really need to stay focused when playing. If not, you'll be missing out on the heart of the game.

It can be quite overwhelming, as every single quest has meaty core dialogue - and a LOT of optional dialogue as well. So, if you're not one inclined to listen or read - you'll be bored and wanting to skip it all.

The writing is second only to Secret World for an MMO, and I think it's much stronger than SWtOR - in that I can actually take it seriously.

The quests are nearly all interesting with a lot of cool little cutscenes and meaningful plots. The entire game feels like one big main quest in terms of writing and relevance.

I love the way they handle CnC with phasing, and how your "persuasion" and "intimidate" skills are actually useful here. I think it's the first MMO I've played where my choices leave an actual mark on both myself and the world. I know other games have attempted something like this, but I always felt it was very gimmicky. Not so, here.

Of course, it's still an MMO - and you won't get a singleplayer "I'm the center of the world" experience on the same level, but it's admirable in this way.

I still love the atmosphere and the world. Very true to TES and there are countless books, notes, journals and so on to find.

I've yet to get into grouping, but I hear they've done a lot of work to ensure minimal phasing issues. But I've convinced my brother to play - and we have a common friend we need to "persuade" as well, but I'm hopeful. As such, I'll be able to make a reasonable judgement call on this aspect of the game. That said, we're very good at sticking to the same paths and we'll likely not experience issues here, as we never play those characters when we're not together. That's what alts are for :)

As for the combat system, now that it works as it should, it's very good. It's fast and responsive and in some ways it's better than Skyrim. That's because you have more tools and toys - and you can switch weapon on-the-fly. Much better than GW2 for this, as there's no delay anymore. The first person implementation is not QUITE as good as Skyrim, but definitely better than every other MMO out there. Great for immersion.

I have to say I think it's the best MMO out there right now. But it will never satisfy people who just want to jump in and kill things or collect shiny loot. It takes an effort to get something out of it, and it's not a game for short stints. At least, not when you're leveling up.

Playing Wasteland 2 currently.

Good game. I like all the skills and their effects on the gameplay, the quests are interesting and the atmosphere is thick and realistic.

I especially like the weapons strategy and how each weapon has a specific feel and effect on combat. I'm finding that I like handguns a lot, shotguns are great for multiple enemies, and my sniper is a beast at long range.

I'll talk more about it in my review ... :)

Strangely I'm not playing anything and haven't really Been since beating dark souls 2 awhile ago.

I have original sin and a few other games staring me in the face but I just don't feel like starting a long epic game right now.

My next game will probably be shadows of mordor next weekend. Looks like fun and a game I can pick up and play on and off easily.

Yeah, Shadows of Mordor looks quite cool. I'm guessing it's also quite long and epic, though..:D

I'm playing Bioshock 2 again, as I finally found a solution to the crashing problem I was having. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

I'm back to wandering around the ruins of the Capital Wasteland, shooting mutated horrors and fighting over ancient boxes of macaroni and cheese.

popped in a little known game called KOTOR - one of the only RPG's that I've ever played through more than once. the other? Mass Effect.

I'm playing Bioshock 2 again, as I finally found a solution to the crashing problem I was having. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.
Details, please. The first time I played it, I had no issues. I started a replay several months ago and got to a certain point maybe 2/3 of the way thru and the game refused to run. Backed up a save game or two and each time the game would puke. Not in exactly the same spot nor under the same conditions, but in the same general area. I don't remember much about it, but I think I was 1/2-2/3 thru the game.

I've got lots of other stuff to play long before I ever try another re-run of Bioshock2, but if there's a known issue and a known fix, I'd like to know about it.

Details, please. The first time I played it, I had no issues. I started a replay several months ago and got to a certain point maybe 2/3 of the way thru and the game refused to run. Backed up a save game or two and each time the game would puke. Not in exactly the same spot nor under the same conditions, but in the same general area. I don't remember much about it, but I think I was 1/2-2/3 thru the game.

I've got lots of other stuff to play long before I ever try another re-run of Bioshock2, but if there's a known issue and a known fix, I'd like to know about it.

When you say "it refused to run", do you mean it wouldn't start up at all? My problem was very frequent random crashing. It turns out that it had something to do with a certain Windows update that screwed with some DirectX 10 games. I had to uninstall that particular update which also meant rolling back my version of Internet Explorer to IE 9.

Here's the thread that provided that solution for me.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/8850/discussions/0/846966336225340804/

Yep, very frequent random crashes. The explanation makes sense for the way it went for me. Thanks!

I started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'm enjoying it so far, although I must say that I preferred the way augmentations and skills were done in the original Deus Ex. Sure, you can sort of follow the play style you want, but they seem to be all over the place now.

I decided to replay an old PSOne game I hadn't played in years, Vandal Hearts. I simply love it. It's the perfect lenght, around 15 hours, and has no filled at all. It doesn't have a plot or characters that are any special, but it's not bad either. Ash Lambert is simply the man, one of the best videogame heroes ever. It's simple and easy to pick up and play, you can change classes along the way, and most of all almost every map has puzzles that are just right: not frustrating, not gimmicky, they just add a bit of spice and require additional strategy. Everyone go ahead and try this now.

I liked Vandal Hearts 2 a lot as well, much darker plot, though it's closer to something like Final Fantasy Tactics. There was a sequel on PS3 and 360 as well, but it was made on budget by American developers, and it's much more forgettable.

Wasteland 2

I'm very pleased to report that I've definitely been too hard on the game in beta. My apologies for being wrong!

Game is much better than I gave it credit for, and I love the amount of details I'm discovering as I play on.

I put in around 10-15 hours, and I've now started over - as I've found too many things I wasn't aware of, and I do enjoy building an efficient party.

I think the combat system is great, especially how it works with cover and high-ground advantages. Grenades are extremely powerful, much as they should be - and my favorite weapon, the sniper rifle, has been given the proper treatment.

Also, fucking FINALLY, a tactical game that makes "overwatch" or ambush, as it's called here, as useful as it should be. I've been waiting for this since the old X-Com games.

I'm also very happy with the weapon modication system, and I only recently found out that I can break down weapons to potentially scavenge mods and parts.

Even better, I'm finding the story interesting and satisfyingly disturbing. I'm not a big fan of the quirky humor - but I knew it'd be there before playing, so it's ok. I do think the writing would have been even more intriguing as a straight-up post-apoc tale without the over-use of comic relief.

They've also greatly improved the interface since my time in beta - and there are but a few things that get in the way now.

The camera is the primary culprit. This game should have had a static angle if you ask me. Way too many details missed if you don't go out of your way to change it around constantly, and the way you enter and exit buildings with different angles - that seem almost random - is highly confusing and utterly destroys any chance I have of memorising the maps. I already suck at finding my way around - and this makes it truly awful.

I'm also finding the movement pace and the time it takes to execute skills annoyingly slow and cumbersome. It's not a big deal - but my experience tells me it'll make the later parts of the game a pain.

My main worry is if the game holds up over time, as I can imagine big battles bogging down the flow - and will likely seem like padding once you've peaked in power progression.

I hope I'm wrong and that I keep finding better weapons - and the story keeps evolving.

This game would have been near-perfect with aimed shots, perks and a decent stealth implementation.

I keep being surprised by the nuances - especially when it comes to weapons and how they're all different. Great stuff.

As it stands, I can see myself giving this one a 7-8.5 depending on how things go.

Right now, it's definitely a strong 8.

I've just completed Shadow of Mordor. It's a pretty good game, with a half decent story, fun combat and an interesting nemesis system. I still don't think it's a revelation like certain reviewers seem to think, but it's certainly not bad, and it is rather successful in making the player want to avoid dying. There is no save/reload option, as it pretty much autosaves everything, but if you die you have to live with the consequence of Sauron's army getting an upgrade.

And now.. time for a rant. I just started playing Fable Anniversary as gap solution before starting Dragon Age. What a load of rubbish! It's very, very rare that I'm genuinely frustrated by the state of a game (I'm not even miffed when playing buggy games like KotOR2 or Arcanum), but this is an atrocity.

The original Fable actually had a surprisingly good PC port. It was certainly possible to notice that it was a port, due to certain limitations like assigning spells, but overall it worked rather well.

The new version, however, is just terrible. The menus are so cumbersome it takes ages to find anything. The camera movement is all over the place, and obviously intended for a controller and not a mouse. Even the combat is sluggish and unresponsive.

I'm absolutely baffled by the poor state of it, given the quality of the original. Only the visuals have actually been upgraded; everything else has taken a serious step back.

All in all: If you have the PC port of Fable, don't get the Anniversary edition. The original PC port is much better.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. It's an obvious rush-job to grab easy cash. Apparently, they wanted to ruin the last remnant of interest in the Fable franchise - and they succeeded.

Back
Top Bottom