Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

BG - still drawing in the crowds!

Whatever you do, don't open the coffin until you're leveled up really high...

In the first one it's the 0 key (just tested it). I would assume it's the same in the second one. Could you have done something that remapped it?

I don't think so? I haven't played in awhile, so no settings have been changed as far as I know...

I know "0" works, but I could have sworn when I was playing a few weeks back I was using some other key combo to do it. Maybe I'm misremembering, I don't know.

For now, a mouse click on the "select all" icon works pretty well, as the "0" key is kind of out of the way to press quickly.

Man, after spending a few weeks not playing BG 2, and now coming back, I realize that I really, REALLY love this darn game! :)

My first battle back was a tough one. I died about 5 times trying to clear it out, finally, I just said forget it and avoided it! I'll come back later. Then, not too long after, another hard as nails fight! This time I had no choice but to clear it and I eventually did, but it took me some tries and some strategical thinking.

Also, going back to this game after taking a breather makes things seem even more interesting and tactical. For example, I found myself using spells I hadn't used much before, and noticing new, cool effects and advantages that they gave me. I'm taking more time and playing strategically to maximize the magic system and it's really a blast so far. It's a thinking game.

Oh, bit of a downer for me, but I just realized I hadn't been playing on BG 2 classic rules!!!! In the difficulty section of the EE version, there is a slider that allows you to set the difficulty, and I had it on Normal (I think), but the next one to the right (harder) was BG2 core rules! I wish I had been playing on core rules from the start :(.

Can you guys give me a spoiler-free breakdown of the difference between the 2 difficulties? Should I move to core rules now?

Isn't there a explanation when you move the slider ? One difference I remember is that characters can be perma-killed at hardcoremode (body gets scattered) and you can fail at learning arcane spells. No friendly fire in Normal ? I haven't played much in normal mode^^

Edit: you have to roll for hitpoints in hardcore-mode, while you get maxed hitpoints in normal mode when you gain a level IIRC; I remember to change the difficulty sometimes before leveling up.

Dang. I should have noticed this back when I started my BG 1 playthrough .. :(

Oh well. I'll think about at least playing on BG 2 core rules, although I didn't see any explanation when I was messing around with it last night. I'll look again and see.

I've never been into the Forgotten Realms, but I've been reading the original 1st edition boxed set after reading an old Grognardia post about how it's not as bad as, well, what the FR became. I'm surprised at how much of the stuff in Baldur's Gate is in there, since the later versions I've seen have focused on other areas. The bit on Beregost in particular talks about the smith, the main priest, and the mage outside of town.

Anyway, I've just reached Baldur's Gate in my playthrough, which always feels like a big, slightly jarring change in play style.

Anyway, I've just reached Baldur's Gate in my playthrough, which always feels like a big, slightly jarring change in play style.

I loved how they approached that in the first BG game. For countless hours, you only ever saw that giant city on your map and weren't even sure if you'd ever explore it. Then finally, you get to explore it, and it's amazing! Crossing that giant bridge was very memorable for me, because the anticipation was high to see what the city was like.

Many hours later, it definitely didn't disappoint. It certainly is a big change in the play style up to that point, but it's a welcomed change, IMO.

I've never been into the Forgotten Realms, but I've been reading the original 1st edition boxed set after reading an old Grognardia post about how it's not as bad as, well, what the FR became. I'm surprised at how much of the stuff in Baldur's Gate is in there, since the later versions I've seen have focused on other areas. The bit on Beregost in particular talks about the smith, the main priest, and the mage outside of town.

I'm with Menigal on this one. I always reach city of BG then stop playing because I dislike the change. Still running around in city of BG feeling quite lost and bored at the same time.

I'm with Menigal on this one. I always reach city of BG then stop playing because I dislike the change. Still running around in city of BG feeling quite lost and bored at the same time.

Feeling lost is normal (the city is huge), but bored? There's something to see around every corner in that city! Almost too much (feelings of being overwhelmed at times can happen there).

Wait for the 5th or so Replay - I dread to go into all the houses to get the loot and/or the quests :)

Feeling lost is normal (the city is huge), but bored? There's something to see around every corner in that city! Almost too much (feelings of being overwhelmed at times can happen there).

The city isn't really that huge, it just seems that way because of the city is split into multiple sectors due to loading capabilities back in late 1990s. I just feel lost because the city is just there without any meaningfully divided sectors (things jumbled in everywhere) and I feel it's quite boring because I've already experienced all that with BG2.

I love the city. I think the reason a lot of people are overwhelmed by it is because they feel like they have to go into every single house or building looking for loot, and they try to do it all during their first visit.

Baldur's Gate was the first time I was ever truly impressed by a city in a game.

The city was pretty cool the first time I got to it, but it always feels like a mechanical process of clearing it to me. I think it's a combination of late game content (how much does any of that really stick in your memory?), some fairly dull quests, and the fact that you've done so much exploring at this point.

I've always felt that this part of the game should have come a lot earlier, maybe after clearing out the bandit camp, or even after clearing the Nashkel mines; something to establish your street cred. By this point in the game it just doesn't feel right to be wandering around doing what feels like earlier game content. It fits into the more sandboxy, "real RPG" style of the first game, but the flow feels a bit off by this point.

I remember being overwhelmed by it. I also remember rushing through it during early replays because the first time was so overwhelming. However, by now I've reached a point where I know every location well enough to complete it all in a rather short amount of time, so it's really just a case of remembering what's what. It's really not that massive.

Isn't there a explanation when you move the slider ? One difference I remember is that characters can be perma-killed at hardcoremode (body gets scattered) and you can fail at learning arcane spells. No friendly fire in Normal ? I haven't played much in normal mode^^

Edit: you have to roll for hitpoints in hardcore-mode, while you get maxed hitpoints in normal mode when you gain a level IIRC; I remember to change the difficulty sometimes before leveling up.

My very first play through of BG2, Aerie was perma-killed about mid-way through. I was devastated and heartbroken but I continued on, with her grayed out portrait, hoping that I could find a way to bring her back to life. It was terrible coming to the realization that I could never bring her back. Haha... Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't just reload, but I'm glad I didn't. That's a special memory.

I was also very impressed with the city of Baldur's Gate. I still am. I still enjoy reaching it, but I also don't force myself to burglarize every home either. I just have to carry on with the knowledge that other people have stuff that I don't -- kinda like real life. :D

The city isn't really that huge, it just seems that way because of the city is split into multiple sectors due to loading capabilities back in late 1990s. I just feel lost because the city is just there without any meaningfully divided sectors (things jumbled in everywhere) and I feel it's quite boring because I've already experienced all that with BG2.

How do you feel about the starting city in BG2? I assume you enjoy it more because it has meaningfully divided sectors?

I love the city. I think the reason a lot of people are overwhelmed by it is because they feel like they have to go into every single house or building looking for loot, and they try to do it all during their first visit.

Baldur's Gate was the first time I was ever truly impressed by a city in a game.

Yep, same here. I was very impressed with the city, and I thought the timing of it was great, because it gave you a break from the wilderness exploring for awhile.

And I definitely agree about that being the reason for the overwhelming feelings, because that's how I felt when I first started to explore. It was like, oh god, where do I start exploring this enormous city? Trying to remember which houses I've been in and which I haven't, etc. etc. But I found that just by relaxing and not worrying so much if I see *every* nook and cranny, I started to enjoy it much more.

It's still a very memorable moment from my BG:EE playthrough. Love that city.

The city was pretty cool the first time I got to it, but it always feels like a mechanical process of clearing it to me. I think it's a combination of late game content (how much does any of that really stick in your memory?), some fairly dull quests, and the fact that you've done so much exploring at this point.

I've always felt that this part of the game should have come a lot earlier, maybe after clearing out the bandit camp, or even after clearing the Nashkel mines; something to establish your street cred. By this point in the game it just doesn't feel right to be wandering around doing what feels like earlier game content. It fits into the more sandboxy, "real RPG" style of the first game, but the flow feels a bit off by this point.

See, I feel the change of pace of the city is exactly what's needed at that point in the game. I remember starting to feel a bit weary of exploring forests and wilderness areas, and I definitely didn't want to see any more mines.. :) ..but I thought the city came in just at the perfect time and really revitalized the game flow at that point in time.

I remember my jaw dropping as I started exploring it. It was so huge and exciting. Definitely perfect timing, IMO.

I remember being overwhelmed by it. I also remember rushing through it during early replays because the first time was so overwhelming. However, by now I've reached a point where I know every location well enough to complete it all in a rather short amount of time, so it's really just a case of remembering what's what. It's really not that massive.

Yep, overwhelming feelings came when I first started exploring it, too. But as I said, once I relaxed and just went with the flow, it started to be a very rewarding experience.

My very first play through of BG2, Aerie was perma-killed about mid-way through. I was devastated and heartbroken but I continued on, with her grayed out portrait, hoping that I could find a way to bring her back to life. It was terrible coming to the realization that I could never bring her back. Haha… Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't just reload, but I'm glad I didn't. That's a special memory.

That's awesome. I wish I was playing on those rules from the beginning of my BG:EE playthrough. I would have certainly loved to experience moments like that, and especially loved to have that feeling of "oh crap, someone can actually die for good, I have to be *very* careful" in the game. Oh well, next playthrough I will for sure use the core rules!

I was also very impressed with the city of Baldur's Gate. I still am. I still enjoy reaching it, but I also don't force myself to burglarize every home either. I just have to carry on with the knowledge that other people have stuff that I don't — kinda like real life. :D

Haha, good way to look at it! I burglarize every house, at least every house that doesn't have people walking around that will report you to the guards.. :D

Frankly, I thought BG - the city - was poorly done. The engine doesn't handle big locations very well, and this was particularly bad. The way the sections of the town and buildings were awkwardly split in two on different screens made it somewhat hard to navigate, and it was generally not a comfortable place to explore. The layout was confusing, and I clearly remember feeling the same way upon release - only worse because of the long load times.

Visually, it was fine and all, but I hate this kind of splitting up.

The same was true for Vegas in Fallout NV. Really annoying.

I never found the city particularly confusing; it's relatively simple once you get used to it.

One useful idea for navigating around the city for the first time is to make notes on individual maps and locations so that you know which exits lead to where.

I actually rather like the ironic symbolism of a huge sprawling city being literally easy to get lost in. :) But again, just pausing for a moment, taking a note or two can make it much simpler, though I agree the splitting isn't ideal and could certainly be improved.

I don't think it's a good sign that you have to make notes to find your way around ;)

But I can see I'm in the minority here, and that's ok.

For huge cities, I've been more impressed by other games. I think some of the cities in Guild Wars 2 have been among the most impressive out there.

Back
Top Bottom