Child Of Light - What Do Women Want?

Just curious really but how many female members does site has? Have we ever done a poll?

To Admins - do you guys run Google analytic? It can tell the sex of visitors and yes Google analytic is that scary!

Yes we run analytics and it is not relevant how many males and females are visiting RPGWatch. It isn't saying anything, so I'm not going to bother with it.

My wife plays RPGs and is a huge Gothic fan. Both my daughters play games as well, but they are less interested in RPGs but play a wide range of different games, from MMOs like League of Legends to Zoo Tycoon, The Sims, adventures and more casual browser games. They started out on Gameboy, moving to a Nintendo DS, WII and Xbox 360. They played on more consoles than I did, but always played on a PC as well.

They play games because they like to do that and in my opinion everybody should play games more often. It is a great way to waste time :)

Yes we run analytics and it is not relevant how many males and females are visiting RPGWatch. It isn't saying anything, so I'm not going to bother with it.
I don't understand this line. Are you saying Google doesn't tell you the sex or you are not interested in looking it up?

I was curious since everybody claims what others say as anecdotal and dismiss each others arguments to suit their points. So the information as to who visit this site can tell lot about gaming habits of the sexes.

Anyway it doesn't matter :)

So the information as to who visit this site can tell lot about gaming habits of the sexes.

….or it could tell a lot about how welcome women feel talking about their gaming passions.

I actually know more women that game than men. But I'm the only one I know of that's insane enough to sign up to a forum and talk about it, and occasionally combat ignorance on the topic.

I don't understand this line. Are you saying Google doesn't tell you the sex or you are not interested in looking it up?

I was curious since everybody claims what others say as anecdotal and dismiss each others arguments to suit their points. So the information as to who visit this site can tell lot about gaming habits of the sexes.

Anyway it doesn't matter :)

We have enough data through various sources to correlate that women by and large simply do not perceive games in the same way as men, and are not as dedicated to the medium in general. There's no reason why saying it should be taboo, and there is nothing negative about it in and of itself.

For instance, if we were to compile how many people pre-ordered a PS4 on Amazon when it launched last year or who lined-up at Best Buy to get Diablo 3 when it was released, I have no doubt we would find an overwhelming majority of men. There are people however who have that data, and these are the EAs and Ubisofts of this world. They know that the ones who overwhelmingly purchase their products are men, and thus the market by and large caters to their interests. Efforts to cater to female gamers have sometimes been met with success and carved niches, but it remains the exception rather than the norm.

Although environmental and cultural influences are a real factors, and individuals are multifaceted and complex to define, in the same vein, people simply aren't "blank slates" which are entirely shaped by such external influences, and entirely at their mercy, since science proves there are deep, often implacable differences between the sexes, which show up at the earliest ages often even when they are toddlers. Think about it: the aim is to give women confidence in themselves and make them believe that they can aspire to great things, but in the same vein, the underlying message given to them is that shadowy forces practically doom them to failure, which contradicts the initial premise.

Another example of this is spatial navigation and geometry, which men are consistently shown to be better at than women. This is why men are in general known to be better at navigating an unknown environment, and it might also explain in part the relatively low interest most women have toward FPS, who might find such an abstract perspective confusing. But these things certainly do not always go in the same way, for instance women have been shown to be superior at certain abilities than men, when it comes to language skills and socialization for instance.

As far as I'm concerned this is definitely not about discouraging anyone to have the hobbies they want to have. If anything I'm sure many of us men on this forum can relate to a feeling of stigma. We know that were we to be open about our hobbies to our extended social circles, it would be frowned upon, and seen to some extent as an immature and futile endeavor. Most women gamers might be made to feel like outcasts by their environments, but the truth is that we are often made to feel like outcasts ourselves, and as such we relate to that feeling. However, we should not try to deny that some profound differences between the sexes really do exist, and that they in fact are part of what makes us unique, and complementary.

Men are better at spatial navigation?? (Zloth does a (very) little research…)

Oh! Check this bit from Wikipedia!
However, spatial ability is correlated with video game exposure and other such activities, and thus gender difference in spatial ability may be linked to a difference in spatial experience, rather than actual difference in innate spatial ability. Indeed, University of Toronto researchers have discovered that differences between men and women on some tasks that require spatial skills are largely eliminated after both groups play a video game for only a few hours.

Who deleted my post? :/

I'm entitled to my opinion, aren't I?

Cmon, I say plenty of weird stuff so why does THIS one get deleted?

Does the truth hurt too much or what? I'm going to assume Aubrielle deleted it until the real culprit confesses.

Destroying my post, which didn't break any TOS, to hide what I have to say, is only evidence how true it is and how much you want to keep the "secret".

Think about it. You have the chance to debate it with me but you choose to exploit your power and remove it from sight. Your actions speak louder than words and they say you're afraid of the truth and have no other options for rebuttal.

It seems pretty clear, Aubrielle, that you've panicked because I've revealed your modus operandi. We can even see you making sure we know you're female (so you can get that special treatment) with your name and picture.

PS. I'm not a woman hater. I love women. I just have all the women I need and no reason to try to impress you or to make you like me. We both know I speak the truth and this is because these are not just my observations but also what girlfriends have confided in me. Hell, I was always impressed at how a smile could get her 10% off her petrol every 1/3 times. I think you'll find I know women very, very well. ;)

Last edited:
Aubrielle is not a moderator, she can't delete posts of others, only her own.
Throwing false accusations at people kinda invalidates what you are saying I guess.

To answer your question SirJames your post got reported. Multiple times actually.

PS: I hate having to deal with reported posts, but I will if I have to.
smiley-angry012.gif

Last edited:
Men are better at spatial navigation?? (Zloth does a (very) little research…)

Oh! Check this bit from Wikipedia!

It's actually been demonstrated countless times. As for that one, I'm not sure how reliable it is. It says it has been led by a team of psychologists, which jumps out at me as something suspicious, as I don't see what psychology has to do with the assessment of such abilities, and it could be agenda driven and lack credibility in various ways. When reading the actual link in question and the last few paragraphs, it does not seem trustworthy to me and does look biased, as the "blank slate" theory is something many in academia are very keen to prove at all costs, and they mention their goal is to attract more women into STEM, which I have nothing against, but it does seem they started with a pre-conceived thesis that was already made.

It does say however that playing a video game can improve these skills, which I have no trouble believing in. However I don't think it can be enough to erase gender differences.

….or it could tell a lot about how welcome women feel talking about their gaming passions.

I actually know more women that game than men. But I'm the only one I know of that's insane enough to sign up to a forum and talk about it, and occasionally combat ignorance on the topic.

I was asking for *visits* not who post etc. People *visits* lot of website where their views are not welcomed…

All we are getting in this thread is "I actually know more women" or "I actually know more men" etc. Given this are you not curious about this site? It will be nice to see plots over time etc. Google analytics is far better indicter than asking in poll which I why I brought it up…

Edit - if Google analytics showed that this site does not get many women or men I am sure our moderators can do something to make them more welcoming :)

To answer your question SirJames your post got reported.

smiley-angry012.gif

I am surprised you deleted his post. It was sexists but it not out of place in this thread. You should have moved the whole thread to Politics and religion? I have seen far worse here in the past...

I am surprised you deleted his post. It was sexists but it not out of place in this thread. You should have moved the whole thread to Politics and religion? I have seen far worse here in the past…

Couch probably found it offensive and felt like his news thread would be better without it, but I can't say, since it was his call as a moderator, and he doesn't have to justify his actions to me or to anyone else. I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking why it was deleted if it had been a flamingly racist post. Racism and misogyny are both symptoms of hate and ignorance.

Couch probably found it offensive and felt like his news thread would be better without it, but I can't say, since it was his call as a moderator, and he doesn't have to justify his actions to me or to anyone else. I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking why it was deleted if it had been a flamingly racist post. Racism and misogyny are both symptoms of hate and ignorance.

House rules so they can do whatever they like. I am not contesting what they did. However I did express surprised (which is different from contesting) since in the past things like what he posted got moved...

To answer your question SirJames your post got reported.

smiley-angry012.gif

Also a suggestion :)

Don't remove posts but edit them and say "content removed due to violation" etc. If you remove a post, sometime the subsequent replies etc doesn't make sense. This way people know what's going on...

Content removed due to extreme nuttiness....

When I was much younger I wished I knew what women wanted. Now, decades later, I know it is not that difficult. They aren't some mystical creatures that are impossible to understand. They actually want the same thing I do. To be treated with respect, as an equal and not some life form of lesser importance. They want to feel needed and loved by their partner, family, friends and not be treated as an object of lust (or any type of object for that matter).
It is unimportant if some study says women are better or worse in this or that when compared to men. Each woman is an individual and each of them is different from the other, just like men are. They should all be treated with respect though.

Except for trolls!

News flash: Most men I know don't like to play competitive FPS games, and even those that do only play them casually. Evidence much for you?

I'm guessing you glossed over the fact that I've been doing it for over 20 years and met thousands of players because you didn't want your point to fall flat? It's not most people I know, it's most people I MET. Thousands. That is a statistically relevant sample size. Therefore not "anecdotal".

It says it has been led by a team of psychologists, which jumps out at me as something suspicious, as I don't see what psychology has to do with the assessment of such abilities

Psychology has everything to do with the assessment of these abilities. Visual-Spatial skills are one of the areas that a psychologist will evaluate when performing a cognitive evaluation, and research examining it is primarily done by psychologists.

Back
Top Bottom