Font color HUD (mod in preparation)

Shepard_the_3rd

Watchdog
Font color&size HUD (mod in preparation)

I am still tweaking the HUD fonts. Larger sizes and other colors. The hard colors white, yellow and red do not fit with the partly transparant HUD. So, I am changing them for better harmony. :)

I am still learning how to do it. Even added commands to the SCHEME.XML files where they weren't specifically indicated. And that seems to work. With a lot of trial and error of course. :D

I would appreciate some help with tweaking the help/tutorial/damage reports. That's the popup window with a timer counting down before you are able to close it. I haven't located the parameters in the scheme.xml files yet. If I enter commands myself I need to know certain parameter names and so on. Suggestions welcome.

Edit: I have already found the .XML files for the tutorial and other dialogs. :)

Last edited:
Some results sofar. I have changed the font sizes to 150% of their original values. The font colors are moderately changed. White into light blue, Red into orange, Yellow into light yellow.
The attached examples show the modded results above and the original below.

Feel free to give me feedback.

Attachments

• Dialog.jpg
    Dialog.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 66
  • HUD_Icons.jpg
    HUD_Icons.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Logging.jpg
    Logging.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Radio_Tutorial.jpg
    Radio_Tutorial.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 61
  • UpgradeScreen.jpg
    UpgradeScreen.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 59
Some results sofar. I have changed the font sizes to 150% of their original values.

Hm, wasn't there another mod who did the contrary by making the font smaller? What resolution are you using?

Resolution is not the only thing, It depends on the whole setup and the condition of your eyes if you will need larger fonts.

I have a living room setup for gaming: 32" widescreen LCD TV and cordless gamepad. Viewing distance is about 2 to 2,5 meter from the screen. The resolution of the TV is 1360x786.

For improved readability and enjoyment of the game I definately need larger fonts. My eyes aren't young anymore. :) The change of colors is not the most important part, but quite useful to track what has been changed.

Resolution is not the only thing, It depends on the whole setup and the condition of your eyes if you will need larger fonts.

Okay, I play with humble 800x600, but if your mod improves readability, I may consider including it with the next patch update, if you don't mind...

Okay, I play with humble 800x600, but if your mod improves readability, I may consider including it with the next patch update, if you don't mind…
I would be honored, but I have just started and it is far from complete and not tested yet. Haven't tried it on other resolutions.

After correcting the scheme.xml files at a dozen places there are still parts not treated yet or won't have the desired effect. I have just discovered that my adjustments won't work in space (I was still playing at the starting planet). So, I need to redo things in another .xml file....

Let's first focus on something which can be released for testing.

Let's first focus on something which can be released for testing.
I put some structure in the changes and I intend to release the mod in steps. In the mean time some test results can be obtained. It looks good on my PC, but that's no guarantee it will look good for everyone. Please share your experiences.

More info from the readme.txt file below:
==========================================================
Font color&size mod by Shepard_the_3rd
Version 0.1 (12-August-2011)

Description
—————-
This mod is intended to improve the readability of text of the game The Precursors.

The following dialogs are improved by this first draft (0.1) release:
- Dialogs while on the planet surface and in space stations.
- Radio transmissions while on the planet surface or in space stations.
- Tutorial windows.
- Small message boxes.

Installation
——————
To install extract into the installation directory.
To uninstall remove or delete the files.

Modified xml files:
<Install dir>\UI\PC\Travel\Scheme.xml
<Install dir>\UI\PC\MessageBoxes\Exclamation.xml
<Install dir>\UI\PC\MessageBoxes\QuantityChooser.xml
<Install dir>\UI\PC\MessageBoxes\Question.xml
<Install dir>\UI\PC\MessageBoxes\Tutorial.xml
==========================================================

Edit: Attached release removed. See post below for release 0.2.

Last edited:
Next steps are:
  • Dialogs and radio messages while in space
  • Inventory, Trading, et cetera
  • Cross-hairs, quick buttons, et cetera
Unfortunately I am stuck for the space dialogs. I am using the .xml structure of the August 2008 release as posted at this board. Now I discovered that the .xml files in the UI\PC\Space\ folder cause a game crash. It seems that these files (Scheme.xml and LandingPlaces.xml) are not compatible with the final release. Does any of the veterans here which files I should use? Help!
In the August 2008 release there is also a UI\PC\Planet\ folder present causing similar crashes while there is no UI\PC\Travel\ folder and that's the one which is working. Confusing!

Draft release 0.2

Updated release. Version 0.2. Includes the previous work of release 0.1 and added all dialogs related to Inventory, Upgrading, Trading, Ship, Missions, Map, Profile and Logging. :)

More details in the readme.txt file.

This was a huge amount of work. It has cost me the whole day editing and verifying. I discovered that you can edit the .xml files while the game is still running. Very convenient for testing. :D

Edit: Attached release removed. See post below for release 0.3.

Last edited:
Updated release. Version 0.2. Includes the previous work of release 0.1 and added all dialogs related to Inventory, Upgrading, Trading, Ship, Missions, Map, Profile and Logging. :)

Looks great, even on lower resolutions like the 800x600 I play at! The only fonts missing seem to be the name labels of people and objects you are looking at and the coordinates of the map in the corner. Do you think you could fix these as well?

Looks great, even on lower resolutions like the 800x600 I play at! The only fonts missing seem to be the name labels of people and objects you are looking at and the coordinates of the map in the corner. Do you think you could fix these as well?
I tried it also on my PC set to resolution 800x600 and it looked the same for me. I think the HUD is not related to the monitor resolution. Except in the original setup the smallest font sizes were pixelated and barely readable. With my mod those became readable.

The labels of people and objects are part of the various cross-hairs. And further the quickbuttons for looting. I know already how to do it and these will be done next.:)
The coordinates of the map in the upper right corner are also on my wishlist, but sofar I haven't found the proper parameters yet. I hope to find them with a more systematic approach.

Looks great, even on lower resolutions like the 800x600 I play at!

800x600?? It might be time for an upgrade there Wesp5! :)

Apologies Shepard_the_3rd but I didn't get around to unpacking the group files last night, I had technical difficulties and my PC ended up in bits instead. I'll have another go tonight.

Draft release 0.3

Updated release. Version 0.3. Includes all the improvements of the previous releases and added improvements of the complete HUD: crosshairs, fast keys, health/armour/ammo stats, info icons, weapon slots.

More info in the attached readme.txt file.

Another big step forward. :)

Edit: Attached release removed. See post below for release 0.4.

Last edited:
Draft release 0.4

Updated release. Version 0.4. Includes all the improvements of the previous releases and added improvements of the dialogs and radio messages in space!
==> Thanks to badmofo for providing the XML files. :thumbsup:

More info in the attached readme.txt file.

I have been experimenting with some coding to change the behavior a bit. The reload time after death is now reduced. :)

Edit: Attached release removed. See post below for release 0.4.

Last edited:
Draft release 0.5 - split in 2 separate mods

The work is done and all I could changed/improved has beeen done. I decided to split the work into two separate mods:
  • HUD font mod vs. 0.5
  • Menu font mod vs. 0.5

See the attached readme fiiles for more info.

Now it is complete I would like to get some feedback. After testing and fine tuning I will make the first real release of both mods.:)

Edit: Attached release of HUD font mod removed. See post below for release 0.6.
Edit2: Attachments removed due to final release here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14632

Last edited:
HUD mod draft release 0.6

On request of wesp5 I have integrated the idea of the Advanced Binoculars mod by The Silver (developed for Xenus 2: White Gold). It needed some tweaking for The Precursors and I gave it my own interpretation.:)
With the Binoculars you get Zoom and Range info as you also get with the Sniper Scope.

More info in the readme file.

Edit: Attachments removed due to final release here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14632

Last edited:
While I like the way you placed the new text, I can't see the zoom mode info…
The display for both zoom and range is event based (it's a programming term). It needs a so-called "event" before the code becomes active. This was already the case in the original implementation and when you change the zoom (mouse wheel) it will be displaced. Same holds for the range, but as you probably move it all the time it will display immediately as the view distance (range) will change with moving.
So, try again. :)

So, try again. :)

Hm, I would have bet that I didn't change the zoom on my PC at home and it was already there, while it wasn't at the university. Could this be graphics card dependent? It worked on ATI and didn't on NVIDIA. I'll try if it appears on zooming on the NVIDIA tomorrow. I guess there isn't anything you can do to start with a zoom event?

BTW, after I tested the ATI fix on my ATI 3850 card, my flashlight is gone. And it stays gone after restoring the original postprocess files. Any idea what else could cause this? Can this be disabled somewhere and I forgot that I did it?

Hm, I would have bet that I didn't change the zoom on my PC at home and it was already there, while it wasn't at the university. Could this be graphics card dependent? It worked on ATI and didn't on NVIDIA. I'll try if it appears on zooming on the NVIDIA tomorrow. I guess there isn't anything you can do to start with a zoom event?
I noticed that the first time it is shown and apparently activating the scope or binoculars is seen as event (first time after reload game, I guess). Though when activating for the second time it is not shown. That could make sense as this means no change in zoom and hence no event.

BTW, after I tested the ATI fix on my ATI 3850 card, my flashlight is gone. And it stays gone after restoring the original postprocess files. Any idea what else could cause this? Can this be disabled somewhere and I forgot that I did it?
My mod doesn't make use of the postprocess files. So, I think it is related to something else. I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom