Mass Effect on PC

Sorry I just can't stand the Witcher but I'm guessing I'm more or less alone on that. Forget the combat (which I agree is totally lame). The shepherding between areas and the no return policy makes if feel like a Disney Land guided tour. I just felt completely hemmed in by the game and became bored by the incessant retreading. It had good atmosphere, I'll give it that.

I have to agree that there was excessive retreading in the demo, but I had heard that the subsequent chapters were better. Is there just as much back and forth in the subsequent chapters?

You know, this at least is one area that NWN 2 (and DA to a lesser extent) is better. You can go to strategy mode, set the camera to view a far off area transition or door, and just point and click and let the pathfinding make the back and forth a LOT less tedious…

I ahve to agree that there was excessive retreading in the demo, but I had heard that the subsequent chapters were better. Is there jsut as much back and forth in the subsequent chapters?

The demo is just the first chapter, which is the shortest and most linear of them. The other chapters are a lot larger, and a lot more open.

The demo does a poor job of representing the full game.

That doesn't answer my question though.

About excessive retreading? Well I guess that depends on what you think excessive retreading is. It's not really comparable to NWN 2 or DA, your character moves quite a bit faster than in those games, so any retreading is fairly short. I didn't notice a whole lot to be honest with you. Certainly not enough for it to be an issue.

In The Witcher you are forced to control him in tediously slow way, whereas NWN 2 at least allows you to let the game do the long pointless back and forths for you. So it's not so bad in NWN 2 (except for the long loading times)....

In The Witcher you are forced to control him in tediously slow way.

How is it tedious and slow? I didn't find it that way at all, and I've never heard anyone describe it that way before. You must have thought Gothic was extremely tedious then. :)

I guess you don't want to answer my question.

Oh well… I hope you give The Witcher another chance someday. I didn't like the demo either, but I think it's a great game overall.

It more tedious and slow in The Witcher because one can't do what one can in NWN1/2 as I wrote in post #46.

But if the story/characters is great I can ignore the tedious combat and back and forth and lack of character build customization.

Back
Top Bottom