If I buy Vampire: Bloodlines, who gets payed?

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
I noted that Vampire: Bloodlines is cheap on Stream this weekend. I have tried to buy Bloodlines for awhile but believed it was impossible since Troika no longer exist. But now I wonder... If I buy this game, who gets payed?

I bought it regardless, but I guess I was interested.

It depends on who owns the rights probably Activision as JDR said.

I bought it regardless, but I guess I was interested.

If you haven't played it you're in for a treat. And of course shame on you!!!

Says pibbur who is ashamed because he so far hasn't played Fallout and Fallout 2, and because he has played MM9 to the end.

Finished it ages ago. Been pondering about playing it again with the community patch though.

Finished it ages ago. Been pondering about playing it again with the community patch though.

Same here. I finished it using the "lite" version of one of his earlier patches. I want to do a replay with the + version.

Played as a Ventrue before. My next game will be as a Malkavian.

Same here. I finished it using the "lite" version of one of his earlier patches. I want to do a replay with the + version.

Played as a Ventrue before. My next game will be as a Malkavian.

Finished with Gangrel. Got to the sewers with Malkavian. Played a bit with Toreador too.

It depends on who owns the rights probably Activision as JDR said.

This is something I really do not like :

There aren't any royalties paid anymore, I fear.

Which would be just fine for publishers : Driving dev studios into bancruptcy so they won't have to pay anymore …

From Lar's "Status Update" last year :

The typical strategy that has caused more than one independent developer to die in the last two years is pretty cynical. It basically boils down to – publisher/distributor owes a developer money. They don’t pay. The legal hassle starts, the developer finds itself in trouble because it was counting on that money. If the developer doesn’t have sufficient financial stamina to last for quite some time and pay the required legal fees (which are very high), the developer dies, the publisher doesn’t have to pay its royalties and problem solved (from the publisher point of view).

I find this obscene, and I can easily pinpoint the developers that died because of these practices, and it’s only made possible because the revenues from the sales of the game don’t arrive directly at the developer. I get sick when I see some publishers who I know engaged in these practices boast how they steered their company through difficulty times, because they did it by using illegal methods bordering on the criminal.

Source : http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=24828&Number=417911#Post417911

My relationship with Activision got a bit sour after Vampire: Redemption. Redemption was the first attempt to create a Game Mastering system on computers before Neverwinter Nights, but they pulled the plug a bit early.

@Alrik:
There are legal constructs to take precaution against this. Many publishers for example have small firms who handle all the licenses. They are legally separated from the daily business which creates 99% of the costs.

quick crash course

Right, bought the game.
Been looking for it for awhile.

Now, how do you play it to get the most out of it.
No time for multiple play troughs nowadays.
Anyone ready with a quick list of essential files and fixes?
Without modding it away from original artistic vision.

Using Win 7 64, radeon 6850.

Anyone ready with a quick list of essential files and fixes?
Without modding it away from original artistic vision.

All you need is Wesp's patch. It fixes just about every bug the official patches didn't, and it also restores some additional content that was cut from the game. The additional content is optional.

Downloading now, thanks JDR!

Yeah. Giving it a few moments do brings me the conclusion that the artistic vision might not have been fulfilled well in the vanilla game. Social builds are awesome and fun up to a point in which you realize you can't make progress anymore due to some unskipable combat areas and bossfights.

In theory every clan should have an opportunity to beat the game, regardless of build, but the obvious alternate routes from the PnP aren't there (can't throw wealth at the problem to make it go away, can't recruit ghouls and retainers and Obfuscate wont work). Classes with two combatoriented disciplines will ultimately have an easier time. Mods may solve this problem.

Back
Top Bottom