M&M: Heroes VI - Review @ GameSpy

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpy has reviewed Heroes VI, generally finding it a favourable experience but saying Ubisoft's Uplay DRM system nearly killed it for them (3/5):
Raising huge armies of gnarled fantasy creatures, thundering across the loot-laden countryside, and thrashing the kingdoms of rival heroes in epic turn-based battles is still every bit as awesome as it was when I first dove into Heroes of Might and Magic as a kid. Don't let the name switcheroo fool you: Might & Magic Heroes VI primarily sticks to the franchise's roots. It's laden with all of the excellent nitty-gritty details that strategic fantasy warfare nerds like me salivate over, but it also incorporates some updates to the formula that may not sit well with the hardcore set. As great as the underlying gameplay is, a few heinous design missteps nearly kill the experience outright, especially Ubisoft's hideous Uplay requirements.
More information.

Well I guess there's no surprise in Ubi's DRM pissing off people. The game seems good though, probably even better than H5.

These reviews also do mention some of the more glaringly obvious glitches - some of them are kind of hard to excuse because they seem almost impossible to have missed (like the placeholder graphics issue on one of the maps.)

I had a pile of fun with the previous M&M Hero's but as I have a intermittent internet connection and a serious Hate for Ubi's DRM I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Fortunately indi developers seem to be coming out with many turn based offerings and WTH I would rather support then any way.

Terry (or anyone else) - would you mind sharing some of those indie turn based games? I've been keeping up pretty well (due in no small part to RPGWatch & Rampant Coyote) with the indie RPGs, but haven't heard much if anything about any indie turn based games.

Would definitely be interested (as with others, I don't want to be using Ubi's crap DRM). I may pick up Heroes VI if its changed but probably not until its on discount (and just uses something like Steam's DRM).

Terry (or anyone else) - would you mind sharing some of those indie turn based games?

Battle Of Wesnoth is imho great - just in case you don't already have it.

I had a pile of fun with the previous M&M Hero's but as I have a intermittent internet connection and a serious Hate for Ubi's DRM I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Fortunately indi developers seem to be coming out with many turn based offerings and WTH I would rather support then any way.

I actually did have an occasion where Ubisoft's site went down while playing HoMM 6 and it didn't kill my game or anything like that. It just meant that when I logged off it couldn't sync my save games so it had to wait until the next time I logged on to do it. So the system is annoying but spotty connection shouldn't hurt you too much.

I'd still reccomend waiting for at least one more patch to get the game because of the bugs though.

The game is pretty bug free.. or at least i didn't encounter any bugs so far (i'm at the end of the first campaign).

I can say that is better then Heroes 5, it's more balanced and I quite like most of the new units and abilities. It also has a better character development.

Now the bad parts: what really annoys me is they removed the mages guild… I hate that. Another thing I dislike is the town screen: it was really nice in Heroes 5, with a beautiful view of the town. Now it's quite stupid, just a simple pop-up; I think they should've put more effort into towns.

Also, they simplified the reosurces, keeping just wood, stone, crystals and gold - another mistake in my opinion. Resources management was really important in heroes 3, while now I just buy what I don't have from the market, paying with gold (it's abundant).

The blinking cursor is still there, even after the last patch (it didn't solve it for me), but honestly it doesn't bother me that much.
If I have to rate the game based on my experience so far I say it deserved 7.5 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom